KHL Season 2017/18

tsamolotoff

May 7, 2017
Moscow
We mostly feel the same, man, no one really likes SKA and CKSA except their fans (and CSKA has basically 0 fans on their decrepit arena)

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
We mostly feel the same, man, no one really likes SKA and CKSA except their fans (and CSKA has basically 0 fans on their decrepit arena)

For me it's more about the league structure than the performance of a particular team. If Avangard started 17-0 with a ridiculously strong team consisting of like ten thousand players most of whom just have to warm the bench so that they would not create any problems for the team by playing hockey for others, I'd feel the same - maybe a little less bitter but still hate it. All I'm looking forward to seeing is a fair, competitive organization. If it is SKA or Magnitka that gets to hoist the cup in the end, then let it be so, I'm totally fine. But what this league has turned into is a mockery of fans. You know something is wrong when watching games of a particular league makes you feel like an idiot. Why watch KHL when you're looking for a scripted, pre-arranged event? Just go for theatre, ballet, opera or some movies.

I'm hopeful, though; I gotta add that as well. KHL board is not stupid and I'm sure they are aware of the problems they're facing, solutions for which hopefully will be implemented in years to come. For example, the steps they took to reduce the number of teams is already a good one, but just not enough. I still have faith in them and I believe they have flexibility to overcome these problems in near future but until then, I guess I'll just follow scores and maybe catch some highlights here and there.

Oh and I must also say this new forum is horrible. Everything is white and you poor guys see my mullet man whenever you want to write about KHL season 2017/18. Who designed this atrocity and who thought it was a better idea to implement this over the one we previously had?

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
For me it's more about the league structure than the performance of a particular team. If Avangard started 17-0 with a ridiculously strong team consisting of like ten thousand players most of whom just have to warm the bench so that they would not create any problems for the team by playing hockey for others, I'd feel the same - maybe a little less bitter but still hate it. All I'm looking forward to seeing is a fair, competitive organization. If it is SKA or Magnitka that gets to hoist the cup in the end, then let it be so, I'm totally fine. But what this league has turned into is a mockery of fans. You know something is wrong when watching games of a particular league makes you feel like an idiot. Why watch KHL when you're looking for a scripted, pre-arranged event? Just go for theatre, ballet, opera or some movies.

I'm hopeful, though; I gotta add that as well. KHL board is not stupid and I'm sure they are aware of the problems they're facing, solutions for which hopefully will be implemented in years to come. For example, the steps they took to reduce the number of teams is already a good one, but just not enough. I still have faith in them and I believe they have flexibility to overcome these problems in near future but until then, I guess I'll just follow scores and maybe catch some highlights here and there.

Oh and I must also say this new forum is horrible. Everything is white and you poor guys see my mullet man whenever you want to write about KHL season 2017/18. Who designed this atrocity and who thought it was a better idea to implement this over the one we previously had?

I'm not a fan of the new layout either, not the worse I've seen but the old style was easier to understand whats going on.

Regarding SKA. What is wrong that they have a method that is working? They are one of the best teams you can find, off the ice that is, who market well, got high production values and seem to care about their product? Why should they be punished for doing what 99% of the rest of the league needs to start doing!

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Team needs to play in the league where it can be competitive, team needs a real vision and a purpose. That free money is thrown away and the "team owner" seems to ignore it somehow.

We should ask - why this team really exist, what's the real purpose?

It's not that I'm hating the project. The fact is that it could be done professional but it isn't and why?

'Cronyism' I've seen that thrown around a lot with Russian politics? KHL needed famous teams and Dinamo is one of them? Whos knows I just hope Dinmo doesn't vanish.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Can somebody explain 2-games ban for Kaspar? He just barely touched the referee getting out of box, and then referee was run over by Khokhlachev (IMO no way it's from Kaspar's "punch"). Or I missed something?

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Jeglic released by Torpedo. I am afraid Ticar will follow him soon, their contribution just wasn't there. Wonder where they ll land, there won't be much more KHL chances i am guessing.

And yeah not a fan of the new forum look at all, too much going on, very much loved the basicness of the old version. Is there a chance somebody creates some sort of skin option with the old look?

Reactions: Rigafan

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Can somebody explain 2-games ban for Kaspar? He just barely touched the referee getting out of box, and then referee was run over by Khokhlachev (IMO no way it's from Kaspar's "punch"). Or I missed something?

Well, kinda weird, but he still pushed a referee. If he did it harder, he would get a much stronger punishment. Still, pretty questionable decision.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine

Normally I read your rants and roll my eyes and shake my head and mutter, would you please take a breath and calm down. However, you actually captured a lot of my thinking on the issue of what's ailing the K. I would have no issue with SKA being the dominant team, if they had the best 25 man roster. But they have the best 25 man roster and about 500 other players. I mean, how is it even possible that they can continually sign whichever player leaves the NHL, and yet seemingly never have to drop a player as well? I realize they can afford it, but that's not the issue. Why are they allowed to get away with it? Also, I hate salary caps. MLB has no salary cap, and yet they have the most competitive balance of any professional sports league in NA. SKA and CSKA make a mockery of the salary cap, SKA just simply stockpiles players, and the rest of the league just atrophies. I love this league and can't wait for it to start each year. I watch as many games as I can, and usually have KHL TV on all the time. However, it's getting to be harder to watch with SKA making such a joke out of the league, and the league doing nothing to stop it.

As for this new design, I totally agree. Can we go back to the old one?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, hard cap on roster players and working waiver system would be such a simple step to work out this gong show. It would somewhat limit power of giants and spread the talent at the same time without braking anything. Yet it seems too big of the step for the KHL.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Yeah, hard cap on roster players and working waiver system would be such a simple step to work out this gong show. It would somewhat limit power of giants and spread the talent at the same time without braking anything. Yet it seems too big of the step for the KHL.

That's how European leagues generally work. Look at Spanish Primera or a lot of other leagues. Russia just doesn't have enough resources for so many hockey teams, and only few of them have enough money to sign actual stars. Without them Kovy, Kaprizov, Gusev, Sorokin, Shesterkin and probably more would have played in the NHL right now, Datsyuk retired and the league had way less good players.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
That's how European leagues generally work. Look at Spanish Primera or a lot of other leagues. Russia just doesn't have enough resources for so many hockey teams, and only few of them have enough money to sign actual stars. Without them Kovy, Kaprizov, Gusev, Sorokin, Shesterkin and probably more would have played in the NHL right now, Datsyuk retired and the league had way less good players.

I think the proper response here is "so what". The only way you'd notice the difference is that one team wouldn't be 18-0 and destroying everyone by 5 or 6 goals every game. How would that be a bad thing?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think the proper response here is "so what". The only way you'd notice the difference is that one team wouldn't be 18-0 and destroying everyone by 5 or 6 goals every game. How would that be a bad thing?

I actually don't give a f*** for the KHL. To me, it would be great, if all those guys were in the NHL right now.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I actually don't give a **** for the KHL. To me, it would be great, if all those guys were in the NHL right now.

You do not understand one thing. Good Russian players can choose. If they are not offered important NHL duty & good money, they do not have to go to the NHL. If there is an Radulov´s offer, they can move. Sorokin, Gusev, Kaprizov and co. know it, they do not need to ride the AHL bus. Of course, there are stupid young players ... their choice... nobody of them have made the important NHL role.

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
'Cronyism' I've seen that thrown around a lot with Russian politics? KHL needed famous teams and Dinamo is one of them? Whos knows I just hope Dinmo doesn't vanish.

I won't be offended it they play in VHL next season. That would be even better in my opinion.

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
Jeglic released by Torpedo. I am afraid Ticar will follow him soon, their contribution just wasn't there.

My friend is a journalist for hockey and today he did an interview with "our" Slovenian boys on the Novgorod team (Rok & Žiga) and when they were parting ways, Jeglić told him in his mixed Slovak/Slovenian language "we will see each other." So...maybe? The team is supposedly talking to a Belarussian coach as replacement for Říha, some Zankovets guy (anybody know him?). This makes no sense to me, if anything - Pokovič would be more proper. They are also trying to bring new North American players after the NHL camps are over. The attendance numbers are catastrophically low, comparable to Slovak Extraliga at the same arena before the KHL, and they are losing money like crazy. There is even a thing going around that Barry Brust wants to come back through his agent. Bratislava girls I guess :laugh:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, Zankovets coached Barys after Nazarov's firing and did pretty ok job with it. He might actually be a good head coach but evidence is pretty inconclusive at this point. Don't know if it's the most sensible option for Slovan but he was hired so we'll see pretty soon, I guess.

Jeglič got waived days ago so he is definitely looking for a new team, Slovan is a good fit. If they have money, that is.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Wow. After a pretty horrific start to the season, Dinamo Minsk have gotten themselves back into the thick of things. Beat Barys in OT the other night, and tonight they beat Dynamo Moscow in Moscow, and are tied for 8th in the west with Podolsk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad