Kessel's Cup Day in Toronto today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Its a bit of a non story really, as it really didn't even need to be made public that he was bringing it to Toronto.
Nobody knows his true intentions and agenda but it comes across as rubbing the cities noses in his success, knowing full well how long its been for the City wanting and longing to win it.

If he wanted to involve the city in his success he would have had some public event displaying it, in a way to thank the fans for his support over the years.
Is it a non-story or something he should have made a huge deal about? Seems like you're suggesting both in these posts.

Good for Kessel, not much of a big deal though IMO.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Nobody knows his true intentions and agenda but it comes across as rubbing the cities noses in his success, knowing full well how long its been for the City wanting and longing to win it.

If he wanted to involve the city in his success he would have had some public event displaying it, in a way to thank the fans for his support over the years.

Other players bringing it on tour involve the public in their joy and success. Its a bit odd he doesn't take it home.

he did take it home though, and then to his second home cause he lives in Toronto. Is he not allowed to move to a new city and live there?

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed

Other players bringing it on tour involve the public in their joy and success. Its a bit odd he doesn't take it home.
I've been saying this for weeks to my GF.....it just seems so selfish

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Crosby had the cup for two days because all captains of the winning teams were allowed to have it for two days.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Some of you are pretty damn sensitive. Should be a compliment to our city that he wants to bring it back here.

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed
Here I put posts up thanking ppl and talking to others with no responses ever.....today I say something, echoing the sentiments of others and I get the questions??
Yes, it seems selfish...like a kid who comes over to play and has candy....just for him.....
You played here long enough to know how rabid the fanbase is with the cup...and you bring it here to do what exactly?? Not sharing it with those who supported you throughout your time in TO...
Just seems a little weird....

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Here I put posts up thanking ppl and talking to others with no responses ever.....today I say something, echoing the sentiments of others and I get the questions??
Yes, it seems selfish...like a kid who comes over to play and has candy....just for him.....
You played here long enough to know how rabid the fanbase is with the cup...and you bring it here to do what exactly?? Not sharing it with those who supported you throughout your time in TO...

He's bringing it to Toronto because he has friends here and he wants to throw a party with them. He's hardly the first player to bring a cup to Toronto, he's not doing media events in fact no one would know or care if the media wasn't trying to make it an issue.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Except he's bringing it to spend time with his friends that...you know...supported him.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

I don't know what to say to you...maybe it's best left unsaid.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Who did he bring it here to share it with?
You are way off base with this.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Probably takes it to the sick kids hospital.
Cool story I heard a year or so ago that shows what kind of guy Phil is.

Phil used to live in my old condo (I've seen him coming/going a few times), and there was a drug store nearby. I went in last August to buy the new Sportsnet Fantasy Hockey guidebook or whatever, and Phil was on the cover. The cashier was an older woman, and she immediately saw Phil on the cover and said she loved him. Knowing full well that he lives nearby, I asked if she ever saw him come in, and she said yes he did often. She told me the last time he came in he bought like $100 in small toys, candy and chocolate. Obviously I laughed, but she quickly added that it was all for children at Sick Kids for Halloween or something. I'm sure some of you will laugh and joke that it was actually for him, but it shows how thoughtful and kind he is.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
If those kids weren't so selfish they would've allowed him to bring the cup to Thompson Park for the rest of us to have a look at.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Oh please.

There is no "rubbing it in anyone's nose" nor is there any intent to. Kessel made it very clear that he loved Toronto so I don't doubt that he made a lot of connections there.

I wish Simmons was forced to cover it.

I don't think there's a fan anywhere .. any historical timeline that would mind kessel rubbing it into Simmon's face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad