• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Who the hell is advocating for that? I think Howden can settle in nicely as the 3C.

It was a pretty popular notion about a year ago for Howden, until people actually saw him and realized that he was indeed a center.

With Zibanejad, it circulated primarily for the 16-17 and 17-18 seasons, before it faded this season.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
They already tried to trade him at the draft so what changes?

I guess they could keep him during the year but it runs the risk of them doing well then using him as an own rental and getting nothing.

Cant see the team winning the cup yet. Give the kids a few more years so with that trade Kreider?

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
It was a pretty popular notion about a year ago for Howden, until people actually saw him and realized that he was indeed a center.

With Zibanejad, it circulated primarily for the 16-17 and 17-18 seasons, before it faded this season.

Well I'm glad I wasn't around for those talks.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
From what I can tell, nothing has really changed on their views concerning Kreider. I think they just haven't seen or agreed upon an offer they're particularly in love with.

But after watching Zucc and Hayes last season, I definitely get the sense the preference is to find something they like sooner rather than later. I'd put the odds of an extension as being about 20 percent.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Who the hell is advocating for that? I think Howden can settle in nicely as the 3C.

Ideally Chytil #2 Howden/Andersson bottom-6 C. Until something better comes along or it's fine as is.
--------------

Considering Kreider. I've made it heard that I like to keep him and consider him a key piece of the soul core of the team.

But things changed drastically with the signing of Panarin. As much as I want to keep Kreider, now he will have to be traded.

We have to sign our current 4 RFA's. In order to do that we need free up an aditional 8 million. Ideally that's Kreider and Smith or Shatty (retained).

Reactions: CasusBelli

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Ideally Chytil #2 Howden/Andersson bottom-6 C. Until something better comes along or it's fine as is.
--------------

Considering Kreider. I've made it heard that I like to keep him and consider him a key piece of the soul core of the team.

But things changed drastically with the signing of Panarin. As much as I want to keep Kreider, now he will have to be traded.

We have to sign our current 4 RFA's. In order to do that we need free up an aditional 8 million. Ideally that's Kreider and Smith or Shatty (retained).

I guess I'm just not as high on Buch as most people are. I feel like we have three better versions of him in Panarin, Kakko and Kravtsov. I'd prefer to take his and Name's contracts and use that for Kreider or someone like Kreider.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Love Kreider and I understand the argument that he brings something to the line up that our top six as projected without him will be in need of, but I can't get on board with extending him. The idea of $18-19m being tied up in two wingers when we have two potentially elite winger prospects in Kakko and Kravtsov just seems like an inherently poor decision. Plus the cap situation currently really precludes Kreider from making any sort of sense in the short term.

I don't think we'll get an earth shattering return, but it's time to turn the page.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Love Kreider and I understand the argument that he brings something to the line up that our top six as projected without him will be in need of, but I can't get on board with extending him. The idea of $18-19m being tied up in two wingers when we have two potentially elite winger prospects in Kakko and Kravtsov just seems like an inherently poor decision. Plus the cap situation currently really precludes Kreider from making any sort of sense in the short term.

I don't think we'll get an earth shattering return, but it's time to turn the page.

I would expect a return similar to Hayes, maybe plus that amount if the market conditions are right and the timing includes with a full season of utilization.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I would expect a return similar to Hayes, maybe plus that amount if the market conditions are right and the timing includes with a full season of utilization.

So my question is, why hasn't this happened yet? They've now had two drafts and almost two offseasons to move him for the return you're suggesting, which seems to be pretty fair. Is there internal debate? Are people in the organization reluctant to move him? I've heard from two people with legit connections to the organization that Sather loves him and maybe that was holding things up?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Would have loved to see him play on on line with some of the young talent we have now but there is just no way we can keep him. Unfortunately, Contracts like Staal, Smith, Shatty and even Hank are gonna keep us cap strapped for two more years. If CK takes anything less than 6.5/7/7.5 I would be shocked

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
So my question is, why hasn't this happened yet? They've now had two drafts and almost two offseasons to move him for the return you're suggesting, which seems to be pretty fair. Is there internal debate? Are people in the organization reluctant to move him? I've heard from two people with legit connections to the organization that Sather loves him and maybe that was holding things up?
Felt this for a while. Teams are probably low balling JG.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think it's a combination of factors.

I don't think they were actively shopping a year ago, so I don't think this is the second draft they've been unable to move him.

With this draft, they were engaged in a number of conversations that didn't come to fruition --- be it with Colorado, Arizona, etc.

I think the salary cap situation impacted a lot of moves at the draft.

I think they wanted to see what, if anything, happened with Panarin, and to a lesser extent if they were moving Buch at the draft.

I think we also can't assume that the the Rangers haven't received an offer of a pick and a prospect. The question is whether the Rangers liked said offer.

The last point is something that often gets overlooked. There very well could be deals out there that this board loves, but the Rangers aren't in love with. Likewise, there could be deals the Rangers are interested in that this board would not necessarily be in love with.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I'm going on record right now saying that I think CK starts the season with the Rangers. This just has the feel of a deal that just isn't going to materialize over the summer. Reminds me of the Zucc situation from last year.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Why does the trade for future things still apply, what they bought yesterday is not going to improve with age, nor did it add any term to Zbad. It's ten years older than Kakko who once signed will have 3 years of entry level.

There has to be some timeline there that makes sense, right? Or is this all just, we'll figure it out later?

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I think it's a combination of factors.

I don't think they were actively shopping a year ago, so I don't think this is the second draft they've been unable to move him.

With this draft, they were engaged in a number of conversations that didn't come to fruition --- be it with Colorado, Arizona, etc.

I think the salary cap situation impacted a lot of moves at the draft.

I think they wanted to see what, if anything, happened with Panarin, and to a lesser extent if they were moving Buch at the draft.

I think we also can't assume that the the Rangers haven't received an offer of a pick and a prospect. The question is whether the Rangers liked said offer.

The last point is something that often gets overlooked. There very well could be deals out there that this board loves, but the Rangers aren't in love with. Likewise, there could be deals the Rangers are interested in that this board would not necessarily be in love with.

Thanks.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Those prime, contending Rangers rosters are gonna be down to Hank and Marc Staal

The passage of time is sad and unwavering RIP

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Why does the trade for future things still apply, what they bought yesterday is not going to improve with age, nor did it add any term to Zbad. It's ten years older than Kakko who once signed will have 3 years of entry level.

There has to be some timeline there that makes sense, right? Or is this all just, we'll figure it out later?

It's not about futures as much as it's about not wanting to pay a 29 year old x number of dollars for x number of years. Or so that's what we've been told. I guess the thought is, you aren't getting an equivalent player back for one year of his services so take the cap space and whatever you can get.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm going on record right now saying that I think CK starts the season with the Rangers. This just has the feel of a deal that just isn't going to materialize over the summer. Reminds me of the Zucc situation from last year.

I think they can manage the cap for this year, but the issue will be his extension obviously. If we are contending by the TDL, maybe keep him as our own rental? But you also don't want to lose him for nothing. I wish those Smith. Shattenkirk, and Staal contracts were off next season, then it would be a different story could then maybe fit in CK. But honestly, think that money should be going to another top 6 center. It's times like this I really hate the cap, because really love the player and what he brings, but the math does not work out to the Rangers favor.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think it's more a matter of trade market rates, salary and depth for deals that are still likely to come.

Trading Kreider for a similar priced player at a different position doesn't solve anything.

Trading Kreider for an experienced lesser player doesn't solve much.

So the more probably scenario is that your trading for some kind of future --- either a younger player whose upside you like, or picks/prospects. But either approach is focused more on what you hope to have, rather than what you'll actually have at the time of the trade.

Reactions: MyLoveIsBlue

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think it's more a matter of trade market rates, salary and depth for deals that are still likely to come.

Trading Kreider for a similar priced player at a different position doesn't solve anything.

Trading Kreider for an experienced lesser player doesn't solve much.

So the more probably scenario is that your trading for some kind of future --- either a younger player whose upside you like, or picks/prospects. But either approach is focused more on what you hope to have, rather than what you'll actually have at the time of the trade.

So figure it out later?

Not trying to be a jerk, I just do not get it. The timeline they've attached themselves to should be about the #2 pick and Panarin/Zbad, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad