Proposal: Karlsson to EDM for futures (no Drai/Klef/Larsson/RNH)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
No.

First off, Nurse has probably become our most untouchable defenseman with his play this year. Him and Larsson are fixtures going forward. Klefbom could possibly be had though if it meant we were getting a guy like Karlsson.

Second of all the salary won't work with a deal like this. A guy like Draisaitl would almost certainly need to be going the other way. If that's not okay with some Oiler fans, I get it, but we'd need to trade a big, big contract to bring in Karlsson.

The only offer I see as being close to fair in terms of value and salary would be something around Karlsson and a depth forward (Pageau or Smith would be nice) for Draisaitl, Klefbom, and maybe a 1st or a good prospect. That would give Ottawa two good young roster players who should be top line/pair players for a long time, locked up long term to go along with what they get for futures, while it gives Edmonton a premier defenseman for the first time since Pronger.

Draisaitl + Klefbom + 1st is another good package

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think we'd be adding at least 2 considerable pieces. Sens fans can't really play the "McDavid or GTFO" anymore, but I think the add would have to be Puljujarvi + Bear to Drai just to get them to listen. I'd do that as an Oil fan. Still not sure Sens fans would.
I'd listen

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Unfortunately Draisaitl has to go back to Ottawa in any trade for Karlsson for Quality and Cap reasons. I'd hate to lose Leon as I think he has the potential to be dominant in the NHL year round and he is only 22. You have to give something good to get something though.

Plus if you sign Karlsson (and you have to in order to justify the trade) you are getting him ages 29-37...

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Plus if you sign Karlsson (and you have to in order to justify the trade) you are getting him ages 29-37...

I'm not sure if you're framing the age factor as a negative, but if so I'd mention that Nik Lidstrom won all 7 of his Norris trophies after turning 30, as well as 9/10 of his First Team All-Star honours coming after the age of 29. I know they're not the same style of player and the league is different now, but I'd have no worries or hesitation in handing him an 8 year extension.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Ottawa is trading Karlsson due to cap reasons (which doesn't make sense since they just acquired Duchene) then they will be looking for high end players on ELC's, prospects and draft picks. The only way they're taking back a contract like Draisaitl's is if they think they are a better team with Draisaitl+ then they are with Karlsson. Having Mcdavid and Karlsson on the same team is a huge wet dream for Oiler fans but I doubt it will happen.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
As an Oilers and Sens fan I wouldn't want Karlsson on the Oilers at all. To lose all that young prospect talent that they don't have enough of is not worth it. The Chances of Karlsson leaving the Sens is as much chance as Bettman putting an expansion team in Quebec.

If you want a top 3 player in the league, its going to cost a metric shit tonne.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
That doesn't get Karlsson

Thats a holy overpayment for 1,5yrs of Karlsson.2x projected 1st line RW, Lotterypick, 2nd pairing D, projected 2nd pairing D - possible 1st (Bear). Karlsson with 8yrs at 8-10mill would maybe be worth it.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Thoughts on a future package for an extended Karlsson? I'd want something like Nurse + Puljujarvi + Yamamoto + Bear + 1st.
And how the heck do you think by us mortgaging only futures do we re-sign Karlsson...keeping in mind hes gonna get north of 10M/yr

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
So OP wants to trade spare parts for Karlsson. Good luck with that. let me know how that works out for you. My guess the talking starts with Drai plus unprotected 1st this year, which is a lottery pick. Oilers can't afford him without Drai being part of that package.

Reactions: branch

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So OP wants to trade spare parts for Karlsson. Good luck with that. let me know how that works out for you. My guess the talking starts with Drai plus unprotected 1st this year, which is a lottery pick. Oilers can't afford him without Drai being part of that package.
Agreed on all counts. Too early to say it will be a lottery pick but it could be. The Oil look to be turning it around, but they could fall back again. Either way, I proposed Draisaitl, Klefbom and a 1st for Karlsson and a depth forward in another thread. I think it's pretty fair. Potential #1 C who has been a #1 RW, #2/3 LD, and a 1st is probably the best offer the Sens get. It's really mostly about whether its enough to get them to trade him. I also think this trade would need to wait until the summer so an extension can be signed. I don't think it happens without an extension for Karlsson.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
If Draisaitl is too expensive for the Sens, they could always take a 2018 first, 2019 first, Nurse, and JP.

That would allow the Sens to get a good young Dman (although soon to be a RFA), a skilled winger on a ELC and two picks for their future. I know it's not the most talented package, but at least it's inexpensive, which seems to be important here.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
If Draisaitl is too expensive for the Sens, they could always take a 2018 first, 2019 first, Nurse, and JP.

That would allow the Sens to get a good young Dman (although soon to be a RFA), a skilled winger on a ELC and two picks for their future. I know it's not the most talented package, but at least it's inexpensive, which seems to be important here.

Oilers could not do any deal that did not include a large contract going out. Karlsson is going to be too expensive otherwise. And even at that if we are going to sign Karlsson for an 8 year deal at probably 12 million it would have to wait to see if he is 100% after his ankle injuries. Otherwise it is team/cap suicide.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Oilers could not do any deal that did not include a large contract going out. Karlsson is going to be too expensive otherwise. And even at that if we are going to sign Karlsson for an 8 year deal at probably 12 million it would have to wait to see if he is 100% after his ankle injuries. Otherwise it is team/cap suicide.

Karlsson is signed through the end of the 2018-19 season.

I know for sure that the Oilers have more than enough cap space to fit him on the team right now. They will have the entire offseason, to find a way to fit him under the cap for the 2018-19 season, which almost certainly doable. He's friggin' Karlsson, you find a way to make this work!

Two years down the road when Karlsson is due a significant raise, the Oilers will have had 18 months to find a way to give him the money he should be paid and fit him on the team under the current structure. They have more than enough time to pull this off.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Draisaitl +Dman+Pick/Prospect is what I would expect.

I think as a Sens fan Larsson might make more sense just because he's a RHD.

We would basically have to roll Chabot-Larsson as our top pair which has potential going forward.

Leaving Nurse/Klefbom-Karlsson for Edmonton which is damn elite.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
No way this happens... That is a package for a signed Karlsson, not for 1.5 years of him. Edmonton can't afford to give up all of their cost controlled assets. Hell, the price for an extended Subban was less than that... No team is going to gut their team completely to acquire Karlsson, who is 100% going to UFA in 1.5 years. I'd love Karlsson on Edmonton, but not at that price. Might as well just wait until he hits UFA and try to sign him.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Karlsson is signed through the end of the 2018-19 season.

I know for sure that the Oilers have more than enough cap space to fit him on the team right now.
They will have the entire offseason, to find a way to fit him under the cap for the 2018-19 season, which almost certainly doable. He's friggin' Karlsson, you find a way to make this work!

Two years down the road when Karlsson is due a significant raise, the Oilers will have had 18 months to find a way to give him the money he should be paid and fit him on the team under the current structure. They have more than enough time to pull this off.

They have that room for McDavids 2nd contract kicking in next year.

Drai+ futures for Karlsson,
Klefbom for best forward offer/picks offer,
get rid of Russell.

Lucic- McD- Pulju
Khaira- RNH- Yam/Klefbom return

Sekera- Karlsson
Nurse- Larsson.

That's the way it could work for Edmonton and not destroy the depth/future completely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad