Kent Hughes & Jeff Gorton General Discussion Thread - The Honeymoon Is Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
No schtick here. Is Wright really good defensively? Why do you believe that? A FLOOR of #2C in the NHL is an incredibly high expectation. Why would I expect a guy who kept falling in the eyes of scouts all over the league to have such a high floor? This doesn't make sense to me, sorry. If he dropped this year, he can continue to drop next year, until proven otherwise.
Seth Jones dropped in his draft year after being the guy that was supposed to challenge for #1. Forsberg dropped after being someone that many had going #3. Just because it happens doesn't mean there's something wrong with prospect.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Seth Jones dropped in his draft year after being the guy that was supposed to challenge for #1. Forsberg dropped after being someone that many had going #3. Just because it happens doesn't mean there's something wrong with prospect.

I wanted us to take Wright. I think he can become a star, but he can also bust. I question that his floor is #2C.

-------------------------------------

Anyway, I'm done here. Everyone knows my opinion at this point. Let the dice fall where they may.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I wanted us to take Wright. I think he can become a star, but he can also bust. I question saying his floor is #2C.
I wouldn't say he can't bust either. Feel this argument that just because he fell to 4th is somehow proof for some big negative about Wright. He will likely be a very good player. I just hope Slafkovsky will be better.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The last management liked drafting projects who needed 3 years of dedicated development without waiting the 3 years or doing any real development. Drafting guys who need patience and a good environment and letting Lefebvre and Therrien destroy them.

Dach and Slaf will be projects and we’ll see how the team does. MSL will be a better teacher than any other recent habs coach. Not sure Houle is great but he’s definitely way better than Lefebvre. The habs actually have a skills coach now, too.

Depending what you mean by project.
If I get MSL and what he's doing which is something I'd advocate for during the entire Bergevin's era......it's sink or swim baby but unlike the previous management, they'll put them in the best situation possible to not be long term project.

I don't place Dach with Caufield's age and about starting his 4th season in the NHL at the same level than Slafkovsky.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Not really. At worst he’s a 2nd line two way center which we could’ve used. Much better track record.
I'm not sure that's necessarily guaranteed to be Wright's floor. There's absolutely a plausible future where he's Nolan Patrick. Either way, I don't think it impacts the risk profile a ton even if 2C is a floor you can absolutely lock in - Nick Suzuki isn't at the level where our 2C can be Bryan Little.

If the downside risk on both is a middle-six C for Wright or an Armia-level 3rd liner for Slafkovsky, I don't think I really care much, it's a failed pick either way that doesn't meaningfully add to the team's core and we'd still be looking for a C.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Isn't the correct expression "let the chips fall where they may"?

Because for dice, it doesn't really matter where, but how they fall, which face they show, whereas where chips go is highly relevant in many games, including roulette.

Funny, when I wrote it, I had second thoughts, but I suspected the expression was "let the dominos fall where they may" for some reason. So I googled it and both chips and dice are apparently common expressions, according to Wiktionary (perhaps not the best of sources). But technically, you're right.

I guess "where" is taken as meaning which face shows up, which doesn't make sense, but probably comes from common language.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Funny, when I wrote it, I had second thoughts, but I suspected the expression was "let the dominos fall where they may" for some reason. So I googled it and both chips and dice are apparently common expressions, according to Wiktionary (perhaps not the best of sources). But technically, you're right.

I guess "where" is taken as meaning which face shows up, which doesn't make sense, but probably comes from common language.

Okay

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
While I love Superman Kent and Don Gorton, people are finally waking up to the genius of the Maestro Bergevin.

Everyone here will one day be fan of this absolute virtuoso.

«LA PLANÈTE HOCKEY N'A MAINTENANT PLUS LE CHOIX DE DÉFINIR MARC BERGEVIN COMME ÉTANT UN GÉNIE»

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
While I love Superman Kent and Don Gorton, people are finally waking up to the genius of the Maestro Bergevin.

Everyone here will one day be fan of this absolute virtuoso.

«LA PLANÈTE HOCKEY N'A MAINTENANT PLUS LE CHOIX DE DÉFINIR MARC BERGEVIN COMME ÉTANT UN GÉNIE»

Minionscannon.gif

Reactions: Archijerej

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
...no, I don't...and I'm really starting to worry about you, amigo...:nod::laugh:

Why? I'm enjoying myself, cheering for Kent & Gorton ALL THE WHILE reminiscing about the great days of the Maestro's reign. Good place to be.

Come join us on the side of good, the side of light. 🌟

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Gotta wait til the end of the offseason to see how it all plays out, as we witnessed with the Dach trade, Hughes had to piece together B2B moves to acquire the player he wanted, compared to MB’s annual excuses PC that’s 4D Chess

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Blasphemy. Dude Love was actually the greatest Wrestler in history. He just didn't care to prove it.

...so kinda like your take on Bargain Bin, then; he WAS the G.O.A.T., he just never once wanted to prove it and in fact decided to screw with us all and show the opposite...an interesting take, my good man...

cornholio.gif

:biglaugh:

• Haha
Reactions: BenchBrawl

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
At worst, I think Wright has Drouin floor. Very simular pedigree and issues.
On one side i agree (looks, attitude, entitlement), on the other, drouin was way more explosive and imposing in junior. In fact i think if both were to be drafted in the same year, based on their on ice performance, drouin would have been drafted ahead of wright.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I get feeling Hughes showing early signs of next Bergevin/Gauthier. As his last two trades are not popular on this board. I don't think I would have made either. They may work out, I am not sure.

The only way I see Matheson trade working out is that at 4.8m his contract is movable. Or, if he plays well allows enough depth can move a Edmundton at trade deadline. Who would fetch handsome return at deadline. We seen with Chiarot, Defenseman on reasonable contracts like Eddie, bring premier return at deadline. Teams really seem to overpay for decent NHL players on cheap contracts. We seen it in Kulak, Lekhonen, Toffoli also. The big contracts are harder to move. It costs us Poehling to gain 1.4m in caproom. I know he's not great, but thought Poehling was showing signs under MSL.

i think as GM you need a plan. Mine would have been focused on Bedard draft. I would be trying for highest puck I can get. Along with trading for three more first round picks. Giving us a really stout draft and iin free agency 3023 being about to add a key UFA. Makes the team for quick turn around and that much youth really solid future

I like the Romaniv trade but would have kept 13th pick. I thought there was a lot of talent on the board. Another Caufield or Suzuki type. Down the middle I would likely gone Suzuki, Dvorak, Evans, Poehling,, Dauphin..

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I get feeling Hughes showing early signs of next Bergevin/Gauthier. As his last two trades are not popular on this board. I don't think I would have made either. They may work out, I am not sure.

The only way I see Matheson trade working out is that at 4.8m his contract is movable. Or, if he plays well allows enough depth can move a Edmundton at trade deadline. Who would fetch handsome return at deadline. We seen with Chiarot, Defenseman on reasonable contracts like Eddie, bring premier return at deadline. Teams really seem to overpay for decent NHL players on cheap contracts. We seen it in Kulak, Lekhonen, Toffoli also. The big contracts are harder to move. It costs us Poehling to gain 1.4m in caproom. I know he's not great, but thought Poehling was showing signs under MSL.

i think as GM you need a plan. Mine would have been focused on Bedard draft. I would be trying for highest puck I can get. Along with trading for three more first round picks. Giving us a really stout draft and iin free agency 3023 being about to add a key UFA. Makes the team for quick turn around and that much youth really solid future

I like the Romaniv trade but would have kept 13th pick. I thought there was a lot of talent on the board. Another Caufield or Suzuki type. Down the middle I would likely gone Suzuki, Dvorak, Evans, Poehling,, Dauphin..
Hughes has a plan. It's clearly not your plan. He has zero interest to leave the long term faith of the team to luck at the draft. That's not how you rebuild. That's how you become another Buffalo, Arizona and Edmonton: teams that sucks for decades.

Eddy isn't going anywhere. Hughes wants 4 veterans dmen to shelter the prospects dmens if they struggle. He's going to acquire another one before the season start (a RD).

Getting Dach was a good move. There might have been talent on the board, but none that would play on the NHL in a top 9 center position next season and that was a team need. As a bonus, he has untapped potential to be a top 6 center. Also, like for the Matheson trade, Hughes asked questions to his entourage. Had Dach not fit into what he wanted to build, he wouldn't have traded for him.

MSL clearly didn't like Poehling, lots of posters realized that toward the end of the season. He wasn't going to stay.

Expect more prospects the new management doesn't like to be shipped to dump contracts this summer.

Reactions: PeteWorrell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille