Kappy ; Speed skater or NHLer ?

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Guy has one advantage few know about. His Girlfirend is absolutely stunning and is a real fitness and nutritional buff. She does a lot of videos, and she is really a cool person. So cool in fact, that even though I am a high testosterone male, I can get past how insanely hot she is, and concentrate on her information.

She has Kasperi working out and eating intelligently. This guy is highly motivated (or should be) to keep this girl in hot digs and lifestlye. He will never find hotter than this.

She also very clearly explains that these guys (Toronto based NHLers) are trained to avoid any glimpses in a big way into their personal lives.

Reactions: Raymoondo and Tak7

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Never hated Marner. I always have liked him. I thought we needed a D more. We still need a Dman. You can find several posts where I say he could be the best of the 3. Now that's out of the way, Kapanen is just not doing anything spectacular. If he were you would call him core or future core and not include him in trades for top 4D.

PS. @Jeypic you don't work hard at being quick. You can become quicker but his speed was because he was born with it. Luck of the draw. It's like saying if I worked hard enough when I was younger I could beat U. Bolt not happening.
again. Complete garbage.

His skating required just as much practice perfecting as Matthews stickhandling. Have you ever been to a hockey practice?

They both got good genes. Who cares?

Kapanen made you look bad last night btw

Reactions: stickty111

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I think many people have high hopes for Kapanen because he will forever be tied to the phil kessel trade and he was only the real legit piece we got back in the deal

So do you think if we manage to pick up Tyler Seguin as a UFA in 2019, those particular fans might start clamoring for Kapanen to be traded for Dougie Hamilton:sarcasm: to finally put that all to rest?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
again. Complete garbage.

His skating required just as much practice perfecting as Matthews stickhandling. Have you ever been to a hockey practice?

They both got good genes. Who cares?

Kapanen made you look bad last night btw

You have not proven anything. Are you suggesting that any human that is born can practice/train their way to becoming the fastest person in the world, top 10-20? I think you're wrong if you think that. Some people just have it man, Matthews probably put more time into that but he was born wired a certain way that enabled him to do what he does. Some guys can skate fast and do nothing else at all. Some can skate fast and agile but when they have the puck, they suck no matter how much they practice.

Kapanen didn't make me anything last night, well, except for happy that he DID EXACTLY AS I SAID HE NEEDED TO DO.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
You have not proven anything. Are you suggesting that any human that is born can practice/train their way to becoming the fastest person in the world, top 10-20? I think you're wrong if you think that. Some people just have it man, Matthews probably put more time into that but he was born wired a certain way that enabled him to do what he does. Some guys can skate fast and do nothing else at all. Some can skate fast and agile but when they have the puck, they suck no matter how much they practice.

Kapanen didn't make me anything last night, well, except for happy that he DID EXACTLY AS I SAID HE NEEDED TO DO.
lol no. I wasn’t suggesting that at all.

You want to give kapanen less credit for his speed then you give Matthews for his hands.

Every nhler has good gene’s.

It’s not enough.

They’ve both still worked hard at what they’re good at every day of their lives practically.

You think kapanen sat out all of the skating portions of practice his whole life cuz he was born with it? Of course not. Most likely he practiced at it even harder once realizing his gift. No different then Matthews with his shot.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
It seems more and more likely that we won't extend Bozak or JvR. Kappy and AJ showing skill on the wing and Nylander playing C.

That's would be a beautiful second line. If Matthews can carry Brown and Hyman at the same time than Marner can stay with Marleau and Kadri. And you have three dangerous lines that come at you in different ways.

Reactions: saffronleaf

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Yeah he is.

You're telling me you wouldnt include him in a deal for a top pairing dman?

Anyone is tradeable if you get the right return. You could trade Reilly for Josi; would that make Reilly expendable?

Kapanen is tradeable like anyone else, but we should think long and hard about the kind of return we're getting if Kapanen is involved. He's not a piece we should tack on to deals willy nilly.

I think he'll be a solid 2nd line winger who can put up 60 pts, kill penalties, generate space for linemates, retrieve pucks, forecheck, backcheck, decent shot, decent passing, insane speed.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
He should be on the powerplay. Makes no sense why he is not on the second unit.

First unit is fine with jvr, kadri, bozak, marner, and mo

Second unit should be kapanen, matthews, nylander, johnsson/dermott, gardiner. I want to see 2 snipers on our pp to give matthews and nylander passing options, or have dermott there so he can help run it smoothly.

He's also pretty good at zone entries.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Kapanen is an NHLer. He isnt going anywhere. Leafs are losing Bozak, JVR, Komarov, and Moore this offseason so Kapenen will have a roster spot and plenty of ice time.

HerculePoirot

Mar 9, 2012
Guy has one advantage few know about. His Girlfirend is absolutely stunning and is a real fitness and nutritional buff. She does a lot of videos, and she is really a cool person. So cool in fact, that even though I am a high testosterone male, I can get past how insanely hot she is, and concentrate on her information.

She has Kasperi working out and eating intelligently. This guy is highly motivated (or should be) to keep this girl in hot digs and lifestlye. He will never find hotter than this.

She also very clearly explains that these guys (Toronto based NHLers) are trained to avoid any glimpses in a big way into their personal lives.

That sure is an advantage. As you said, Kap will be responsible off the ice and has access to more in-depth info on nutrition and fitness as compared to the average NHL'er.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Kapanen is a slam dunk top 6 player in my opinion. You can't judge a player by his production on the 4th line with no powerplay time.

The fact that he is producing at all as the best offensive player on his line, looks good in 10 minutes per game, and doesn't spend any time on the powerplay is very impressive.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Kappy is an NHL player and a very useful player as he can play up and down the lineup.

As for his skating he was blessed with an abundance of fast twitch muscles and good fast feet hence his speed. Just like a player with exception hands he needed to practice his technique to take advantage of his god given talents.

I see him as a player that is going to get a big chance next year to play higher up in the line up to see just what we have and he in my opinion will be a great top 9 winger who can play in the top 6 if needed along with killing penalties. If he clicks with a line and they have good chemistry he could be a top 6 winger.

He will have value on the trade market if he can produce at a good level which will come in handy in two years. Kappy, Brown and Hyman are all in the same area of importance for our team right now with either Brown or Kappy pricing himself out of Toronto should either explode offensively and a decision would need to be made. They also could be pieces used to obtain a player in an area of need.

Love our winger depth.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kappy is an NHL player and a very useful player as he can play up and down the lineup.

As for his skating he was blessed with an abundance of fast twitch muscles and good fast feet hence his speed. Just like a player with exception hands he needed to practice his technique to take advantage of his god given talents.

I see him as a player that is going to get a big chance next year to play higher up in the line up to see just what we have and he in my opinion will be a great top 9 winger who can play in the top 6 if needed along with killing penalties. If he clicks with a line and they have good chemistry he could be a top 6 winger.

He will have value on the trade market if he can produce at a good level which will come in handy in two years. Kappy, Brown and Hyman are all in the same area of importance for our team right now with either Brown or Kappy pricing himself out of Toronto should either explode offensively and a decision would need to be made. They also could be pieces used to obtain a player in an area of need.

Love our winger depth.

And no one should forget in 2 years every player will be 2 years older.

The Leafs have to start taking better advantage of players who have a limited shelf life and move them for better assets than just conditional picks or 6-7th. rounders.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Let's be honest though. He isn't showing core type material. He is just another guy on a hockey team. He needs to start making people turn heads, even if on the 4th line, should be easier

He does not need to be a core piece we have Matthews Marner Nylander Rielly Kadri and Andersen for that, and Dermott has the potential to be a core piece as well.

The core is set

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
And no one should forget in 2 years every player will be 2 years older.

The Leafs have to start taking better advantage of players who have a limited shelf life and move them for better assets than just conditional picks or 6-7th. rounders.
Right now there is no need to move players but in two years we will have decisions to make on players as the cap will rear its ugly head.
This summer will again see us attempt to trade or sign a top 4 d man as we simply have to get Z out of the top 4 and look to move Hainsey to bottom pair as well.

Trades will happen as a result of salary cap and prospect development and not simply to stock pile picks.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Speed to burn, great shot and kills penalties. Scored a ton in the AHL as well. Played really well in the playoffs last year too. What's not to like? Sounds like the ideal 3rd-line player, or a defensively responsible winger on a more offensive line. Cost controlled as well for a number of years. Sounds pretty good to me. The kid is a rookie, let's see what he's got over the next few years before making sweeping judgements about the guy.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Kappy ; Speed skater or NHLer ?

I’m not giving up on the youngster
But
Is it just me , or if he was on another team , would we think as highly as we do in regards to his game as a whole with considerations to all factors involved with his tenure on the team thus far ?
Just asking ?

Sorry
ruKus calls it like I sees it!
Goo F€£¥in LEAFS GOoooo!

9 goals in his last 37 games as a leaf, all but one on the 4th line. by comparison bozak has 11 in 71 games this year getting 1st unit PP time

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I've caught the buds playing 3 times in the last month and a half and watching Kappy live you can clearly see the difference in his game from his stint last year vs his full time gig this season.

Last year Kapanen was very hesitant on his role as a 4th line guy. A ton of times he would arrive late on the play and just seemed to be one step behind the play.

This year he has looked way more comfortable in his role and you can see it in the way he plays. In the games that I watched live, he was by far the Leafs best back checker. He constantly forced the opposing team to rush their plays and he was very good at isolating the opposition rushes to one side of the ice purely because of his speed. Offensively I still saw the same hesitation as I had seen before but I can't really completely blame the guy for that. We all know how hard it is to crack the leafs lineup especially when you play wing. Now imagine you getting hurt while you're crashing the net like Kappy can do about 5 times every game. He seems very hesitant to make that sort of play to most likely avoid injury and because it's a high risk play. I guess it's easier to just play it safe on the 4th line as not much is expected of you offensively.

As he moves up the lineup I think we will see a much more aggressive Kappy. Like he has been with the Marlies. When he was playing the tweener role with the Marlies Kappy used to play the safe game. It wasn't until he was a full time fixture on the top line that he earned enough confidence to just go out there and make plays with his physical talents.

All in all, I think people will be pleasently surprised with the kid if they decide to be patient right now. He's going to pay off down the line and I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up being one of the core guys we end up keeping around. He's certainly one of the most versatile Leafs players ala Uncle leo, Hyman, brown and AJ.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Kapanen is a slam dunk top 6 player in my opinion. You can't judge a player by his production on the 4th line with no powerplay time.

I disagree he is a top 6, unless its as a worker. Kapanen is a 3rd line guy, imo. Its possible he takes Marleau's spot being the main worker with Kadri and Marner, down the road. But he wont be there for skill only. Maybe Grundstrom or Korshkov take that worker roll. I base this on two things, Kapanen's hockey sense and vision are not on Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri level. Kapanen has been outsmarted several times on 3 on 2's and 2 on 1's with the puck on his stick. Forcing passes turning pucks over when given a glaring opening to shoot. If u repeat this enough, u wont see top 6.

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
Kap will be in the 2nd or 3rd line next year and put up 20+ goals easy and 40-50 points. He is pretty good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad