Kent Hughes & Jeff Gorton General Discussion Thread - The Honeymoon Is Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I’m far more worried about the choice of Slaf than I am about the trade.

I liked Romanov a lot but Dach has some great upside. That could turn out to be a huge steal and I’m okay taking that risk.

Not taking Wright though? That could really haunt us.

We'll get a top center next year. What we won't get next year, is a skilled 6'4'' powerforward winger.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I liked Romanov a lot but Dach has some great upside. That could turn out to be a huge steal and I’m okay taking that risk.

Both Slaf and Dach come with huge risk.

But this year's draft was said to be not a sure thing at the tip and Romanov only has ai much upside. So the risk is what it is.

The important thing is we finish bottom of the league next year so we get more good prospects. The more high end prospects the less overall risk of not landing another star forward or two.

Reactions: dcyhabs

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
I’m a little torn. On the one hand, I like that they were active and took some gambles On the other hand , I am disappointed at how much input Lapointe apparently had - I really did not want any Bozovin holdovers in positions of making important decisions on draft picks. Speaking of draft picks, I’ve already gone on record as being against drafting undersized players as I find they almost never pan out, so I was somewhat disappointed to see then use some of the higher picks on them. As for the trade, if they were willing to trade Romanov, at that point, why not include him in part of a larger deal? I mean what would a package of Romanov+Anderson+26th pick+top prospect not named Guhle get you? Calgary’s Tkachuk?( just as an example) Just to say I think they could have made a bigger deal to get a better player than Dach. On a last note, I really hope to hear more news about new scouts being brought into the org.

Reactions: amethyst

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Losing is not the problem.....getting into project that never work out is.
This is the fault of last management and a little bit of the medias repeating the same thing for over 10 years for excusing every prospect not working out.
The last management liked drafting projects who needed 3 years of dedicated development without waiting the 3 years or doing any real development. Drafting guys who need patience and a good environment and letting Lefebvre and Therrien destroy them.

Dach and Slaf will be projects and we’ll see how the team does. MSL will be a better teacher than any other recent habs coach. Not sure Houle is great but he’s definitely way better than Lefebvre. The habs actually have a skills coach now, too.

Reactions: Wats and BLONG7

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
It was report they denied but I have to think based on not drafting any, that the report was true.
Were there any obvious passes? It’s similar to the Q players who just didn’t really fit the habs picks this year. Hard to say if it is an agenda or availability.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I worry they underrate 94 points in a draft year with iffy linemates and weird coaching. It certainly looks as though Hughes looked at the team and the prospects coming in and made the call that they have enough skill but they absolutely need a few more big guys who can play. It’s certainly possible that Dach and Slaf end up being more valuable to the team as second liners who don’t outscore Wright combined.

The career trajectories for these guys will define the narrative for the habs the next few years. If Dach and Slaf don’t work out the team will be bad and if Wright plays well it becomes a Bergevin arrogance over common sense thing.

What is very un-Bergevin is that Hughes is obviously looking at team needs and prospects to try to build something as opposed to just randomly acquiring pieces. He’s trying to get guys who will make existing assets work not just picking up more redundant players to complicate the coach’s life.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Gustave

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The problem here is that you believe that Wright and Cooley had "all the traits" they were looking for.

It's easy to see the problems with Wright: his lack of compete on the ice.

We don't know what the Habs had against Cooley, but Hughes knows more things about him than we do since his son played with him.

Owen Beck isn't a replacement for the 1st overall, but he showed the compete level Wright's lacked last season.

IMO, Cooley seems to not like the spotlight.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Were there any obvious passes? It’s similar to the Q players who just didn’t really fit the habs picks this year. Hard to say if it is an agenda or availability.

Maybe not obvious but Grudinin still sitting there for awhile and they didn't take the shot was the most suspect.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here

Taking Slaf means that we have to finish bottom 8 next season to FINALLY pick a #1C. Obligated to. He’s only complimentary if we have a core worth talking about.

As for Dach, I don’t see it. Soft giant, not a goal scorer, cannot win a faceoff. I feel like he’s KK 2.0. I’ll cheer him on no worries and hope for being so damn wrong.

Everything hinges on 2023. I’ll concede that it would’ve been like that even with different choices. Tell you the truth I’m worried about our D. There’s not a true anchor yet. If they all hit their potential then we’ll have a comite type D like the Canes have, which is fine but it would take some luck in that department.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I worry they underrate 94 points in a draft year with iffy linemates and weird coaching. It certainly looks as though Hughes looked at the team and the prospects coming in and made the call that they have enough skill but they absolutely need a few more big guys who can play. It’s certainly possible that Dach and Slaf end up being more valuable to the team as second liners who don’t outscore Wright combined.

The career trajectories for these guys will define the narrative for the habs the next few years. If Dach and Slaf don’t work out the team will be bad and if Wright plays well it becomes a Bergevin arrogance over common sense thing.

What is very un-Bergevin is that Hughes is obviously looking at team needs and prospects to try to build something as opposed to just randomly acquiring pieces. He’s trying to get guys who will make existing assets work not just picking up more redundant players to complicate the coach’s life.
Absolutely agree.
They kept saying going into the draft, they spent a ton of time, on trying to figure out who will become the best player down the road with some development.............

There is a plan here, agree or not, they have a plan.......big kids, who can skate and will get their hands dirty....as you say no more filling holes in the lineup the way MB did.......it was useless.

I do think Wright will be a good NHL player, and was disappointed and surprised they went with Slaf.
That said, man they did this with using what information was available to them, and not just a feel or a hunch. I absolutely agree they have a ton of info on the kid, and are ready to put their eggs in that basket.

The one big thing that scares me, is we will have a better year upcoming, and our pick next year will not be as high in the lottery draft as we all hope. I guess that has the potential to be a good problem.

We will still struggle next year, without a real #1 goalie, and our D is still suspect......that said the offseason has just begun...........stay tuned.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We'll get a top center next year. What we won't get next year, is a skilled 6'4'' powerforward winger.
We don’t know this… and we’ll see if Slaf pans out. To me, you didn’t take risks with the first overall. I just hope the scouts knew what they were talking about.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Taking Slaf means that we have to finish bottom 8 next season to FINALLY pick a #1C. Obligated to. He’s only complimentary if we have a core worth talking about.

As for Dach, I don’t see it. Soft giant, not a goal scorer, cannot win a faceoff. I feel like he’s KK 2.0. I’ll cheer him on no worries and hope for being so damn wrong.

Everything hinges on 2023. I’ll concede that it would’ve been like that even with different choices. Tell you the truth I’m worried about our D. There’s not a true anchor yet. If they all hit their potential then we’ll have a comite type D like the Canes have, which is fine but it would take some luck in that department.
The D has some great prospects. The rebuild was never going to be over in a year.

And we could always slide Dach to the wing. Roy and Kidney seem to be doing well. We do have some decent prospects in the system. At a minimum they could be used as trade currency.

Reactions: Surfer72

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Not really. At worst he’s a 2nd line two way center which we could’ve used. Much better track record.
That's a crock of shit. Shane Wright could bust hard, his play was absolutely terrible this year. He got drafted Top 5 on the strength of his pre-2022 resume alone. If his progression really flatlined, it's not clear he's even gonna have a long NHL career. Plus, this "two-way" quality in Wright seems pretty overrated to me. His lackluster backchecking effort was called out. His track record, other than a tournament, is 2 years old already.

I'm all for being optimistic, but at least admit that this is what you are.

Wright has a single foundational attribute he can count on: His shot.

Slafkovsky: His size.

Those are the only two guarantees we have from these two players.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's a crock of shit. Shane Wright could bust hard, his play was absolutely terrible this year. He got drafted Top 5 on the strength of his pre-2022 resume alone. If his progression really flatlined, it's not clear he's even gonna have a long NHL career. Plus, this "two-way" quality in Wright seems pretty overrated to me. His lackluster backchecking effort was called out. His track record, other than a tournament, is 2 years old already.

Your schtick is wearing thin. Give it a rest.

Reactions: Wats and the

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Your schtick is wearing thin. Give it a rest.

No schtick here. Is Wright really good defensively? Why do you believe that? A FLOOR of #2C in the NHL is an incredibly high expectation. Why would I expect a guy who kept falling in the eyes of scouts all over the league to have such a high floor? This doesn't make sense to me, sorry. If he dropped this year, he can continue to drop next year, until proven otherwise.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Wright's primary attribute isn't his shot but his IQ.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Wright's primary attribute isn't his shot but his IQ.

In his PC a few days before the draft, Kent Hughes specifically talked about how he saw IQ as also knowing how to use the attributes you have. Then they picked Slafkovsky.

I don't doubt that Wright can read the play, but the choice of his larger strategy, as to how he should play the game in 2022, was questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad