KHL Season 2017/18

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
I'm really rooting for Severstal and Kagarlitsky, they have been good recently.

I feel like this is the climax of the season, after this we're just watching SKA march their way to the Gagarin cup.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I couldn't really follow Ava's game after first period but looks like it was a good one. At least one happy day to Omsk people.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I get that SKA are probably playing their U-16 squad tonight, and even they have nothing to play for, but Severstal is having a remarkable game. Still 0-0 after the second period.

Couple minutes left in the second in Moscow, and it's 2-2.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
End of 2 in Moscow, Spartak 2 - DM 2. Bespalyov stood on his head stopping 2, 2 on 1's in the span of a minute.

So what's the only thing that could ruin what is otherwise a great game? A moron American announcer. My goodness, I don't care what round of the NHL draft every player on the ice was taken in. The reason I moved to Europe was so that I would never, ever again have to hear anything about the NHL. It's been pretty successful too, except when I have to listen to some idiot American or Canadian announcing a European hockey game.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Spartak has decent following, constantly over 9k people recently. CSKA can only dream of such crowd, not that it's even theoretically possible but they have hard time selling out their much smaller arena, usually around 4k spectators at their games.

I've heard this about CSKA, and Dynamo being, I think, Putin's team. Are Moscovites, apart from Spartak, very apathetic to hockey are just those teams along with Vityaz in the Moscow Oblast?

As has been said before it would be logical to lose some of those teams there but for upper KHL echelon influence I've read before.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I've heard this about CSKA, and Dynamo being, I think, Putin's team. Are Moscovites, apart from Spartak, very apathetic to hockey are just those teams along with Vityaz in the Moscow Oblast?

As has been said before it would be logical to lose some of those teams there but for upper KHL echelon influence I've read before.
It has long history from CCCP times. CSKA was an army team, Dynamo was Ministry of interior and Spartak was a national team or people team. So, Spartak´s fanbase is naturally bigger.

Nowadays, CSKA has really bad arena, Dynamo had some scandal last summer. So, not a good reason how to keep fans or get new one. Another reason is marketing. Spartak has one of the best marketing in the league, CSKA one of worst. Can not judge Dynamo to be honest.

And there are problems with traffic jams, but can not say how serious it is.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Wow, unbelievable. Severstal and SKA 0-0 after regulation, which means Dynamo Moscow have to win in regulation to make the playoffs.

3-2 Spartak with 9 minutes to play.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
It has long history from CCCP times. CSKA was an army team, Dynamo was Ministry of interior and Spartak was a national team or people team. So, Spartak´s fanbase is naturally bigger.

Nowadays, CSKA has really bad arena, Dynamo had some scandal last summer. So, not a good reason how to keep fans or get new one. Another reason is marketing. Spartak has one of the best marketing in the league, CSKA one of worst. Can not judge Dynamo to be honest.

And there are problems with traffic jams, but can not say how serious it is.

Cheers. I've read that before so I appreciate the brush up along with that you've added more insight.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So Spartak and Severstal are in, basically. Well done to them; to me, they were way more deserving than Dynamo who really stunk pretty bad after the impressive start.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Severstal kill a penalty in OT, and it's going to the shootout.

3 minutes left in Moscow and Spartak are up 4-2, so it may be moot what happens in St. Pete.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Cheers. I've read that before so I appreciate the brush up along with that you've added more insight.
Generally, Moscow is a bad hockey market. There is much more support in regions, like Novosibirsk etc. Hockey is only big entertaiment event in the town, especially if a city does not have a soccer team in the top tier league, so people come to arena. Moscow is different, big city, many events, people from all (not only) Russia, so no connection to local teams.

Regarding Vityaz, they have always had small fanbase. The club was established in 1996, similar story as Yugra. Of course, one of problems is travelling, people work in Moscow and it is not easy to get to Podmoskovie after a work. I guess. Traffic jams.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I can imagine what will one journalist write about Severstal if the team left the league after the season. :D

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I have no idea why KHL keeps putting all games in the same slot. It's SATURDAY and I'm pretty sure Loko can play before or after Jokerit. But nah, just make them both play at the same time so people who'd prefer watching both shall not be able to do so. Nice choice.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I have no idea why KHL keeps putting all games in the same slot. It's SATURDAY and I'm pretty sure Loko can play before or after Jokerit. But nah, just make them both play at the same time so people who'd prefer watching both shall not be able to do so. Nice choice.

Could not agree more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad