• No, hes replacable

Votes: 77 33.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
To be honest, I am surprised Kreider isn't gone already. I assume he gets traded at some point before the deadline. The Rangers simply cannot be investing almost $20M annually in Panarin and Kreider. His net front presence will be missed, but someone else will fill that roll for far less money.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Time to move on. We have other wingers that will provide the size that he already brings. Kakko, Kravtsov, and Buchnevich are all big players. They don't necessarily get personified as that, but they are that. These are players that will grow into their frames even more. Buch might even be over 200lbs by the time this upcoming season begins (NHL website has him at 196, could easily bump up over 200 while continuing to work out at Prentiss).

Not to mention, Lemieux plays a hard game, Lias does too. Chytil is listed as 6'3 203. Zib is a horse.

We're not a team that lacks size. We also don't lack in speed. Those are the two biggest factors in having Kreider on the roster.

Yes, his net front presence would need to be replaced, and we don't have anyone else on the roster that is as good as he is in that role. With that said, there will be guys that can be options there. Can already see Andersson in that role. While smaller in size, it's where he makes his money on the PP. That or the bumper spot. Lemieux will be there too. Depending on the structure of the PP, Kakko might fill that role from time to time.

In the past, we needed these things because others couldn't provide that. We're at a point where we could bank another high pick and a prospect from a team that missed on Panarin. Time to strike while the iron is hot.
Interesting. I can actually see Chytil there.

Kakko would probably be very good there as well, but that'd be wasting his other talents.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Looking at today's roster with Kreider on it, its is definitely tempting to leave him around to see what happens.

But you are playing with fire. He could suffer injury and/or the Rangers could surprise us and be in a playoff position at the deadline. Not a bad thing, but then you are stuck with him and are in "go for it" mode. If the team is playing well, the idea is to win it all, so I wouldn't be against not moving him at that point. But that really flies against what the Rangers are trying to do here.

He needs to be dealt. Preferably before the season starts.

It's out there and the entire league knows he's on the block. Now that Panarin and Trouba are here and will be taking a few slices out of the pizza cap, teams are licking their chops at a discounted power forward with Chris's ability.

My hope is that multiple teams will come calling for his services and drive up the price enough to get fair market value. Because once Panarin put ink to paper it devalued the ask for him.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
What sucks about the #20 situation is this.

Technically, this club has 3 top 6 forwards currently. Panarin who is at an absolute monster of a contract. Then Zbad who is here for 3 more years at a very, VERY afforadble $5.35 mil. Then Kreider who is only at $4.625. That gives you a really nice trio. The real problem is you can't keep them all due to albatross contracts on D that just haven't delivered. So were talking about moving out a really good player to keep within the top 6, simply due to the fact that the Rangers have dinosaurs that they just cannot move out. #18, #22, #42....Due to the inability to move these players the Rangers are about to lose an integral piece of the puzzle. The only physical player in their top 6. That's the real problem. Why is that important? Ask Tampa, or Toronto? Both clubs have all the talent in the world yet they just can't play a heavy game. Clubs that are playing that style were rewarded with Conference championships.

Even the Islanders showed what they were capable of with that style of hockey. Tavares-less they ousted Pitt in the first round. They fell short in the 2nd but that team isn't done cooking yet.

Rangers are going to have some serious talent. I absolutely love that this Organization committed to a rebuild. I love the style of hockey they want to play. #Relentless. Gotta have tenacious players if you want to play that brand of hockey. They now have some legitimate skill up front. Do they have enough grit? Is Gorton looking to become the next Tampa Bay? Win a presidents trophy, lose in rd 1 to Columbus who played a very heavy game? Is he looking to be the next Calgary? All the talent in the world up front. Lose out to Colorado because the Flames just couldn't contain McKinnon, Rantanen and Landeskog? Or...maybe this years playoffs were just a fluke?

With the cupboard re-stocked here, Gorton should look at trading one of#18, #22, #42 along with #2nd round pick in 2020 draft for a B prospect that doesn't hit the cap. Sens, Jackets, the Jets etc. I would assume a club that just lost some valueable assets would grab a player to gain a pick. It's only for 2 seasons for any of the aforementioned. Get-r-done!

Last edited:

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
With the cupboard re-stocked here, Gorton should look at trading one of#18, #22, #42 along with #2nd round pick in 2020 draft for a B prospect that doesn't hit the cap. Sens, Jackets, the Jets etc. I would assume a club that just lost some valueable assets would grab a player to gain a pick. It's only for 2 seasons for any of the aforementioned. Get-r-done!

This is definitely my preferred course of action. I’m down with giving up a 2nd/3rd next year to ship off one of those awful contracts.

I think it should be Shattenkirk at 50% + 3rd for a bag of pucks along with Kreider for a center prospect or 2020 1st.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
This is definitely my preferred course of action. I’m down with giving up a 2nd/3rd next year to ship off one of those awful contracts.

I think it should be Shattenkirk at 50% + 3rd for a bag of pucks along with Kreider for a center prospect or 2020 1st.

Why is everyone so quick to give up on Chytil as their 2nd line center?

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
I think the priority should be to move Staal, Smith, Shattenkirk and Vlad. (These 4 contracts combined are just under 21 million in cap space)

The only way it would make sense to keep Kreider is if we could move 2 of the contracts above. Outside of Vlad though, those contracts do not seem movable, at least until less term is left.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
Kreider drives play, his relative possession stats are elite. Tough to part with that but I'd probably still have to draw the line at the JVR contract...figure it's going to take more than that

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

I'm not. I think Chytil is the second line center of the future.

Regardless, it's our shallowest position right now. Lots of uncertainty with Chytil, Andersson, and Howden staying in the middle. I still believe Chytil's the guy, I just want depth at that position.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think the priority should be to move Staal, Smith, Shattenkirk and Vlad. (These 4 contracts combined are just under 21 million in capspace)
I am sure that it is. The only problem is that all names that start with S in that sentence are untradeable.
The only way it would make sense to keep Kreider is if we could move 2 of the contracts above. Outside of Vlad though, those contracts do not seem movable, at least until less term is left.
No, you can also trade Buch. Let's say he bridges at $3.25, after that he would be looking at a deal that at a minimum would be comparable to Kreider.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Simple as sign Trouba or not? Namestnikov will need 25-50% retention, Strome isn't enough. Both he and Buchnevich need to be traded to sign Trouba. None of the potential buyouts are enough.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A couple things. First it's likely with or without the Panarin signing that if we were to keep Chris he'd want 7 or 8 years and at least $7 mil---kind of like Hayes got and Chris is a bit more valuable IMO and it would be hard to argue against that....and with his rental season coming up the leverage to get that is on his side. Without Panarin I'd be more inclined to keep him but I'm not inclined to give him 7 years--more like 5. He's a fitness freak and a great skater and he still might be a really good player when he's 35 or so but I'd rather not gamble on that. Panarin in any case is the superior player and I think most of us who wanted him recognized that if we did get him that Kreider would probably have to go. If we could dump Shattenkirk without taking any salary back--I don't see that happening though and I still wouldn't want to give Chris 7 years.

Reactions: Lion Hound

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Their next biggest obligation is signing Trouba. Then figure out with the money left over, how can we make it work for Kreider? It can’t be at the expense of Buchnevich and Lem. DeAngelo, while I think he’s a good defenseman in the sense of puck handling and passing, may be expendable with what we have in D in the pipeline. They have to trade Namestnikov with that high cap hit, unfortunately. Too bad because I like him as a player.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Speaking only for myself, I've never quite been sure that Chytil even is a center. That goes back to before he was drafted.

So it's not so much me giving up on Chytil as the second line center, so much as not really being all-in on the concept of him being a center to begin with.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Speaking only for myself, I've never quite been sure that Chytil even is a center. That goes back to before he was drafted.

So it's not so much me giving up on Chytil as the second line center, so much as not really being all-in on the concept of him being a center to begin with.

But he was drafted as a center, no?

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Their next biggest obligation is signing Trouba. Then figure out with the money left over, how can we make it work for Kreider? It can’t be at the expense of Buchnevich and Lem. DeAngelo, while I think he’s a good defenseman in the sense of puck handling and passing, may be expendable with what we have in D in the pipeline. They have to trade Namestnikov with that high cap hit, unfortunately. Too bad because I like him as a player.

Without knowing what he and his agent iare looking for, it's hard to gauge if he's worth keeping or not. But I get the feeling if the Rangers want him, they'll find a way to keep him. I doubt they'll just give him away for futures. Personally, I'd rather have him over Buch and Names. He brings more balance to the top 6.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
But he was drafted as a center, no?

Eh, he was "listed" as a center, or a C/W, but he spent a lot of time playing wing in his draft year and there were questions about what position he would play moving forward.

At the time it was easy to point to him playing the wing as a byproduct of his age in a pro league. But I've never quite been sure the sum of the parts worked out at center.

I think there's a strong desire for him to be a center, because if the pieces come together it's an enticing package. But I've never felt he's looked completely comfortable there.

Generally speaking, I worry that we're so hungry for centers that we kind of push that hope/projection onto to certain guys --- be it Chytil, Kakko, Kravtsov, Barron, etc.

On the flip side, with our guys who are more natural at the position, we seem to want to push them over to the wings --- namely Zibanejad and Howden.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Eh, he was "listed" as a center, or a C/W, but he spent a lot of time playing wing in his draft year and there were questions about what position he would play moving forward.

At the time it was easy to point to him playing the wing as a byproduct of his age in a pro league. But I've never quite been sure the sum of the parts worked out at center.

I think there's a strong desire for him to be a center, because if the pieces come together it's an enticing package. But I've never felt he's looked completely comfortable there.

Generally speaking, I worry that we're so hungry for centers that we kind of push that hope/projection onto to certain guys --- be it Chytil, Kakko, Kravtsov, Barron, etc.

On the flip side, with our guys who are more natural at the position, we seem to want to push them over to the wings --- namely Zibanejad and Howden.

Who the hell is advocating for that? I think Howden can settle in nicely as the 3C.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Without knowing what he and his agent iare looking for, it's hard to gauge if he's worth keeping or not. But I get the feeling if the Rangers want him, they'll find a way to keep him. I doubt they'll just give him away for futures. Personally, I'd rather have him over Buch and Names. He brings more balance to the top 6.

If we were to trade him away anything short of a Top 10 pick, it wouldn’t be worth it. Trading him for the 16th, and where we’re currently at with Trouba and Panarin, wouldn’t be worth it as it looks like we’re progressing towards the playoffs, rather than being a Bottom 5 team. He plays a heavy game and adds an element we don’t have. Look at our team without Kreider. There needs to be those guys like Lem, Kreider, that play a heavy game.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad