Confirmed with Link: Brindy, Gleason, Daniels, Huffine and Schonefelder sign multi year extensions

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
There’s a segment of fans, largely based in Montreal, that are triggered by him in particular for whatever reason. He’s cheap, petty, and a bad owner generally. I was attempting to mock them.
HF does have a lot of those folks. I think my favorite 'Dundon so cheep' moment was when they traded Nedeljkovic, then signed Andersen to a larger contract than Ned got, which was somehow evidence that Dundon was a penny-pincher or something.

They'll also say Dundon so cheap in one breath, then be smug about Kotkaniemi being overpaid in the next. It is quite hilarious.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
HF does have a lot of those folks. I think my favorite 'Dundon so cheep' moment was when they traded Nedeljkovic, then signed Andersen to a larger contract than Ned got, which was somehow evidence that Dundon was a penny-pincher or something.

They'll also say Dundon so cheap in one breath, then be smug about Kotkaniemi being overpaid in the next. It is quite hilarious.
Somehow Dundon was cheap for buying the Jarvis draft pick for $6m because it wasn't spent on a roster player

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Some morning reading:

Mods can delete this part, if blind quoting isn’t okay.

“Dundon gonna Dundon”

“Dundon is such a cheap ass lol”

“Carolina is so boned now that Dundon has full ownership control“

“He is but he's very cheap. He's also on the record saying he wants nhl jerseys to look like euro jerseys with ads. Also said he'll never allow his gm to use a 1st rd pick on a dman”

“Dundon and his arrogance are literally the only reason for this trade.”

“I can't give you a specific reason as I can't see into the future but trading Ned and more than likely letting Hamilton walk as a UFA has me leaning in that direction.
I also see Dundon, who was raised in Texas and likely didn't get much exposure to hockey, as a businessman investing a hockey team than a big hockey fan who dreamed of owning a franchise. Being the former the bottom line probably will always trump team success.
Call me crazy but I think you guys are going to regret the day that Dundon bought out Peter Karmanos Jr. He was a fan long before becoming an owner.”

“Absolute steal of a trade for Y. I quess Dundon ran out of money after rehiring Rod and his group?“

“Hey man i'm an Ottawa fan so i've heard every spin in the book and seen some creative ways to save a buck. I just don't see why a contending team with no real long term commitments and 29M in cap space is gonna let a top tier right shot d man and their potential future goalie walk out the door...”

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Some morning reading:

Mods can delete this part, if blind quoting isn’t okay.

“Dundon gonna Dundon”

“Dundon is such a cheap ass lol”

“Carolina is so boned now that Dundon has full ownership control“

“He is but he's very cheap. He's also on the record saying he wants nhl jerseys to look like euro jerseys with ads. Also said he'll never allow his gm to use a 1st rd pick on a dman”

“Dundon and his arrogance are literally the only reason for this trade.”

“I can't give you a specific reason as I can't see into the future but trading Ned and more than likely letting Hamilton walk as a UFA has me leaning in that direction.
I also see Dundon, who was raised in Texas and likely didn't get much exposure to hockey, as a businessman investing a hockey team than a big hockey fan who dreamed of owning a franchise. Being the former the bottom line probably will always trump team success.
Call me crazy but I think you guys are going to regret the day that Dundon bought out Peter Karmanos Jr. He was a fan long before becoming an owner.”

“Absolute steal of a trade for Y. I quess Dundon ran out of money after rehiring Rod and his group?“

“Hey man i'm an Ottawa fan so i've heard every spin in the book and seen some creative ways to save a buck. I just don't see why a contending team with no real long term commitments and 29M in cap space is gonna let a top tier right shot d man and their potential future goalie walk out the door...”
Why dig in the past, Habs stalkers opened up yet another post about KK on the main page late last week where this is all being rehashed over and over again.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
sounds like the Rod deal was done for a while but they waited for timing to announce it.

rod left it at multiyear deal and didnt want to actually address his deal. wonder why

Reactions: DaveG

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
That's not how coaching hierarchy works. Assistants provide advice but it's the HC that has the final say.
If I recall correctly, when Rod became head coach he said the most frustrating aspect of being an assistant to Peters was that Peters never listened or used any of his (RBA's) advice/suggestions and that as a head coach he would consider and heed his assistants advice. Something like that.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
sounds like the Rod deal was done for a while but they waited for timing to announce it.

rod left it at multiyear deal and didnt want to actually address his deal. wonder why
Only reason I can think of is that he doesn't have the same leverage in a couple of years if the assistants are signed for 2 years + an option while he is signed for 5.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If I recall correctly, when Rod became head coach he said the most frustrating aspect of being an assistant to Peters was that Peters never listened or used any of his (RBA's) advice/suggestions and that as a head coach he would consider and heed his assistants advice. Something like that.
Sure. Good coaches don't ignore what assistances say, but in the end, the head coach is where the buck stops.

Reactions: LostInaLostWorld

Rick Davis

Dec 31, 2020
No team in 25+ years have won at last 1 round 6 straight seasons like this team has. This team is deep but lacks elite talent and elite goaltending. Expecting another coach to get more out of this team is a bit optimistic.

