KHL Season 2017/18

Discussion in 'The KHL' started by hansomreiste, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Go Donbass

Go Donbass Registered User

Actual human beings appear to be attending their games this year as well.

2. Finnished

Finnished Registered User

It's pretty great to see the development of the product in the last few years. Two years ago when Jokerit played some of the smaller teams it was like watching 80's hockey lol but this year it seems like HD is everywhere. Very pleasant to watch the game when the quality is good.

3. vorky

vorky @vorkywh24

If I am right, 3 or 4 clubs are still in SD. As the league said, 50% of the games was in HD three seasons/years ago, last season 80% games was in HD. The plan is to have 99% games in HD by 2020. As you know, weak teams will leave the league, especially those with SD. The situation should develop quickly. The big problem now is lighting at arenas, the league tries to develop it...

4. Rigafan

Rigafan Registered User

Isn't there some issue with streaming HD across from East Russia to Moscow? I remember this was given as a reason some time ago for why some teams still roll with SD. Some however I think are just lazy. Loko surely have enough money being pumped in to update their cameras!!

5. vorky

vorky @vorkywh24

If I understand it, the problem is with local/regional broadcasters. Therefore it depends region on region, Regional broadcasters do not have money to buy new modern equipment. Russia upgraded its TV equipment before Sochi Games, FIFA World Cup, but only in those cities where the event have taken place. Now this TV equipment is used by Match TV (run by Chernyshenko). So games broadcasted by Match TV are top notch, I would not be so sure that Loko has enough money... for example Ak Bars has a wealthy sponsor, but they switched to HD this season. The problem was that Tatneft would pay a half of the sum, but local broadcaster did not have money to pay their half.... now, they made a deal with Match TV, so using their equipment. The same happens with Loko, but only a few top games which are broadcasted by Match TV. The equipment is used for Moscow teams... and when there is more Moscow games/night, they can choose just one.

The KHL´s problem is that Russian TV market is not so developed as American. The KHL tries to develop it, but the league can not buy equipment for all clubs, local broadcasters can not buy it for 20-30 KHL games per year, etc. Even in such bad enviroment the KHL has done a lot.

stehplaetzler and Rigafan like this.