Kappy ; Speed skater or NHLer ?

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens

I’m not giving up on the youngster
But
Is it just me , or if he was on another team , would we think as highly as we do in regards to his game as a whole with considerations to all factors involved with his tenure on the team thus far ?
Just asking ?

Sorry
ruKus calls it like I sees it!
Goo F€£¥in LEAFS GOoooo!

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
if he wasn't 21 i would be worried, but hes still so young, a lot of time to grow as a player im not worried at all

that top 10ish in nhl speed can not be taught, he will be a good solid line 3 and line 4 nhl player already just with his speed imo...and if his skills and hands and mind ever catches up to that insane speed, he will be a star, not superstar but a very good star player

Reactions: Jeypic

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
he's doing his best to play the role babs gave him. if he has a longer leash, we will see better plays.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
NHL player ... pretty obvious, well blatantly obvious.

Only unknown is how high up the line-up he'll move with experience and confidence.

He has to be more selfish and defer to no one. Probably have a few more points, which would have given him more confidence resulting in more points had he shot when in good position, rather than deferring to others.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Needs to consistently play with better players and it will all come together.

Maybe the Leafs pick up Grabner for a second go around and plug him in on the same line as Kapanen next year? I wonder what the two of them workintg together on regular end to end rushes could accomplish (not to mention the PK.)

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Two way player, Pker, great skater, can score clutch goals in the NHL.

He proved he can score and be a great play maker at all levels but the NHL yet.

Let's not pull a Steen with him here. Let him figure his shit out in the fourth line until he 'wants' to be promoted. Ie. Take the next step offensively in the NHL.

Reactions: Rogie

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's not looking great right now. I mean if Leivo's 4th line production is the measure of failure, Kapanen is in the same boat. He has not done many things with his speed against 4th liners that would make us go WOW! He is like Nylander or Marner awesome! I keep waiting and that's what I have been expecting is instances where he chews other NHL 4th liners apart and snipes some goals. So far he just hangs in there and is a better option for PKing than Leivo due to coveted speed.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
It's not looking great right now. I mean if Leivo's 4th line production is the measure of failure, Kapanen is in the same boat. He has not done many things with his speed against 4th liners that would make us go WOW! He is like Nylander or Marner awesome! I keep waiting and that's what I have been expecting is instances where he chews other NHL 4th liners apart and snipes some goals. So far he just hangs in there and is a better option for PKing than Leivo due to coveted speed.

I agree with you.. Some posters saying when he gets better players he'll succeed, but, why not just succeed on the 4th line - pedal to the medal and start producing. If he can do it in the A, then, he can do it against 4th liners in the show.

HE'S STILL LEARNING TO PLAY IN THE SHOW, so, let's give him some time.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I agree with you.. Some posters saying when he gets better players he'll succeed, but, why not just succeed on the 4th line - pedal to the medal and start producing. If he can do it in the A, then, he can do it against 4th liners in the show.

HE'S STILL LEARNING TO PLAY IN THE SHOW, so, let's give him some time.

He is still learning and that's fine. He should feel lucky that he has that speed and defensive ability. I he had just speed and couldn't PK, he may not be in the lineup right now. I would say he should pushing himself trying to score. He needs to start executing and that's especially true in the PO.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
One thing about Kapanen is you do notice him on the ice even when he's not scoring. He's making it harder for the opponents to make plays when he's on the ice.

Reactions: stickty111

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016

But
Is it just me , or if he was on another team , would we think as highly as we do in regards to his game as a whole with considerations to all factors involved with his tenure on the team thus far ?
Just asking ?

Sorry
Goo F€£¥in LEAFS GOoooo!
Absolutely an NHLer. Middle six winger. Blazing speed and a great wrist shot. Kills penalties. He's got a bright future and is a fantastic complementary piece to our big three. If you base his performance on his offensive output, those results are very skewed given the quality of linemates he is playing with game in and game out.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
He is still learning and that's fine. He should feel lucky that he has that speed and defensive ability. I he had just speed and couldn't PK, he may not be in the lineup right now. I would say he should pushing himself trying to score. He needs to start executing and that's especially true in the PO.
This is garbage. He has that speed and defensive ability because he worked hard for it. Why should he feel lucky? I guess Matthews should feel pretty lucky for his hands and his shot hey? Otherwise he might not be in the nhl.

You must have already forgetten kapanen’s game winning overtime goal in the playoffs for us last year. Rather then telling him what he needs to do, you need to give him a little breathing space. Our team is better with him on the ice as it stands. If he improves, as much as most 21 yo’s do, then that’s gonna be a real nice bonus.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Like all the youngsters on this team, he will be eased in and see his role increased over time. I think he should be able to put up 40-50 points if he gets a top 9 role next year.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I don't see him near as elite as others seem to...

He's fast and got a nice wrister, but honestly I have not seen anything to make me feel much more for him.
I'd go so far as to say, he's expendable with our wing depth, and should be one of guys traded off to upgrade elsewhere.

Reactions: IamruKusleaf

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

But
Just asking ?

Sorry
Goo F€£¥in LEAFS GOoooo!

He’s Viktor Stalberg with hands and defensive responsibility, will be in the league for 10-15 years easily

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kapanen isnt expendable. Lets not be stupid.

Let's be honest though. He isn't showing core type material. He is just another guy on a hockey team. He needs to start making people turn heads, even if on the 4th line, should be easier

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think he is already one of the more trustworthy forwards the Leafs have. Set him next to Matthews/Nylander or Kadri/Marner and he could challenge Kadri as the team's next most valuable forward after the big 3.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Can you imagine that speed and skill in his prime? This guy still looks like a 17 year old kid lol his time will come. Kapanen is a keeper.

Going to be a consistent 50-60 point guy by 24-25. Until then he's a solid two way forward with the occasional burst of brilliance that makes us go damnnnnnnnnn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->