Karlsson vs Matthews

Who’s currently the better hockey player?

• EK65

Votes: 50 27.6%
  • AM34

Votes: 130 71.8%
  • Too close to call

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Who’s currently the better hockey player?

EK65
GP 31
G 12
A 26
P 38 (7th league wide)
ES points 29 (2nd league wide)
CF% 59.1
CF% rel 18.2

AM34
GP 30
G 15
A 20
P 35 (12th league wide)
ES points 23 (12th league wide)
CF% 60.8
CF% rel 16.5

• Haha
Reactions: 34

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I mean currently it’s EK, but I can easily see that changing at any point.

EK is riding a hot streak that he hasn’t had in a while whereas Auston is underperforming from what we are used to seeing.

Is it possible that they both carry the same respective paces? Absolutely. However the more likely scenario seems like it would be Matthews taking the lead again.

Reactions: Snowsii and bh53

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015

EK is riding a hot streak that he hasn’t had in a while whereas Auston is underperforming from what we are used to seeing.

Is it possible that they both carry the same respective paces? Absolutely. However the more likely scenario seems like it would be Matthews taking the lead again.
Anyone saying Karlsson has a “hot streak” is obviously not watching any Shark’s games. He’s dominating each and every game in a way only McDavid tops currently. EK has been very very unfortunate with the bounces and in the scoring column relative his play the last 15 games or so, I’d say he’s practically rather on a cold streak than on a hot streak right now as weird as you that might sound given his total production this year.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Anyone saying Karlsson has a “hot streak” is obviously not watching any Shark’s games. He’s dominating each and every game in a way only McDavid tops currently. EK has been very very unfortunate with the bounces and in the scoring column relative his play the last 15 games or so, I’d say he’s practically rather on a cold streak than on a hot streak right now as weird as you that might sound given his total production this year.
People watch Sharks games?

Jokes aside yes I have watched them, but I’ve also watched the last few years. Comparative to past seasons, this is definitely a serious upswing.

Like I said though, it is possible that these trajectories are just the way things are moving forward. However I’m banking on it going back to what we’ve seen leading up to this season.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The reigning Hart/Lindsay/Rocket winner - who in my opinion will repeat this season as Rocket winner, and once again end up a hart finalist - is better than the defenseman who has done well so far in ~30 games this season, but who is coming off multiple really poor seasons.

It's hilarious that the vote is close as of this posting.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Karlsson lovers are becoming more and more desperate for validation of their boy.

Karlsson and Matthews don't even play the same position (well one could argue they do because Karlsson is a total zero when it comes to defence). Useless poll IMO.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Matthews WAS under performing he's not anymore nobody is talking about him because Marner is on an incredible run right now but Matthews has something like 12 points in his last 8 games.

He's back, or damn close to it.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Matthews WAS under performing he's not anymore nobody is talking about him because Marner is on an incredible run right now but Matthews has something like 12 points in his last 8 games.

He's back, or damn close to it.
Oh agreed, he’s definitely bounced back from the first stretch. He’s not producing at the level we’ve seen him do though. Which, in all fairness, was an insane level to begin with.

So the gap has narrowed, but I’d still have EK ahead…..for now…..

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Odd how many posters seem to disregard the degree of unicity it takes for a Dman to be 2nd in ES points, while Dmen usually collect the majority of their points on the PP.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Karlsson can play lights out all he wants. About damn time he starts earning that contract. I still pick Matthews.

If the Sharks don't make the playoffs, you can forget about the Norris.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
If I’m on a playoff run this year and in need of both positions I take Matthews.

Love EK but Matthews isn’t the player to compare him to.

ralphamale14

Nov 3, 2022
Defending Hart winner vs a guy whose cap hit makes him untradeable?

How is this even a thing, why not ask whose better Connor McDavid or Drew Doughty?

Oh wait, Matthews plays for Toronto so let's blindly despise him cause Leafs...

Last edited:

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Defending Hart winner vs a guy whose cap hit makes him untradeable?

How is this even a thing, why not ask whose better Connor McDavid or Drew Doughty?

Oh wait, Matthews plays for Toronto so let's blindly despise him cause Leafs...
I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the Leafs when there has been 200 other threads of Karlsson vs this year.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

ijuka

May 14, 2016
There's no question that Karlsson has had the better season so far, especially considering his trash team and how much he's leading his team in scoring by, as a defenseman.

However, it's pretty much impossible to take Karlsson over Matthews as a player at this point in their careers.

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the Leafs when there has been 200 other threads of Karlsson vs this year.
This kind of a poll clearly has something to do with Leafs, they didn't just happen to pick Matthews out of all possible players.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Link to QOC stats for each.
Dont need the stats. Look at the shift chart on natural stat trick and line up who he plays against. For such a defensive boss, he sure doesn't see a lot of top guys. You can judge for yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad