Line Combos: Kapanen watch

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by heybuddyhowyadoing, Apr 12, 2018.

1. The Best Leafs Ever

The Best Leafs Ever Registered User

I am aware of this fact but if you think that Babcock can see what we all see than you are in for disappointment. He is like a racist in hockey term.

2. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Registered User

I've already resigned myself to that fact. I am growing to dislike Babcock by the day. His egotistic nature hampers the team in the long run as a sacrifice for being married to his own opinions. Ideally Kadri should have Brown and Hyman beside him as our third line checking line but nope.

3. Apotheosis

Matthews isn't healthy. I don't get why people don't understand this. He's still a physical beast from a size perspective, but it shouldn't surprise anyone he's not playing like he wants to kill other players. We all knew from weeks ago he wouldn't be 100 percent for the playoffs. My whole thing with the line is (hoping in to next year); It's fast (Grundstrom has good speed, Matthews is borderline elite in that category and Kapanen is All World) and given the grittiness of the wingers, it would be good on the rush AND on the cycle, with our big franchise C.

4. The Best Leafs Ever

Well I am a bit lazy and using the phone otherwise I would point out the facts of how many 1st round exits he had with Detroit after winning the cup. We're just paying him for his past achievements. I mean a real hockey guy can tell that VGK head coach is doing a fantastic job with the team made of scraps of other teams.

One of these days we need to think outside the box and get our own guys to win.

5. thewave

thewave Nazem Kadri #1 Fan

What is actually wrong with Matthews? I haven't heard but know he had a back problem and shoulder issue. I thought that healed though. He was just PPG+ leading into the PO. I have a hard time with the playing injured bit, most of those guys have something wrong by now. It looks to me like he is just getting outplayed.

The line you proposed works in my head as well. Doubt Babs will move Hyman though but I could see something like it working for sure.

6. Apotheosis

In 4 of the last 6 playoffs he's been 2 (including last year) he has been a first round exit. VGK is utterly dominating the Kings with less talent than us. That should tell everyone something about Babcock and his "policies".

The Best Leafs Ever likes this.
  7. Apotheosis

Too lazy to find the quote, but he said it himself that he wouldn't be 100 percent for the playoffs. There were also rumblings about offseason surgery to repair the tendon in his shoulder. As for the "playing injured" bit, guys in the NHL do it all the time. Did you not read that Sean Monahan had 4 different surgeries this season and played after all of them?

8. thewave

thewave Nazem Kadri #1 Fan

Yeah it's crazy dedication in sport. Well I hope our kids see the light as Kadri did from this. I hope they look at the Bruins and say, omg, I have to toughen up if I want to win the cup and just dedicate their body to the cause.

9. IPS

IPS Registered User

THIS 100%

Look at VGK's lineup. That LA lineup is oh-so-similar to Boston's lineup. Grizzled, cup-winning, veteren, heavy team with a godlike 2-way center and extremely stingy defense evidenced by their very low GA.

Babcock is a GARBAGE COACH, I'm shocked at how many people are still denying the very reality that's right in front of their eyes. Seriously, the game has passed him by. Get mad all you want but when you have a coach putting Leo ****ing Komarov with your franchise center and winger, SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG.

PuckMagi likes this.
  10. Apotheosis

We could literally run over the league and that's what makes me really sad. With this personnel and a little tinkering, we could run the league. It's pissing me off to the point of sadness.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, AJ, Kadri, Marleau. What team has their top 6 talent stretch all the way to the third line in the depth charts? No team. Doesn't matter how you spin the line-ups; just put all the skill with skill and have one dedicated checking line. That Bergeron line is one of the best lines I have ever seen and it is coincidentally all three of their team's best offensive players and they compliment each other very well.

AJ/Grundstrom - Matthews - Marner/Kapanen

Grundstrom/AJ - Nylander - Kapanen/Marner

Marleau - Kadri - Hyman

After that I do not care.

11. IPS

IPS Registered User

If properly put together we could have a forward group that would resemble the 2010 Blackhawks. I noticed your lines don't have JVR/Bozak so I'm assuming they're meant for future lines, which are still ridiculous lines.

What we could have potentially had this year:

JVR-Matthews-Leivo
    Marleau-Kadri-Marner
    Johnsson-Nylander-Kapanen
    Hyman-Bozak-Brown

Show me another team in the league who could run 4 lines like that with that level of speed and skill spread throughout the lines. That's honestly deeper than 2010 Chicago's forward group. But we don't, because we have a coach who's obsessed with lines needing to be composed of X, Y and Z and we end up mixing skilled plugs/grinders with skilled forwards all because he refuses to change his outlook of the game.

Endless combinations and possibilities, all useless and unexplored. Half the ****ing year we had Komarov in there. Game 2 of the playoffs and it's the first time we saw Matthews play a game without Hyman. Seriously makes me sad seeing all that potential squandered over pure stubbornness/ego, I feel we were robbed of something special. What do we get instead? LOL KOMAROV ON THE TOP LINE

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    PuckMagi likes this.
  12. Apotheosis

I've soured on Bozak and JVR. Way too soft for the playoffs. Save on whatever cap space when they leave plus Komarov and Polak's and Plekanec's cap hit and invest it elsewhere.

13. Griffin76

Griffin76 Registered User

That top 6 has me salivating. And any combination of wingers for either line could work too.

14. badi

badi Registered User

Put Kapanen with Mathews and Nylander and watch magic happening,,,,,

Does Babcock has the guts to do it ?

15. MR4

MR4 Registered User

No, that's too young, too much skill, not enough man for a line

16. Griffin76

Griffin76 Registered User

Things be hapanen with Kapanen.

17. The Best Leafs Ever

No Gud Pro on the line. It's not going to happen.

18. TorontoTrades

TorontoTrades Registered User

Who not Connor Brown with Matthews and Nylander? He can play that grinder and has better finish than Hyman and Komarov

Brown - Matthews - Nylander
    Hyman - Marleau - Kapanen
    JVR - Bozak - Johnsson
    Martin - Plekanec - Komarov

leafsfan2point0 likes this.
  19. Jozay

Jozay lolwut?

Looked good in game 2.

Had a little edge to him.

20. hector morrison

hector morrison Registered User

Attached Files:

21. Ainec

Ainec Jim Benning is a meme

outsider here

the worst thing that will happen if you lose to Boston is that your team heads into the direction of getting "tough". Already seeing a lot of posters saying you can't win with players like Marner Nylander throughout the lineup because they are soft. I don't know what you can do but I hope this narrative is not something the Leafs latch onto like the Canucks after 2011 finals.

Kapanen Johnson (finally got a chance after marinating so long in the ahl) are players you win with

22. Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan Registered User

Hyman-Matthews-Marleau
    Leivo-Nylander-Marner
    JVR-Bozak-Brown
    Johnsson-Plek-Kap

1st line matches against Bergeron and their only role is to try to not leak too many goals. Boston has been chasing the Matthews-Bergeron match up.

2nd line tries to prey on some of the weaker opposition with Leivo as a big body net presence.

3rd line looked the best so far this series so I wouldn't touch that line.

4th line is speed, speed, speed.

23. Raym11

Raym11 Phaneuf sucks

Take Nylander off the line and just give Matthews Kapanen and Hyman. If Matthews can't make anything out of their speed, thats on him

24. WizardOfNaz

WizardOfNaz Registered User

Babcock needs to make the bold moves headed back home. Plekanec has done ****. Put in Moore for god sakes. If Komarov is healthy, make him 4C. He takes half the PK draws anyways. Put our big 3 together like suggested in an article earlier today. Fight fire with fire.

Nylander-Matthews-Marner
    JVR-Bozak-Kapanen
    Hyman-Marleau-Brown (shut down)
    Johnsson-Moore/Komarov-Leivo

25. WizardOfNaz

WizardOfNaz Registered User

When Kadri returns (assuming we make it to 5)

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
    JVR-Bozak-Marner
    Hyman-Kadri-Brown (shut down)
    Johnsson-Moore/Komarov-Kapanen