Spot on take…I’ve now accepted that given the player personnel and management structure of this team we are and always will be a “regular season” team…anything else is just unexpected gravy.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
32 thoughts today: RBA 5 years; coaching staff 2 years + another year at team option. Also, said RBA's contract value is much higher this time. Not at a SC winning level but high versus non-SC winners.
What about Conference Finals winning level?

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
To move on from Rod strikes me as the Washington Capitals hiring Adam Oates and changing their whole philosophy because they lost some games. Yes, we keep losing in the playoffs. But we keep playing really close, and the games we lose are probablistically close to coin flips. Does that bring me comfort at night? Absolutely not. But in the same breath, you're out to lunch if you think this team isn't a contender. We decimated the Islanders and outplayed the Rangers most games.

The other option is to fire Rod, but then who do you bring in? Is there a likelihood that the new coach will engender more success than Rod? You'd probably do a coaching search. How long would that take? Would you have your coaching team in place by free agency? Would Guentzel and Pesce and Skjei and Chatfield and Teuvo consider re-signing here with a new coach, or is it more likely they'd re-sign with Rod?

Rod's our guy. When you think of our current team, Rod Brind'Amour probably comes to mind before Jaccob Slavin, Sebastian Aho, and the rest. It's painful to lose. I hate losing in the playoffs. These things happen.

In 2006 we won it all, but I'm sure Edmonton is kicking themselves for having Roloson get injured and blowing the lead in game 1. I'm sure Buffalo is kicking themselves for having so many injuries on D and playing Mike Card. Just as we're kicking ourselves for having a damn good powerplay all year, 2nd in the entire freaking league, better than the Rangers, staying hot on the PP against the Isles, and then falling flat for 3 games. In games 4-6, our PP was a lot better.

We have a great team, a winning strategy, a great motivator behind the bench, a great prospect pool, and tons of cap flexibility, short-term and long-term. Our best players (with control) are Sebastian Aho (26 years old), Jaccob Slavin (30), Andrei Svechnikov (24), Seth Jarvis (22), and Martin Necas (25). This group will look different next year - we're almost certainly downgrading on defense and forwards will have probably a little less depth and a rookie making the team. But this is still a contender for next year. Going into next year with Rod I believe has a much higher chance at success than firing him and finding another coaching option and playing strategy.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
To move on from Rod strikes me as the Washington Capitals hiring Adam Oates and changing their whole philosophy because they lost some games. Yes, we keep losing in the playoffs. But we keep playing really close, and the games we lose are probablistically close to coin flips. Does that bring me comfort at night? Absolutely not. But in the same breath, you're out to lunch if you think this team isn't a contender. We decimated the Islanders and outplayed the Rangers most games.

The other option is to fire Rod, but then who do you bring in? Is there a likelihood that the new coach will engender more success than Rod? You'd probably do a coaching search. How long would that take? Would you have your coaching team in place by free agency? Would Guentzel and Pesce and Skjei and Chatfield and Teuvo consider re-signing here with a new coach, or is it more likely they'd re-sign with Rod?

Rod's our guy. When you think of our current team, Rod Brind'Amour probably comes to mind before Jaccob Slavin, Sebastian Aho, and the rest. It's painful to lose. I hate losing in the playoffs. These things happen.

In 2006 we won it all, but I'm sure Edmonton is kicking themselves for having Roloson get injured and blowing the lead in game 1. I'm sure Buffalo is kicking themselves for having so many injuries on D and playing Mike Card. Just as we're kicking ourselves for having a damn good powerplay all year, 2nd in the entire freaking league, better than the Rangers, staying hot on the PP against the Isles, and then falling flat for 3 games. In games 4-6, our PP was a lot better.

We have a great team, a winning strategy, a great motivator behind the bench, a great prospect pool, and tons of cap flexibility, short-term and long-term. Our best players (with control) are Sebastian Aho (26 years old), Jaccob Slavin (30), Andrei Svechnikov (24), Seth Jarvis (22), and Martin Necas (25). This group will look different next year - we're almost certainly downgrading on defense and forwards will have probably a little less depth and a rookie making the team. But this is still a contender for next year. Going into next year with Rod I believe has a much higher chance at success than firing him and finding another coaching option and playing strategy.
Good points.....at press conference yesterday both RBA and DW stated that goaltending like all the other positions is up for assessment to see if they can get better. It's of course early, but RBA also said a rotation was in the cards for next year with no commitment on who was #1.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Most top teams don't win the cup.

Outside of maybe teams employing some cap shenanigans, it's always a long shot.

Boston, Rangers, Panthers, Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, Winnipeg, Dallas, are all in very similar situations as the Canes over the last 6 years. Meanwhile Vegas wins the cup. The year before they missed the playoffs. Then year after, they're an #8 seed, and a first round exit.

Teams like Washington won 1 in the entire OV era.

There's just 12 really good teams making the playoffs every season now, Teams good enough to win the cup are playing in the first round. It's a very different time than yesteryear.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
It’s the definition of insanity at this point.

Completely what I expected, though. As much as I love Rod, he seems really stubborn in his ways and he always wants his assistants to be taken care of.
Ehhh.. look at Tampa dominating since 2015, it took them a number of cracks at it with a similar core and coaching staff to get it done!

In sports, there's never a 100% chance of winning the championship. A given team might have a 10% chance in a great year. Running that back a few times isn't insane. You want to create the best odds you have and roll with them as many times as possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad