Confirmed with Link: Kevin Klein Has Retired

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Playing in Europe doesn't make sense if he is injured. He wouldn't risk his future quality of life to squeak out some more seasons. Maybe he feels his play has regressed below NHL standards.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
A lot of you a missing the point he wants to keep playing in Europe. So the injury thing doesn't really make sense.

Yea it's not as physical but it's still a pro league, with strong guys and there is still hitting.

He could go play in Switzerland where he'd play in a far less physical league with a less taxing schedule playing half of the games.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
But if he is so worried about injuries..why take the risk? Especially for peanuts.

Something doesn't add up.

It might be more about coming to the conclusion that what he needs to bring to play in the NHL is just too much and what he needs to bring in the SEL might be a whole lot easier.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Possibly. But he is still capable being a NHL player, I think most of us would agree. Plus doesn't he have a family here? Ah , we shall see what happens. If I had to guess, this will scare Vegas away, and he will be in the NYR uniform come training camp..

My guess is he retires and signs on in Europe. I think he's done if he's even thinking about it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't think he has to scare Vegas away as he probably wasn't going to be picked by them.

It's very possible that he wants to go play a lighter schedule. If so I thank him for his service and hope that he enjoys the hell out of retirement.

Marc Staal, take notes.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Possibly. But he is still capable being a NHL player, I think most of us would agree. We shall see what happens. If I had to guess, this will scare Vegas away, and he will be in the NYR uniform come training camp..

I don't think any of us know that to be true about his playing ability. He certainly didn't look NHL caliber when he played his last game. Perhaps the injuries have healed as far as they're going to.

Still, this is just a rumor.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Why on earth wouldn't Klein WANT to join Vegas? not like the Rangers can win the cup either... and Klein barely played at all last year for the Rangers, didn't even see a playoff game did he? You would think he would want out, unless he just likes NY that much.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Well that's stunning. U have to think he's injured more than let on.

Really, let's not forget that just like a second ago he was by far and away the best protection Hank might have ever had in the regular season. Then all of a sudden? I mean not everyone is OV and able to net 35 goals (while injured) for what is considered a mediocre season (LOL anyone else makes 6mil+ and it's called a great season, funny how it all works).

I hope that's not what it is and it's just a personal decision, for what he was with us, I'd take him in my top 6 dmen we've had since the 05 lockout. Maybe even top 4. Not only was he a net first attitude guy, he'd come up with a few clutch goals.

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
A lot of you a missing the point he wants to keep playing in Europe. So the injury thing doesn't really make sense.

Yea it's not as physical but it's still a pro league, with strong guys and there is still hitting.
He basically has a job waiting for him in a much more relaxing country. He's going to retire while playing his favourite sport with less games and stress.

I've got a lot of respect for him making this choice.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I'm glad he looked deeply into his shortcomings and realized this. I wouldn't want him on my roster if I managed a NHL team. Good career.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Not nearly as many games though--more time to recover in between games.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
But if he is so worried about injuries..why take the risk? Especially for peanuts.

Something doesn't add up.

Who says he's "so worried" about injuries? Being banged up and sore and dreading the rigors of another taxing NHL season is different than being "so worried" about injuries. He could just be looking for something a little easier on his body at this stage in his career. I don't think that really strains credulity.

Who knows though. There are any number of reasons why he could want to walk away. I'm just speculating.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Will be sad to see him go, but that freed cap space looks mighty enticing too.

Best of luck to him. His back was just killer this year.

Maybe getting that wild haircut was bad for him after all...

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If he is injured, would think he would go the LTIR route, which would keep his benefits, maybe he is not injured enough to be on the LTIR? Anyway always liked him, hope nothing but the best for him.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Guys an absolute warrior and I wish him the best.

He played hurt for the team and gave it his all every night.

I'll miss his war drum dance.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Guys an absolute warrior and I wish him the best.

He played hurt for the team and gave it his all every night.

I'll miss his war drum dance.

Best casual vid I've seen of a Ranger since Kreider jumped out of a pool.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Sorry, but I'm not buying this. Perhaps he goes to Europe if the Rangers buy him out, but I can not understand walking away from a guaranteed $2.75M to uproot his young family and go make less in Europe. He's grossed only around $18.33M in his career, this isn't Markus Naslund walking away from $3M when he made close to $70M in his career (and probably made back that $3M for his last season in Sweden).

This would be a bizarre situation. Players don't walk away from money willingly.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
but he had a going away party. Would someone invest in streamers and balloon if they weren't being serious?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
it was obvious this year he was playing with some serious physical issues. when he was at his best with the Rangers he was easily a top 4 dman. This year he looked so slow. Sucks cause he should have been a key cog to the defense this year but his health didn't allow it.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Sorry, but I'm not buying this. Perhaps he goes to Europe if the Rangers buy him out, but I can not understand walking away from a guaranteed $2.75M to uproot his young family and go make less in Europe. He's grossed only around $18.33M in his career, this isn't Markus Naslund walking away from $3M when he made close to $70M in his career (and probably made back that $3M for his last season in Sweden).

This would be a bizarre situation. Players don't walk away from money willingly.

How much did Kovalchuk walk away from? How do you know an overseas club won't offer a long term deal that's more?

If he feels he can't compete physically in the NHL then NOW is the time to pursue a contract in Europe for multiple years - not after he's been unable to perform for a year. Who knows how serious this is.

50/50 that he "retires".

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

I agree , only way he retires is if he becomes a rangers coach in the AHL or front office guy . Getting his money in a different way

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Might there not be a background agreement with Rangers management that he retire to clear up the cap space, but they'll make good on the money somehow?

Kind of like how people kept proposing the idea of the Rangers buying Marc Staal's house.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad