Kent Hughes & Jeff Gorton General Discussion Thread - The Honeymoon Is Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
If Molson can't afford a few down years to ensure we win our pride back by being a perpetual contender through the draft, then he should sell the team to someone with deeper pockets and go back to selling beers.
The fans will keep coming to see Suzuki and Caufield, and a couple of years will be needed to clear unwanted contracts.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I'd be worried and livid if these guys chose such a risky player as Slafovsky as #1.

Hughes can sell but that's easy compared to building and bettering a team. Taking such a massive risk with Slafovsky would immediately raise a hundred red flags and bring scrutiny to every subsequent move. It's the kind of move that, if it turns sour, turns the Habs from a mediocre middling club into a Buffalo or Edmonton.

Godspeed HuGo, we're all counting on you.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Don't underestimate this place. By the end of July 7th, friendships will be broken, minds will be lost, battles will be fought, clans will be formed, haters will be born and blood will be spilled.
Wow, and PK Subbban isn't even in play!

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Why is honeymoon being thrown around when it comes to Jeff Gorton and Kent Hughes? Constantly coming from former Bergevin fans. Trying to downplay Jeff Gorton’s competence by calling it a honeymoon period.

Do you see any honeymoon period here? Gorton was on the job for 6 years and Rangers fans loved him. The vast majority were upset that he got fired.

There’s no honeymoon period needed when the person in charge is competent. Hugo already completed a few moves that have been well received by the majority of fans. This is a huge contrast to Marc Bergevin who’s first move was a big red flag by hiring Michou.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Why is honeymoon being thrown around when it comes to Jeff Gorton and Kent Hughes? Constantly coming from former Bergevin fans. Trying to downplay Jeff Gorton’s competence by calling it a honeymoon period.

Do you see any honeymoon period here? Gorton was on the job for 6 years and Rangers fans loved him. The vast majority were upset that he got fired.

There’s no honeymoon period needed when the person in charge is competent. Hugo already completed a few moves that have been well received by the majority of fans. This is a huge contrast to Marc Bergevin who’s first move was a big red flag by hiring Michou.

Nonsense. I love Jeff Gorton.

Stop trying to psychoanalyze people, Sigmund.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
So rename the thread to Hugo The Maestro

I promise you I will for Part II.

As it is, you misunderstood my intentions. The Honeymoon IS over, regardless of who we pick, because a segment of the fanbase will hate the pick. The first wave of HuGo haters will be born on July 7th.

I wasn't speaking about my own opinion on HuGo, just my knowledge of the fanbase, which I know very well. My own opinion is quitem oderate concerning the pick: I'd prefer Wright but am fine with all of Slaf, Cooley and Nemec to be honest.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Mol$on calling the shots. Covid is over he can sell tickets again $$$$$$
I don't really get this idea, if anything last season proved that Montreal can sell out the building while rebuilding and fans will be on board as long as there's something exciting (like Caufield and Suzuki producing) to cheer for.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
People didn't start really complaining of Bergevin until his 4th season, yet you're acting as if people didn't give him leeway at first.

...I'll freely admit I started before then...cuz it was evident he couldn't do the job...hiring Therrien as your first "accomplishment" as GM was, is, and always will be a HUGE red flag...

Reactions: Mr Mom

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Honeymoon period over before the first season? Were you in a coma since 1993? Each GM had extensive honeymoon periods.

Except maybe Gauthier, because he was basically interim after Gainey.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Hope I'm wrong but...

Suzuki
Beauvillier

Andy+26 for Beauvillier
Draft Slaf to replace Andy

That means tanking is over after 6 months and the Habs are happy to pretend to be a bubble team for the next 5 years instead of doing a proper rebuild.

1656462129140.gif

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Hope I'm wrong but...

Suzuki
Beauvillier

Andy+26 for Beauvillier
Draft Slaf to replace Andy

That means tanking is over after 6 months and the Habs are happy to pretend to be a bubble team for the next 5 years instead of doing a proper rebuild.

Beauvillier is not a C. He took 550 faceoffs in 408 games played. Please get informed.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Honeymoon period over before the first season? Were you in a coma since 1993? Each GM had extensive honeymoon periods.

Except maybe Gauthier, because he was basically interim after Gainey.

Environment is an order of magnitude more tribalized right now.

When Bergevin got hired, social media didn't even play that big a part in people's life.

I guess we'll know soon enough if I'm right... by July 20th or something like that, when a few posters will start hating on HuGo.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Environment is an order of magnitude more tribalized right now.

When Bergevin got hired, social media didn't even play that big a part in people's life.

I guess we'll know soon enough if I'm right... by July 20th or something like that, when a few posters will start hating on HuGo.

You could hire Selke or Pollock and some people would complain within the first 15 moves. That's pretty irrelevant to the "honeymoon" period which refers to the general opinion.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
People didn't start really complaining of Bergevin until his 4th season, yet you're acting as if people didn't give him leeway at first.
Yup..............he got three years, and nothing but crickets!! LOL..............and of course a few commercials for the rock star GM.
Year 4 was his start, of the undoing, and year 5 was when he $hit his pants, an entire summer......years 6 through 10 were the stupid years...

Pretty sure, we need to give these two guys 2-3 seasons to construct a proper built team, and get out of the Cap hell they were left....stay tuned.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I wonder what the PC is gonna be about tomorrow.

Are they planning on picking someone else than Wright and felt the need to prepare the fanbase for it?

What reason could there be for a PC three days before the draft?

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I wonder what the PC is gonna be about tomorrow.

Are they planning on picking someone else than Wright and felt the need to prepare the fanbase for it?

What reason could there be for a PC three days before the draft?

The same reason Hughes did a PC a day into the combine.

I don't think we will learn anything new, maybe new material for us to argue about the clues he'll leave us with lol.

Reactions: sampollock

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
where did you hear there's a press conference tomorrow?

Although I find it strange that no one else talked about this PC taking place. At least I haven't seen anything from RDS and TVASport, but I'm not exactly excited about opening their abominable websites.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Although I find it strange that no one else talked about this PC taking place. At least I haven't seen anything from RDS and TVASport, but I'm not exactly excited about opening their abominable websites.
yeah this is a strange one...

Reactions: BenchBrawl

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The fans will keep coming to see Suzuki and Caufield, and a couple of years will be needed to clear unwanted contracts.
Fans will still come during a rebuilding period as long as tickets are reasonably priced and the team is fun to watch. There's the old notion that you always have to compete in Montreal. I dont think that holds up anymore, especially after the Bergevin era. We want a competitive/sustainable team. If that leads to a group of people abandoning ship then I question their fandom in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad