Votes: 77 33.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
so with about 8.75m cap left and still needing to sign Trouba, Buch and TDA and give Kakko an ELC.

How do we get the space required without trading Kreider? We need him for what he brings physically and in front of the net on the PP.

Namestnikov, Smith, Staal, Strome, heck even Shattenkirk i guess are the players we could possibly trade (or BO)

We should try to keep Strome as a bottom 6 Center though, unless we can get Brian Boyle to come back to Manhattan.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It's not about affording him this year. It's about whether or not we want to give him a 7 x 7 contract that takes him to age 36. I personally don't and I don't think the Rangers do either. There are teams that missed out on players yesterday and will be looking for help. Trade him, get assets back and move on.

Seanharold

Jun 23, 2011
Suffolk, NY
We are in a bit of a cap pickle and i honestly don't see anyone taking smith. He's THAT bad....

As for Names and Shattenkirk, we should be able to find a team that needs one or the other. I just hope we can find someone soon.

Reactions: hn777

AntNYR

Apr 30, 2019
I'd love to keep Kreider, but can't see it working considering the term and dollars he will get. Either Kreider needs to take a steep discount or the team find a way to drop significant money elsewhere. And I doubt anyone wants our trash.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
This is the problem with giving out monster contracts like Panarin. And Trouba who always is a pain in the ass when it comes to contracts

Reactions: CasusBelli

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers spent a fortune on Panarin. They have two young stud wingers in Kakko and Kravtsov. Those two guys are two big dudes. They will only get bigger and stronger as they mature.

The Rangers don’t really need Kreider especially at $50M over the next 7. Add this season. Eight more seasons of Kreider. The Rangers have more than enough quality players on the wing.

Now that Panarin is here, I am intrigued to see if he can get something more out of Buchnevich. Pavel’s PPG is very good for someone who hasn’t played the best hockey of his career yet.

Trade Kreider.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would prefer to keep him. But don’t think the Rangers can. Would need to move Namestnikov and one of the anchor D contracts.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The Rangers spent a fortune on Panarin. They have two young stud wingers in Kakko and Kravtsov. Those two guys are two big dudes. They will only get bigger and stronger as they mature.

The Rangers don’t really need Kreider especially at $50M over the next 7. Add this season. Eight more seasons of Kreider. The Rangers have more than enough quality players on the wing.

Now that Panarin is here, I am intrigued to see if he can get something more out of Buchnevich. Pavel’s PPG is very good for someone who hasn’t played the best hockey of his career yet.

Trade Kreider.

Absolutely. I'd be grabbing Buchnevich in your respective fantasy leagues.

On Kreider- I like the player but it's a problem with the numbers game right now. Maybe NYR keep him around this year to move him at the deadline, but doing the math it's just so much money locked up in a few players that it is hard to see how you end up working that out.

If Kakko and Kravtsov have really good starts, you're looking at 8 year extensions for them off ELC's. No bridging. 2 years for Shesty. If we're optimistic about the quality of our prospects, and I think we have good reason to be, then we MUST make a few sacrifices to keep them in the fold.

That said, our PP is looking pretty perimeter-heavy if Chris leaves.

Reactions: Maximus

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
I just don't see the numbers working. At some point we're going to need to put money into the center position. With Kakko, Kravtsov, Panarin, it doesn't make sense to tie up more money on the wings.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Brooks, as always, is an idiot. Now that we’ve got that out of the way, I’d like to say I agree with him that we have a lot of skill and finesse up front right now. Wouldn’t mind a couple of skill players who play a heavy game in the top 6.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
This is the problem with giving out monster contracts like Panarin. And Trouba who always is a pain in the ass when it comes to contracts

Are you serious?

Kreider is not a $7m per year player. Kreider falls under the same umbrella as Haglin and Callahan. Guys that we love but got paid too much compared to their worth.

Panarin and Trouba are EXACTLY the type of players you sign. Not big contracts to guys like Kreider and Hayes.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
If the Lightning offered a sweet enough futures package would the Rags be willing to retain on Kreider?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Time to move on. We have other wingers that will provide the size that he already brings. Kakko, Kravtsov, and Buchnevich are all big players. They don't necessarily get personified as that, but they are that. These are players that will grow into their frames even more. Buch might even be over 200lbs by the time this upcoming season begins (NHL website has him at 196, could easily bump up over 200 while continuing to work out at Prentiss).

Not to mention, Lemieux plays a hard game, Lias does too. Chytil is listed as 6'3 203. Zib is a horse.

We're not a team that lacks size. We also don't lack in speed. Those are the two biggest factors in having Kreider on the roster.

Yes, his net front presence would need to be replaced, and we don't have anyone else on the roster that is as good as he is in that role. With that said, there will be guys that can be options there. Can already see Andersson in that role. While smaller in size, it's where he makes his money on the PP. That or the bumper spot. Lemieux will be there too. Depending on the structure of the PP, Kakko might fill that role from time to time.

In the past, we needed these things because others couldn't provide that. We're at a point where we could bank another high pick and a prospect from a team that missed on Panarin. Time to strike while the iron is hot.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
It sucks that every halfway decent player can command a six or seven year contract, but that's the market. I love Kreider and trading him for futures makes this team worse in the short-run, but it has to be done unless he accepts a sweetheart deal.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I don't think they'll keep him but I'd like to see them try. Would love to know what his camp is asking for. He brings a different element to the top 6. I'd move Buch and Names before Kreider if I could.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
You should update the poll that includes salary options, because it matters big time. It is not a black and white question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad