KHL Contraction Part I (Mod Warning - Post #15)

loppa*

It said something like "it's not very realistic to expect some outsider to bring money to the club".

Russians care about Russian clubs these days, Slovan is meaningless to them.

What did Vorky post in the other topic? This,
"Strategy of development will be based on three principls: economically sustainable model, as best level of play as possible and league attractive for fans".
Slovan makes the league more attractive. That's the thing, it is in their interest to keep Slovan. They stay, so they stay, if they go so they go.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
What did Vorky post in the other topic? This,
"Strategy of development will be based on three principls: economically sustainable model, as best level of play as possible and league attractive for fans".
Slovan makes the league more attractive. That's the thing, it is in their interest to keep Slovan. They stay, so they stay, if they go so they go.

Slovan are not economically sustainable as it has been proven. Slovan doesn't make the league attractive to Russians.

loppa*

Slovan are not economically sustainable as it has been proven. Slovan doesn't make the league attractive to Russians.

Didn't they have a profit their first season or two?

Without Slovan's presence, I question if Jokerit would have ever joined. Likewise, I feel that their presence is very useful for the moment. I am aware the Bratislava in the wider scheme of things is a small backwater village compared to some big monster metropolis like say Berlin or others. They are the bait, and that's a good thing. I think the Russians should be thankful and try to run with them a little longer. It's not good to make rash decisions. Heck, if I was the one in charge I would have even kept Lev.

Edit/add:
Dug this up from the past...

Slovan had a 10million Euro budget last season. All games were sold out, which at the average ticket price of 30euro (highest in KHL) I estimate a revenue of 8 to 8,5 million in only ticket sales. The ticket price average is a rough guess, as tickets were sold in auction for over half of the season and some games averaged at a price of over 40. Add the VIP lounges which are purchased for the season by companies for the full season, that could be at least 2 million if not more. So here were are with the budget covered by only ticket sales. I'm sure the team has sponsors and merchandize sale as well, but I did not count that into my assessment. But with only ticketsales revenue Slovan managed to cover the budget.

geri

Jan 21, 2015
Vienna&DelrayBeachFL
i have put various information from different sources together:
this season slovan had 270.000 spectators, ticket price 16,18 and 20 each, makes around 5 mio € + VIP + food etc
arena rent is rumoured to be 750.000 €
budget is rumoured between 11 to 14 mio
travel cost is rumoured 4 mio € !! team travelled with chartered czeck airline airbus, to avoid dangerous russian airlines.:)
KHL general sponsor rules forbid some of our potent slovak companies to sponsor. (slovak car factories like volkswagen, kia or insurance companies, mobile providers must not sponsor because of chevrolet, sogaz, megaphon..)
due to sanctions it is said some of our russian (connected) sponsors could not pay (in time) agreed money to slovan?
therfore players+coach wait for money 4-5 months !!
we have very strange owner. other than the russian team owners, which went rich decades ago under „dark“ circumstandings, but give back some of this money to public (trough their teams), our owner makes the opposite. he dont puts money to slovan, but still uses slovan for his purposes. thats the problem..
knowing that, and together with current mangament, many companies dont want sponsor slovan.
bratislav area and business would be rich enough of offering substance sponsorships, although bratislava is smaller city, but big hokej fans heart, we have vienna area with 3 millions only 50 minutes away.
KHL must change their TV policy. they must allow non russian teams to sell the home games in their countries and keep this TV money. I had to smile when reading that now KHL will start distributing TV money of 100 mio rubles to teams. this is around 1,5 mio euro to 28 teams, is just the fuel for 1 flight from bratislava to moskva..
well, important thing now, that slovan get new owner very soon, i hope the pressure being now from almost bankrupt, gives this a good chance.
we fans, and our players would deserve it

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
It would be very sad losing Slovan as the league is trying to become more sustainable for the upcoming seasons. I'm guaranteed that if they would get a TV-contract, revenue sharing and loose up the sponsor deals, Slovan could easily survive in the league.

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
According to a news on allhockey, quoting a different source, Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg, could drop out from KHL. The main reason, lacking the financial resources for this level.

Presented options are to play in VHL, to take a break 'Spartak' type, while the team in MHL will carry on playing.

I'm expecting before the next season some teams to 'take a break' but it would be sad for a big city and also for the organisation, as in the past season they've reached the PO.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
According to a news on allhockey, quoting a different source, Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg, could drop out from KHL. The main reason, lacking the financial resources for this level.

Presented options are to play in VHL, to take a break 'Spartak' type, while the team in MHL will carry on playing.

I'm expecting before the next season some teams to 'take a break' but it would be sad for a big city and also for the organisation, as in the past season they've reached the PO.

If true, that would mean 4 teams drop out and one comes back. 25 teams next season?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Oh, right. Does anyone know about the financial situation of Riga?

From what I've gathered from the RIga thread was that they're basically sponsored by the Latvian outlet of Gazprom and I could see Gazprom cutting them off after the next season. The fans in Latvia and on this site don't seem to be very enamored with the KHL anymore (largely due to political developments over the last year).

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

Going to the VHL is not a bad option if they can't handle payroll and expenses at the current level of revenue, especially if they keep the junior team in the MHL. I'm a little skeptical of teams "taking a break" and then coming back a year or two later. We'll see if and how it works out for Spartak.

loppa*

They're not kicked out, they're dropping out supposedly because the team's success hasn't been satisfactory compared to the investments.

Obviously the real reasons were sugar coated. There is no sane rational to keep them in the KHL, in my opinion.

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
On Sportbox, there is an article saying that Admiral could cease to exist (financial issues).
Link:http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta/Hokkej/KHL/spbnews_NI528534_Budushheje_Admirala_pod_voprosom

This would be another shock (if true), as being a new organization, with success and some loyal fans, you wouldn't expect this to happen.

I don't know how the new season will look, definitely is not about adding new teams anymore but somehow try to keep the teams that are offering something to the league.

loppa*

Does anyone have confirmation that Yurga is going to leave next season?

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
It wasn't confirmed, but they applied for participation in the next KHL season. If they are welcome in the league, they intend to bring a more budget roster with more homegrown players.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Should Metallurg Novokuznetsk fold?

70 years, one runner up honor altogether.

Ownership & city are too dirt poor to pay for actual players.

Attendance sucks.

Do you guys think its time to end the Detroit Lions of Russia?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Folding is extreme, but relegation to the VHL should be an option. Kuznya doesn't have what it takes to be competitive, will never win a championship in the KHL. It's not a bad organisation by any means, just that they belong to a lower division.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
I wouldn't mind them in the VHL if they can't ice a competitive roster. Fold....no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad