Kessel's Cup Day in Toronto today

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Agreed.

Its a bit of a non story really, as it really didn't even need to be made public that he was bringing it to Toronto.

If Leaf fans want to see the Stanley Cup they can head on down to the HHOF where its on display for much of the year.

cup-in-hhof.jpg

hockey-hall-of-fame-1.jpg
That actually isn't the same cup, not that I really care. Was there last week for the Leafs exhibit, and the cup was there, but it wasn't the same one they present on the Ice or the one the players get the day with. The original is actually in the old bank vault.

Glad he didn't do anything public, but he won it, his girl lives here and a lot of his friends do.

As for his hometown, he has a pretty bitter history with them. When he snubbed Wisconsin to go to Minnesota it was a big deal. Particularly because it was rumored to be due to a feud with Skille.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I have no grudge with Phil but I have to admit I'm irrationally annoyed by this whole thing.

edit - saw the pics of him at Sick Kids. I'd delete this if I could.

Last edited:

Looney Toonies

May 30, 2012
Canada
Good for Phil. It wasn't his fault we over payed for him, It wasn't his fault Burke/Nonis couldn't build an elite team around him, Phil did everything in his power to help us win games and for him to bring the cup to Toronto(sick kids hospital nonetheless) after dealing with our psycho media says a lot about the person he is.

Enjoy the moment Phil!

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
Way to go, Phil! :)

Thanks for bringing the Stanley Cup to Toronto. Also for visiting Sick Kids Hospital. My heart and prayers go out to those children and their families.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Way to go, Phil! :)

Thanks for bringing the Stanley Cup to Toronto. Also for visiting Sick Kids Hospital. My heart and prayers go out to those children and their families.

This. All the haters. Phil is a cancer survivor. Never forget where you came from. We didn't deserve you.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Oh, that jackass taking the Cup to Sick Kids. I mean what kind of monster would do such a thing? Typical Phil, rubbing it in the face of ill children :shakehead locker room cancer :rant:

:laugh:

Seriously though he's such a genuinely nice guy. I'll never understand the people that just hate him for no reason.

Also, this market is always begging for stars to come here. Then we finally get one that loves it here and he gets endlessly attacked for looking a certain way and not being able to win a Cup by himself.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Nobody knows his true intentions and agenda but it comes across as rubbing the cities noses in his success, knowing full well how long its been for the City wanting and longing to win it.

If he wanted to involve the city in his success he would have had some public event displaying it, in a way to thank the fans for his support over the years.

Other players bringing it on tour involve the public in their joy and success. Its a bit odd he doesn't take it home.

He still lives in Toronto, he donated millions towards charities in Toronto. Ever think he was bringing it to those charities? Especially Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto?

You seriously think his agenda is to rub it in with Toronto? He's been a private guy, forced into a spotlight. Clear as day, if you haven't noticed this in his personality, you havent been watching much Leafs.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Honestly good for him, but just myself in truth, I couldn't care about this.

I don't think I've read one article, just don't really miss Phil one bit and his leaving was what cemented #1 overall and AM.

THANK YOU KESSEL

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If Kessel doesn't drink, maybe instead of filling the cup with Champagne, he filled it full of his favourite vender's hot dogs?

Joking. Really happy everything worked out for Kessel. Feel kind of disappointed it always seem to take something like Ovechkin mocking him or getting traded to motivate the guy. Just seeing the shape he reported to in the Penguins made me wonder why he couldn't of done that with the Leafs. Don't think he's a team player type. But can't argue with his ability to have success on his own terms.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
So much salt in this thread hahaha.

Love it Kessel, happy we had you, and happy you love Toronto as much as you do. :)

I'm only sorry that cup wasn't won by us.

well he played well in the playoffs and seized the oppoertunity to win a cup on a probally the most talented team he ll ever play on ,but the way he acted the final 30 games as a leaf wont go unotoced either ,he really disrespected the coaching staff and some fellow teammates ,nice cup but I could care less seeing him with it ,why hes not on TEAM USA says a lot too

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
did i miss the part where Kessel became a Leaf again?
You don't need to be a Leaf to bring the cup back to Toronto. Toronto born players do it all the time, and he considers Toronto a second home, so who cares? It's a compliment to our city, people.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You don't need to be a Leaf to bring the cup back to Toronto. Toronto born players do it all the time, and he considers Toronto a second home, so who cares? It's a compliment to our city, people.

Toronto is still on the hook for million upon millions in retained salary paying him to play elsewhere, so its nice to see him doing a little charity work and giving back to the city.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Toronto is still on the hook for million upon millions in retained salary paying him to play elsewhere, so its nice to see him doing a little charity work and giving back to the city.

Let it go Mess. Every reply you make makes you look that much saltier.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
The salty ones are salty cause Phil made them look like idiots. Got caught up in the mob mentality instead of using the hockey knowledge that many of the posters have in spades.

And some are still at it :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

really not the point i was trying to subtly make.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
What a great act to bring the cup to sick kids. He only had so much time with it himself. Instead of getting hammered with it and partying constantly (not to say he won't get a chance to) he takes time away from himself to share it with some kids. He's a beauty.

Good for him. I was excited when he won.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Reading the first few media articles and hf posters commenting on this was hilarious. The number of people eiger to attack Kessel for "snubbing his home town" when he visited them the day prior to arriving in Torointo or "Rubbing it in Toronto's face" when he was taking it to a sick kids hospital he quietly worked with during his Leaf's tenure is just sickening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad