Kent Hughes & Jeff Gorton General Discussion Thread - The Honeymoon Is Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Will there even be a PC today? Only saw Pagnotta mentioned it and it was 4 days ago.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Why is honeymoon being thrown around when it comes to Jeff Gorton and Kent Hughes? Constantly coming from former Bergevin fans. Trying to downplay Jeff Gorton’s competence by calling it a honeymoon period.

Do you see any honeymoon period here? Gorton was on the job for 6 years and Rangers fans loved him. The vast majority were upset that he got fired.

There’s no honeymoon period needed when the person in charge is competent. Hugo already completed a few moves that have been well received by the majority of fans. This is a huge contrast to Marc Bergevin who’s first move was a big red flag by hiring Michou.
Well said....

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I've really liked how these guys have moved so far. Savvy moves, more media availability, actually letting their players show some personality, bringing in new blood for a coach that people around the league actually know and respect, getting as many voices in the mix as possible (Vinny, MPP, etc).

This draft will be very interesting and a big bang to really kickstart their tenure.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well said....

I'm optimistic. Gorton has a great track record.

But the game is ever evolving. Gorton still has to make things happen here and now (now meaning over his tenure). I will say, every GM makes mistakes. So if he makes mistakes right off the bat, I won't judge him. I'll wait to see if those were the exception more than the rule, because he has such a good track record.

Reactions: BLONG7

DanT

Jan 17, 2009
Montreal

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Will there even be a PC today? Only saw Pagnotta mentioned it and it was 4 days ago.
Question...what's with Lecavalier being part of the press conference...and what is with the Roy press briefing following it?
:dunno:

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
With 14 picks in this draft you have to believe Hughes will package some of these to move up.
You can have too many picks because with a 50 contract limit you won't sign 2/3 of them.

They have no attachment to Bergevin leftovers tho so I’m guessing there will be a massive purge of the pre-2022 contracts in the next year or two.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Question...what's with Lecavalier being part of the press conference...and what is with the Roy press briefing following it?

After the Q season, Roy said he wasn't sure he was going to return to coach in Quebec. He said he would take some time to think about it.

So I'm guessing that his decision has been made and will announce it today.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014

Hopefully it's to announce that after his conversation with Wright, he's their pick at 1OA :naughty:

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
I've really liked how these guys have moved so far. Savvy moves, more media availability, actually letting their players show some personality, bringing in new blood for a coach that people around the league actually know and respect, getting as many voices in the mix as possible (Vinny, MPP, etc).

This draft will be very interesting and a big bang to really kickstart their tenure.
But I don't want to see their personality, I want to see them play hockey, when a player interview comes on its fast forward time for me. Could care less what any athlete/movie star / personality has to say.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don't think that happens until the fall, there will be questions marks until the two start playing again
I don't see it happening this soon.

Unless they go full braindead mode and draft someone like Gauthier or Lambert 1OA, most will probably give the benefit of the doubt and get behind the pick (for the time being).

Some will want to say they called it sooner than others and label it as the first misstep but the reality is it'll take a couple years before we know for sure the outcome. So caution and further moves would have to be considered before calling honeymoon over.

For sure there will be drama and hyperbole a plenty on draft day. That being said, apart from a few exceptions, I'd say most will get over it if the end result is satisfactory enough (or there's at least a clear logic behind it).
People didn't start really complaining of Bergevin until his 4th season, yet you're acting as if people didn't give him leeway at first.
Honeymoon period over before the first season? Were you in a coma since 1993? Each GM had extensive honeymoon periods.

Except maybe Gauthier, because he was basically interim after Gainey.

Let's see how this works out now, gentlemen.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
They are not getting a great start...looks like a perpetual rebuild. Horrible decisions. Duch and Bustofsky will be their legacy!!

Reactions: Tripledeke333

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
They are not getting a great start...looks like a perpetual rebuild. Horrible decisions. Duch and Bustofsky will be their legacy!!

Slav is the best goal scorer in the draft, this pick makes sense if they sign PLD. I was never sold on Wright, or Cooley.. go with the best player no matter what

Reactions: Andrei79
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad