Kane Traded to San Jose: 2019 First Round Pick, Cond. 2020 4th Rounder, Daniel O'Regan F

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Maybe, but it's also how you stock a pipeline. Almost all of the impact players on the current team are under 24, so our Cup window should run nice and long if we get the right pieces together.

I don't disagree, but you can say "stock a pipeline" in reference to any draft pick, since outside of the top 3 picks and extreme luck in the draft, every player usually has a 2-5 year gestation time. Adding 2 year or so to that is not adding value.

My point is that even if people want to be excited because of 'unprotected lottery' possibilities, the delayed pick is probably considered less valuable as an asset then the immediate known pick.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I don't disagree, but you can say "stock a pipeline" in reference to any draft pick, since outside of the top 3 picks and extreme luck in the draft, every player usually has a 2-5 year gestation time. Adding 2 year or so to that is not adding value.

My point is that even if people want to be excited because of 'unprotected lottery' possibilities, the delayed pick is probably considered less valuable as an asset then the immediate known pick.
I prefer to think of it as Buffalo winning the 2020 Stanley Cup and getting 1st overall from the San Jose pick almost simultaneously. :)

Reactions: Ralonzo

Baccus

Feb 18, 2014
He was making 5+ already and coming off a good year/playoffs and is only 26/27.

I mean people can't think it's that out of whack...he's a UFA.

I can't say I would want to give him that contract, but I also think it's in line with what he'd get on July 1st from somebody else. Percentage wise I think it's still in line with his last one with the Cap going up.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I can't say I would want to give him that contract, but I also think it's in line with what he'd get on July 1st from somebody else.

Yeah, as a percentage of cap upon signing, it's almost the same % as what he got on that last deal. UFA's get paid and then there are regrets later. The number of no regrets high-profile UFA's over the years probably can be counted on one hand.

Last edited:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I really can't understand how SJ can rationalize this. I've been trying to think of the words, and I just can't come up with them. Just so very dumb on every level.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

I can't say I would want to give him that contract, but I also think it's in line with what he'd get on July 1st from somebody else. Percentage wise I think it's still in line with his last one with the Cap going up.
The years is actually what I'm shocked about. $6 million AAV was about the cap hit I predicted. I didn't think he would get that many years with his history.

Baccus

Feb 18, 2014
The years is actually what I'm shocked about. $6 million AAV was about the cap hit I predicted. I didn't think he would get that many years with his history.

Yeah but the recent 6x6 contracts have been to players that were about 28 when signing. So cap inflation/increasing plus his 2 year younger age = longer term. I think he was eligible for 8 years since he was on the team for the roster freeze, so they didn't go as far as they could. Which is always better for the team I think, once a player will be past 30.

Reactions: Chainshot

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
There's nothing surprising about the dollar figure or term. The trade restrictions are a little generous, but then again, they got it done in May. I think that was the incentive to keep him from talking to other teams and help them plan their draft and ufa strategy.

It'll likely end up being more than he's worth, but that's the expectation here.

Baccus

Feb 18, 2014

Though I can't say Buffalo is anything like Winnipeg as far as requiring him outside of actual salary etc, but who the hell knows.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
And some people around here think the O’Rielly deal is bad.....

Can’t believe any team would give him 7 million a year with all the baggage and tendencies to disappear for long stretches.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
And some people around here think the O’Rielly deal is bad.....

Can’t believe any team would give him 7 million a year with all the baggage and tendencies to disappear for long stretches.
It's pretty mind boggling. If you look at the trade deadline, Botts basically told us that nobody wanted him, it's hard to believe he would have gotten this much on the open market. I like Kane, but 7 mil per year for a player who has no hockey IQ, is hurt literally every year, and possesses almost no play making skill at all is pretty incredible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad