KHL Season 2017/18

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I'm watching the Kunlun-Slovan game and it has an American announcer. To say that this guy isn't Danny Gallivan would be a slight understatement. If the 50's, 60's and 70's were the Golden Age of sports broadcasting, then the 90's onward has been the Outhouse Age.

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
Sochi will play its next handful of games at the Shayba Arena because they are hosting the World Youth Festival. Should be kind of cool. Its a better venue for games against non marquee opponents.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
It seems like every a year a team will have a victory or a loss that completely changes the team's course for the remainder of the year. You have to wonder if Admiral's 3-1 win over CSKA today was one of those games. Sure CSKA has to be tired after a long gruelling Far East road trip, but on paper they should have killed this Admiral team. For the sake of the Vladivostok fans that come out regardless of how the team is performing, you gotta hope this right's the ship for them.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Tomorrow the ЖХЛ season starts. The opening game is going to be streamed on the KHL Youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiITLiGCwtE Also on Tornado's Youtube Channel.

I actually probably watch more of the womens league games than KHL games.

I would normally rather chew on tinfoil while shaving my head with a cheese grater than watch women's sports. However, I do have a soft spot for the жхл. Was really cool seeing the building sold out in Ufa for their all star game last year.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Still early going, so I probably should wait before posting this, but I've never let discretion be the better part of valour before, so why start now.

Seems to me a certain prognisticator suggested that Sibir was much worse, personnel wise, this year than last, as a result of all the player losses. Well, although it doesn't necessarily show up in the standings, Sibir is having a very strong year thus far. They just took two on the road from a decent Barys team, and in the process totally shut down Nigel Dawes, which no team has done this year. In the two games they outscored them 7-1, including a 4-0 shutout today, and all without Stepan Sannikov who was serving a two game suspension. They probably should have beaten Avangarde on home ice, and gave CSKA all they could handle too. Granted the loss on home ice to Vityaz is a black eye, but other than that, they have performed way above expectations this year. All in all, a very nice start to the season for the boys in blue and white.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Wow Minsk, well done. Just well done :amazed:

Seems to me a certain prognisticator suggested that Sibir was much worse, personnel wise, this year than last, as a result of all the player losses.

Hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it? Really nice of you to remember me after two wins in a row but lets face it, Sibir isn't really overachieving and even then, regulation wins again Riga and Severstal were rather lucky. It's up and down season so lets just see how it goes.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I love CSKA's management. They didn't like Kvartalnov, so what did they do? Yeah, hired another fizruk, just worse. Nikitin is a poor man Kvartalnov, and not just poor, but very poor.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Wow Minsk, well done. Just well done :amazed:

Hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it? Really nice of you to remember me after two wins in a row but lets face it, Sibir isn't really overachieving and even then, regulation wins again Riga and Severstal were rather lucky. It's up and down season so lets just see how it goes.

You might want to read the first two sentences of my post once again :)

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I know, I know. It's just that since you mentioned me I felt like I had to write my own take on the situation.

Well I didn't mention you, you mentioned you :).

Don't worry, after the departure of the three young guys to CSKA, I had pretty much come to the same conclusion about Sibir as you had. And it's still early, a total collapse could be imminent.

On the bright side, Enlund and Osnovin are having a good years, and Salak has largely been outstanding in net this year.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Dynamo Minsk will present season tickets to that kid that cried, when the score became 3-0, and to his parents of course. Nice move.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Lol, CSKA has sent Okulov, Svetlakov and Kuzmenko to the VHL. It's 7 goals and 8 assists in 7 games in the KHL, btw.

Not a big deal.

You forgot to say the following:

CSKA plays in Helsinki (21 Sept) & home against Slovan (25 Sept). Just two games.

Zvezda plays three games during this period, all away games (21, 23, 25 Sept). Maybe the guys will be back in CSKA on Sept 24 to play vs Slovan next game.

I see not problem if they play the VHL instead of doing nothing in the KHL.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Lol, CSKA has sent Okulov, Svetlakov and Kuzmenko to the VHL. It's 7 goals and 8 assists in 7 games in the KHL, btw.

Utter nonsense. There should be a steep penalty for sending a guy with x amount of KHL games experience to the minors. For example they should be put on waivers once this happens and the last place team can pick them up.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Utter nonsense. There should be a steep penalty for sending a guy with x amount of KHL games experience to the minors. For example they should be put on waivers once this happens and the last place team can pick them up.

Only other teams won't be interested picking them up with the stupid contracts CSKA handed out to them.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Because he's too slow to think the game/his physical tools are too limited. He is in the KHL on merit, really good big ice player just not suited for the NHL.

Last edited:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
It looks like Slovan and Riga will cause a big headache for KHL in near future. At the end of this season, Yugra and Lada will most likely be gone. To balance things out, you need to kick one team from west. Maybe they can do without Severstal but if the whole point of reducing the amount of teams is to keep the league competitive, then you are supposed to get rid of Slovan and Riga at some point. However, this raises another question: what happened to Eurasian league?

Now to prevent a misunderstanding here, I really wish Slovan and Riga success. They are both great teams with a fan bases that can make a difference. Actual hockey teams with a culture and tradition. Though they have been consistently **** poor in recent years and by the looks of it, this is not going to change anytime soon. There were talks about Wingas or some sponsor like that but these teams are simply not there to compete with the rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad