Proposal: Karlsson to EDM for futures (no Drai/Klef/Larsson/RNH)

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Honest question for Sens fans - why is he so much worse? He was good defensively last year. Does he look slower? Disinterested? The results of playing for a dumpster fire team where everything is going wrong? What gives?

I think it's a combination of a bunch of things that are contributing.

1) His conditioning isn't there.

2) He lacks mobility due to the surgery.

3) He's really struggling to get the puck through to the net when in the offensive zone, not sure what I chalk this up to.

4) He is just not using his brain defensively, losing coverage routinely and the puck is ending up in the back of our net.

5) His teammates are brutal and that doesn't help. I'd speculate team chemistry isn't too good as well.

6) Honestly - and this is a bit of a ridiculous comment granted - he just seems to play arrogantly now, like he thinks he's too good for this league/this team which results in him not giving 100%, and the reality is, he needs to.

Tons of different things.

Snaibberi

Mar 20, 2008
I love that 5 first round picks "doesn't sniff" a rental player on this forum. Stay classy HFBoards.

Before the draft first round pick is like gold... Or bitcoins made out of gold. After draft especially is that first rounder doesnt make impact in the draft +1 season he is considered worthless.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Thoughts on a future package for an extended Karlsson? I'd want something like Nurse + Puljujarvi + Yamamoto + Bear + 1st.

IMO that is too much and much more than what Pronger received.

Looking at Ottawa's draft pick situation I think a trade would be similar to:

2018 1st, 2018 2nd, 2019 1st, 2019 3rd, Benning, Jones

FOR

Karlsson

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Honestly I think Karlsson for Draisaitl+ makes sense as a base in many regards. Obviously it would depend on what was added to see if it's a fit for both teams.

But EDM needs a top pairing D and they get one of the best in the world

OTT needs a number 1 C and to get younger and Drai is that

EDM has to get rid of cap if they are moving Karlsson and they have 2 top 6 centers playing great right now

OTT is going to ruin it's defence when trading Karlsson regardless so if th3 main piece coming back is a downgrade on Karlsson that doesn't make much sense- might as well improve on a position and at least we have Chabot in the system

Now Ottawa might want prospects picks or young d-man in the deal but as a base I think it makes a lot of sense

McJazz

Jun 18, 2016
Gothenburg
Honestly I think Karlsson for Draisaitl+ makes sense as a base in many regards. Obviously it would depend on what was added to see if it's a fit for both teams.

EDM has to get rid of cap if they are moving Karlsson and they have 2 top 6 centers playing great right now

OTT is going to ruin it's defence when trading Karlsson regardless so if th3 main piece coming back is a downgrade on Karlsson that doesn't make much sense- might as well improve on a position and at least we have Chabot in the system

Now Ottawa might want prospects picks or young d-man in the deal but as a base I think it makes a lot of sense

Even though I’d love to see Karlsson on the oilers, the contract aspect is too scary.

For a signed Karlsson I’d easily offer up Drai, Yamamoto and a first (even though some team should beat that offer), but when he will be an unrestricted free agent in one and a half year? No. The possibility of him leaving for nothing is just too scary to give up Drai +

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
That doesn't get Karlsson

I dunno. I know it's Karlsson, but Nurse + Puljujarvi + Yamamoto + Bear + 1st is a massive, massive return. I think Ottawa would jump at this personally. There's not a lot of past examples of players of Karlsson's caliber being traded to use as a benchmark, but this is pretty close to the Pronger to Anaheim package in terms of value.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Even though I’d love to see Karlsson on the oilers, the contract aspect is too scary.

For a signed Karlsson I’d easily offer up Drai, Yamamoto and a first (even though some team should beat that offer), but when he will be an unrestricted free agent in one and a half year? No. The possibility of him leaving for nothing is just too scary to give up Drai +

Yeah I wrote that under the assumption he is traded in the summer so teams can talk extension

Honestly I dont really see a realistic scenario where he is traded without an extension...like that wouldn't maximize his value which would be pretty silly.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I dunno. I know it's Karlsson, but Nurse + Puljujarvi + Yamamoto + Bear + 1st is a massive, massive return. I think Ottawa would jump at this personally. There's not a lot of past examples of players of Karlsson's caliber being traded to use as a benchmark, but this is pretty close to the Pronger to Anaheim package in terms of value.

That's a lot of awesome pieces but I don't see how that makes sense for EDM..like your taking on one if the top players in the league but you still got to pay him. Without a big contract coming back to Ottawa they force themselves to make another trade or trades to fix that issue.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
If I was Ottawa I'd be looking to deal with Nashville sp?, CBJ or Winnipeg in an EK trade.

I thought EK was a defenseman. When did he become a #1 center because that's what the CBJ need. Don't know why you included them other than thinking they might swap Jones for him which in my opinion I would not. EK is a great player but would be a luxury item on a team that is still a ways away from being a Stanley Cup contender.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
That's a lot of awesome pieces but I don't see how that makes sense for EDM..like your taking on one if the top players in the league but you still got to pay him. Without a big contract coming back to Ottawa they force themselves to make another trade or trades to fix that issue.

I'm not saying Edmonton would do this. I'm just saying it's definitely not an underpayment for Karlsson and I wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa jumped on it if it were ever offered.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I'm not saying Edmonton would do this. I'm just saying it's definitely not an underpayment for Karlsson and I wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa jumped on it if it were ever offered.

Oh sorry yes value wise I don't see it as an underpayment either - I think there are other pieces that fulfill our needs a lot more but hey that's a lot of talent coming back

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Nothing the Oilers have I want.

I want nothing to do with Drais contract.

Wow that is a shocking statement. I think you might be undervaluing the Oiler's roster. However since it is unlikely Melnyk will want to pay anyone $8.5 million per year I guess this is a dead issue.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Wow that is a shocking statement. I think you might be undervaluing the Oiler's roster. However since it is unlikely Melnyk will want to pay anyone $8.5 million per year I guess this is a dead issue.

I wouldn’t say it’s shocking, just ill-informed. Draisaitl is signed for a very long time, and I hope he remains an Oiler through the entirety of the contract.

Don’t let the negativity get to you.

Reactions: McNuge and TrentonF

Connor

Aug 17, 2015

Hypothetically, if the Sens retain on Karlsson the Oilers can run most of their lineup for the next year and a half and when Karlsson's new contract kicks in, both Sekera and Russell contracts are changed from NMC to partial NTCs. Oilers can trade both of those guys the first year of Karlsson's new deal.

Also, any team trading for Karlsson would be in a win now mode; Oilers would need to keep as many current impact pieces as possible.

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
I thought EK was a defenseman. When did he become a #1 center because that's what the CBJ need. Don't know why you included them other than thinking they might swap Jones for him which in my opinion I would not. EK is a great player but would be a luxury item on a team that is still a ways away from being a Stanley Cup contender.

From Ottawa perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad