Kent Hughes & Jeff Gorton General Discussion Thread - The Honeymoon Is Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
60 points at first overall would be quite bad. Slaf better be more than that as a winger.
Technically, you just want him to be top 3 of his draft year once his career is over. If this draft is as crap as the scouts seems to think it is, 60 pts will end up great.

Reactions: cujo1117 and zeeto

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
I
If you take a guy first overall in the least important position you've got to have higher expectations than that.
Yes, I undertstand but if you ask me, we picked the wrong guy for 80-100 pts.
Seems like Gorton loves big, tall wingers form finnish league.
First one busted big time and was the first step in his dismissal form Rags.
I have a feeling he already started that path with Habs.

Reactions: MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
But Kirbie Dach lol, they could have picked Nazar.
I think the hope is Dach already has 2 seasons under his belt. He should flourish sooner, if he does.
If what we've seen is what we'll get...then ya...that's a flop.

They're gambling on Dach becoming a ready prospect sooner than whoever they'd draft today. I suspect that's also why they skipped on Wright.
They leave this draft with a 3rd OV center, and a 1st OV winger. Looking at it that way, considering we have a quite a bit of prospects on defense already (Guhle-Harris-Barron-Norlinder...) then their plan starts to make sense.

The encouraging sign for me, they have a plan in place and a vision. Of course, a bad plan doesn't help, but let's hope they'll be right on this.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Wright + Romanov
Wright + #13 (Nazar/Lekkerimaki/Kemell)
Slafkovski + Dach

On paper, the Habs potentially added 2 top-6 cost-controlled players over 6’4’’ for their emerging core. If Dach (and Guhle) actualise their potential under MSL’s tutelage, sacrificing Romanov will have been worthwhile. Otherwise, it’s a Drouin/Kotkaniemi debacle all over again. Quite the gamble.

I guess the Romanov renewal talks were not heading in the right direction. Or that no other asset (Anderson/Petry) could fetch the targeted mid-round pick to set up the Dach trade.

Reactions: Takeru

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
Agreed. As Bergevin said, Cs are hard to acquire. The Habs have struggled getting a top 2-1 C offensive punch since the 90s. Cs are hard to get they say, trades are hard to do, yet you put all your faith on new fan favourite Pouliot Dach.
Absolutely. As long as I have been alive, the Habs have never had strong top two centers. We lucked in to the 1OA with in Shane Wright's draft. You have to take him. We essentially took Milan Lucic over Bergeron. Wright will be a solid 2C at minimum even if he does not end up being a franchise player.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
It's a very arrogant draft day by the new management. Gorton and Bobrov are the guys that drafted Kaako, Kravtsov and Anderson top-7. I don't care if Wright went 4th. He was the pick to make. He had the track record to justify being taken first this year. Slaf is a big gamble. Then the Dach-Romanov trade is also arrogant, as if they know better how to make this player produce. Also, this trade is Hughes going with the players he knows best, Harris and Struble, that played with his sons at Northeastern, over a sure and good player in Romanov, and Romy was loved by the fans.

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick
dumpsterfire-dumpster.gif

Reactions: Rob Sense

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Absolutely. As long as I have been alive, the Habs have never had strong top two centers. We lucked in to the 1OA with in Shane Wright's draft. You have to take him. We essentially took Milan Lucic over Bergeron. Wright will be a solid 2C at minimum even if he does not end up being a franchise player.
We replaced a moron GM with a bigger moron GM.

Reactions: Tripledeke333
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad