KHL Season 2017/18

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Yeah it has to feel really so bad to live in such uncertainty for a month. I think those teams who pushed so hard the last month (Amur and Sibir especially) could use a break and it maybe even favors them but mentally it has to be tough. And so unnecessary, surely you could have squeezed those 2 remaining games into previous 5 months.

Well, ending the regular season in mid january would have killed the league. Now, it's of course not ideal to have just 2 games left, but I think it's a lesser problem than having no games from January to August

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, ending the regular season in mid january would have killed the league. Now, it's of course not ideal to have just 2 games left, but I think it's a lesser problem than having no games from January to August
How so? How does having 2 meaningless (for most teams) games in the end of February change things? I don't really get the argument why should regular season games be planned at the end of February just for the sake of it. Olympics are over - start the playoffs. What's so bad about that?

If anything, teams out of playoffs could use this break to save some money on expensive foreigners selling them to NLA/DEL/whatnot. It applies to those 2 teams that still don't know that they missed the playoffs. Others will do it anyway making those 2 remaining games a meaningless farce.

Reactions: CPFC

jaco

Oct 21, 2011
From en.khl.ru:
Olympic breaks and playoff cliff hangers. KHL week in review
"Thus, if Amur can take six points from its remaining games, both against Admiral, it could top the section; however, other results could see the Khabarovsk team win both and still miss out, if Salavat, Sibir and Avangard can all match that form.":ha:

In my book, if we win both games against Admiral, we will be mathematically sure to reach a PO spot, since Avangard and Sibir cannot win all games, since one of those games is between them, or am I missing something??

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Anyone shed some light on Alex Khokhlachev? How has he played? Will his team make playoffs? What are chances he returns to KHL? Thanks in advance!
Played LW this season and played well, obviously. I think there is a good chance he returns to the NHL as a wing, for some time at least. His team will almost certainly make the playoffs.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well since the season resumes after Olympics nothing is clear but Spartak will probably make it but be out of it by around March 15.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Yeah, from second place to getting kicked out of play-offs... Just disband already. This is a disaster. I think it all ends here. Years of mediocrity will follow. Hope I'll be wrong.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Yeah, from second place to getting kicked out of play-offs... Just disband already. This is a disaster. I think it all ends here. Years of mediocrity will follow. Hope I'll be wrong.

what if amur will somehow lose to admiral in ot (1 point) and omsk will beat barys in regulation? the amount of points will be the same (88). goals difference is by far in favour of omsk. 1-1 draw in games between these teams (amur won 1:0 in omsk and avangard won 4:0 in khabarovsk). idk what matters the most in terms of making playoffs when both teams have the same amount of points.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
what if amur will somehow lose to admiral in ot (1 point) and omsk will beat barys in regulation? the amount of points will be the same (88). goals difference is by far in favour of omsk. 1-1 draw in games between these teams (amur won 1:0 in omsk and avangard won 4:0 in khabarovsk). idk what matters the most in terms of making playoffs when both teams have the same amount of points.
About the KHL : Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Thursday will be an entertaining day, with Amur playing early, Sibir and Omsk in the afternoon and the Moscow derby later in the evening. I might call in sick for work.

Reactions: kometa

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
The results in the west were equally as thrilling. You have almost the identical situation for the last 2 spots in the west as you do in the east. Dynamo Moscow needs at least an OT win to secure a playoff spot and hope that Severstal don't get any points from their game against SKA. If Spartak beat Dynamo Moscow, then it doesn't matter what happens with Severstal's game against SKA, DM will be out and Spartak and Severstal will be in.

Anyone think that maybe CSKA tanked at home against Cherepovets, so that Dynamo Moscow would on the outside looking in?

And there is a four team race for the 3rd seed in the east.

Couldn't have asked for a better end to the RS.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Why would CSKA do that? Why would CSKA ever do a favor to Spartak, which this was essentially?

Anyway, I think Dynamo has next to no chance. They looked really, really bad in the 2nd part of the season.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Finnish press is reporting that SKA's playoff matches will be delayed by one day, any truth to this rumour?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Finnish press is reporting that SKA's playoff matches will be delayed by one day, any truth to this rumour?
Not confirmed by the league. CSKA confirmed their games are delayed to be played on 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12 & 14 March. SKA told to media, here, they will play as planned, 3 March. Of course, guys like Shevchenko reported that SKA wanted to delay games to rest the players. But reports on CSKA say it has nothing to do with resting players.

Reactions: CPFC

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Amur has lost already and Sibir is losing quite badly. Everything in Avangard's hands.

Meanwhile, Traktor is in a beast mode.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
So if Sibir loses in regulation time, Avangard needs 3 points. Even a point for Sibir would guarantee their playoff spot. Amur is out if Sibir gets a point or more and Avangard gets 3 points.

And SKA and CSKA will start the playoffs on Sunday, it's now official for both clubs.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, it was 0-2 at the time.

Well and it's 3-1, -2 goals again now. Same with Avangard though. Talk about anticlimax.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad