Kane Traded to San Jose: 2019 First Round Pick, Cond. 2020 4th Rounder, Daniel O'Regan F

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It's not out of the question, hence why Wilson went for protecting it in the first place and not even giving us this years pick since they were somewhat on the bubble at the deadline.

The negative for Buffalo which people seem to ignore because of lottery fever, is that even if it magically becomes a higher then expected pick, you're not going to plausibly see that player do anything to help the Sabres for a probable 4+ years minimum from when this trade went down. I mean that's some serious delayed gratification.

We could be on like the GM and coach after the current GM and coach at that point. :sarcasm:

Agree with all of this. Let’s assume it gets deferred to 2020. A ticket at Lafreniere??? Yes, please. Pull some Celtic luck minus the cocaine overdose. Rip Bias

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The secret sauce to getting this deal done is how he fit into their lineup. 90% of NHL GMs have learned by now that Evander Kane is a better player in theory than practice, due to his puck IQ. That's why there wasn't much market for him at the trade deadline.

One team found the chemistry that summoned theoretical Evander Kane into being for a few weeks. I don't know what the offers would've been on July 1, but it would've made sense for San Jose to bid highest.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
ROR is only making 500k more than Kane... :laugh:

So glad we didn't try to keep him.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yeah, as a percentage of cap upon signing, it's almost the same % as what he got on that last deal. UFA's get paid and then there are regrets later. The number of no regrets high-profile UFA's over the years probably can be counted on one hand.
Luckily we haven't been burned by that......

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
There's nothing surprising about the dollar figure or term. The trade restrictions are a little generous, but then again, they got it done in May. I think that was the incentive to keep him from talking to other teams and help them plan their draft and ufa strategy.

It'll likely end up being more than he's worth, but that's the expectation here.
I'm a bit surprised. I thought he'd give a bit of a home town discount. He seemed to mesh well with those guys. He signed a premium deal he would've received on the open market. Major deals given out on the open market rarely ever work out well in the long term. Especially considering Kane's style of play. I'm already regretting that Okoposo contract. I'm sure Sharks fans will be hating this contract in 4 years max.

Not a good deal at all. That being said, good for Kane. The man maximized his contract due to his play in San Jose. He was not a hot commodity come the trade deadline. That's for damn sure. He got the premium term, figure, and a NMC. That's incredible.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I have not been impressed by any of the games I have been at watching Okposo. I have been with Kane. I do not intend to defend the Kane contract but I would trade Okposo for less than what we got for Kane-in a heartbeat. Chacun a son gout.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I have not been impressed by any of the games I have been at watching Okposo. I have been with Kane. I do not intend to defend the Kane contract but I would trade Okposo for less than what we got for Kane-in a heartbeat. Chacun a son gout.
I'm willing to give him one more year to see if he can contribute. He got better as he got healthier last year, a full healthy season might surprise us.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

I was quite content with his first 40 games. Then the concussion and this lost year. If he can recover next year back to 23ish goals 50ish points, I won’t mind his deal at all.

Can he get back...

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Okposo has negative value at this point.

Reactions: SharkInABoloTie

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
7x7 with quite a limited NTC is bonkers. San Jose are insane and I am in the minority that actually like Kane. He's not worth anything more than 6.5x6 without NTC...

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
i have no problem balking at that kane contract but this slander that a half-dead okposo was better...
It's like fans think whatever happened the first couple months of the season is the entire season. Kane did nothing after December.

December 1st - trade deadline.

Okposo - 26 points
Kane - 17 points

Just for fun
Rodrigues - 15 points

I will gladly give Rodrigues Kane's minutes and get more production overall. Watch Rodrigues put up 40-50 points consistently.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
The difference between 6.5 per and 7 per is 7%...kinda meaningless
Yes. But I didn't think he would get more than 5 years. In fact I expected less for some reason. It's a big commitment to a player no one wanted to give a straight 1st for.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
It's like fans think whatever happened the first couple months of the season is the entire season. Kane did nothing after December.

December 1st - trade deadline.

Okposo - 26 points
Kane - 17 points

Just for fun
Rodrigues - 15 points

I will gladly give Rodrigues Kane's minutes and get more production overall. Watch Rodrigues put up 40-50 points consistently.

"if you take this arbitrary timeframe, thereby cutting out the period that cuts against my narrative, you'll clearly see I'm right"

Reactions: Zip15

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
"if you take this arbitrary timeframe, thereby cutting out the period that cuts against my narrative, you'll clearly see I'm right"
Okposo has always been the superior player IMO. His recent injuries are hopefully behind him.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Kane has been the better player over the last two seasons. Okposo is a shell of his former self offensively at ES. If he gets bumped off PP1, look out because his numbers are going to plummet. Let's not go revising history.

The only area where Okposo is preferable to Kane is on the PP.

NOTE: I was all for trading Kane since I did not want to touch him at $6+ mil on a 6-7 year deal. (I also hated the Okposo signing two months before we made it, so there's that, too. Let's say it together: DON'T. GIVE. MAX. UFA DEALS. TO. NON-ELITE PLAYERS.)

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Kane disappeared once he was no longer with Eichel.

Though Okposo disappeared for a long time at ES. His worst stretch was 3 ES points from January 18th to March 24th (27 games).

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Okposo's down years are better than than Kane's best years.

You truly can't believe that or there's definitely a proven hatred towards Kane. Okposo is done and is garbage. Kane is 4 years younger and anyone who isn't a Murray apologist would rather have Kane at 7/49 for the next 7 years then Okposo getting 6 for the next 5. Kane will continue to score 19-29 goals a season while providing in other areas. Okposo will go from 40-50 point one dimensional aging 30+ slow winger to 30 point one dimensional slow winger making 6 mil. Probably in two years.

Kane is overpaid, but he was one of the best UFA options and a legit high end goal scorer. One of the games true power forwards and is every bit the player Simmonds is, I'll enjoy seeing Kane on a good team for once. He will likely be a solid 25 goal scorer for them while wreaking havoc with the body. The West is physical, Kanes game is bred for that team/playoff style hockey. Speed, high effort and drive. Kane excelled at all those areas. Sabre fans have no right to criticize this contract considering we have Okposo making 6 mil for half a decade now and have been paying Matt Moulson 5 mil a year for 4 years now to either be invisible or play in a different league :laugh:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
You truly can't believe that or there's definitely a proven hatred towards Kane. Okposo is done and is garbage. Kane is 4 years younger and anyone who isn't a Murray apologist would rather have Kane at 7/49 for the next 7 years then Okposo getting 6 for the next 5. Kane will continue to score 19-29 goals a season while providing in other areas. Okposo will go from 40-50 point one dimensional aging 30+ slow winger to 30 point one dimensional slow winger making 6 mil. Probably in two years.

Kane is overpaid, but he was one of the best UFA options and a legit high end goal scorer. One of the games true power forwards and is every bit the player Simmonds is, I'll enjoy seeing Kane on a good team for once. He will likely be a solid 25 goal scorer for them while wreaking havoc with the body. The West is physical, Kanes game is bred for that team/playoff style hockey. Speed, high effort and drive. Kane excelled at all those areas. Sabre fans have no right to criticize this contract considering we have Okposo making 6 mil for half a decade now and have been paying Matt Moulson 5 mil a year for 4 years now to either be invisible or play in a different league :laugh:
I'll take the one who's contract runs out faster.

I wouldn't want either one. Murray was responsible for both by the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad