Kaleta hit on Richards: Suspension or not? UPDATE: Suspended 5 Games

Tikkanese

Dec 6, 2006
New York
Does it rub anyone else the wrong way how unapologetic Shanahan is for using injury as criteria? He's a former player too. I don't understand why a less dangerous play may get more games because the player happened to hurt himself. Stupid. No reasoning behind it.

Absolutely. It is completely the wrong way to attempt to change behavior, which should focus on the cause, not the effect.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
STOKED i was wrong. I figured when they didnt give anything for the hit on Ryan McDonagh where he clearly left his feet and boarded this wouldnt get much of anything either.

Bardof425*

Don't bet on it. Look how many media members and fans fell for the PR propoganda about Cooke being a "changed man."

All Kaleta has to do is say the right things while looking like a lost puppy to the cameras and 99% of the people out there will bend over backwards to forgive him.

Look at Ray Lewis

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Another guy who plays with no respect for his fellow players

this is exactly what kills me. people say a hit's legal or not. they say 'he had his head down...he had it coming'. it's simple to me. you have respect for your fellow players or you dont. these guys know exactly how to hurt other players. they know what's dangerous and what's not. the fact is, there are some guys who look to hurt other players. they spend a whole shift looking for an opponent with their head down. they're hoping to plow someone over...why? change momentum...get on sportscenter....whatever. but it's totally ****edup. and this is why the players need to police themselves. relying on the refs is ********. oftentimes the hits are 'legal' but the intention is totally ****ed. this is where a team needs to step up. assuming shanahan or kerry fraser will sort it, is not happening. most teams have a headhunter...the rangers dont. that's fine...but they need to man up and neutralize the headhunters. ever notice how...every so often...the rangers play a team like tampa who don't have a single dirty player (as far as i can see). the rangers do great...the game is fun and respectful...it's a breath of fresh air. (not just cuz the rangers win :) ...a well-fought clean loss doesn't make me sick actually...it's when the rangers get run all over the ice and physically beaten that i can't sleep. anyhow...end of rant.

SupersonicMonkey*

I agree with everything you say here, except the bolded part. I hope its just worded poorly... otherwise wtf? This is hockey, it is a contact sport. I want to get rid of headshots just as much as anyone; but telling players they can't hit other players who have their head down is beyond dumb. You put your head down, expect to get leveled.

Just because it's a contact sport, doesn't mean integrity has to fly out the window.

Chances are, if a player's head is down, they're in a vulnerable spot, and the result of the hit is usually injury.

The point of 'checking' a player is to separate opponents from the puck, and to keep them out of the developing play. It's NOT to injure them.

The problem is a lack of respect for opponents. You want to play them hard, but you want to do it with integrity.

If you disagree, perhaps contact sports are not for you. Intentionally hurting another person on a playing surface is no different then doing it in the street.

Play hard and do it right.

This is what we want to see?

No. It is not. Clear intent to exploit a vulnerable player, and intent to injure.

This is what we want to see.

Clean, no intent to injure, face to face, separate the player from the puck.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Just because it's a contact sport, doesn't mean integrity has to fly out the window.

Chances are, if a player's head is down, they're in a vulnerable spot, and the result of the hit is usually injury.

The point of 'checking' a player is to separate opponents from the puck, and to keep them out of the developing play. It's NOT to injure them.

The problem is a lack of respect for opponents. You want to play them hard, but you want to do it with integrity.

If you disagree, perhaps contact sports are not for you. Intentionally hurting another person on a playing surface is no different then doing it in the street.

Play hard and do it right.

This is what we want to see?

No. It is not. Clear intent to exploit a vulnerable player, and intent to injure.

This is what we want to see.

Clean, no intent to injure, face to face, separate the player from the puck.

great post. this is what i was trying to say except you said it much more clearly.

RUSF18

Nov 10, 2010
Pretty sure I took a year off my life by reading the main boards on this hit. What the hell is wrong with me? Never again.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
...and IF that happened... Kaleta would've gotten 8 games.

Don't know if you're trying to prove something to me or what. Since Richards is questionable now, it makes you wonder. Had the results been worse, Kaleta would've gotten much more than 5 games. Understand that the punishments must set an example. It could've been MUCH worse had Richards not turned his head to the side while smashing the boards.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
the simple fact is this...if kaleta had gotten punched repeatedly in the face...ragdolled...the first time he tried to injure a fellow human...he wouldn't do it again.
unfortunately, the league bit off more than it could chew. punished retaliation heavier than instigation. told the players - in essence - we'll protect you with rules...too bad, that doesn't work. obviously.

turcotte8

Feb 15, 2008
NY
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

I'm told Brad Richards is very stiff and sore and most definitely won't play tonight.

The acting continues! :naughty:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
the simple fact is this...if kaleta had gotten punched repeatedly in the face...ragdolled...the first time he tried to injure a fellow human...he wouldn't do it again.
unfortunately, the league bit off more than it could chew. punished retaliation heavier than instigation. told the players - in essence - we'll protect you with rules...too bad, that doesn't work. obviously.

You should look up the words "Kaleta" and "turtle" on YouTube. He has a history of dishing out cheap shots only to get pummeled while he doesn't fight back. That's his what he does and he's effective at it. However, he's another one of these guys that can't walk the line between being a pest/agitator and making dangerous plays.

I remember a few years ago he put a high hit on Mara that I believe broke Mara's orbital bone. Once another Ranger stepped in, Kaleta hit the deck and turtled.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
You should look up the words "Kaleta" and "turtle" on YouTube. He has a history of dishing out cheap shots only to get pummeled while he doesn't fight back. That's his what he does and he's effective at it. However, he's another one of these guys that can't walk the line between being a pest/agitator and making dangerous plays.

I remember a few years ago he put a high hit on Mara that I believe broke Mara's orbital bone. Once another Ranger stepped in, Kaleta hit the deck and turtled.

i hear ya. but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
That's why the biased head disciplinarian suspended Hagelin in the playoffs, didn't suspend Carkner (I believe it was Carkner) for jumping Boyle, and didn't suspend Pacioretty after boarding McDonagh. Biased for sure. :shakehead

In your mind, what is the motive for the league to be biased against the Rangers?

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
I'm sure you know I'm no ranger fan but that hit on Richards was unbelievable...That hit is the very reason why people get called for hits from behind so often. Made me sick and from the look of it could have seriously injured Richards (Life altering, not just career threatening). Thankfully Richards is ok health-wise.

I played hockey myself, would not consider myself an enforcer in any way but I would defend my teammates. If someone took a cheap shot like that at my #1 center and he pulled that "turtle" nonsense afterward....I would look directly at (In this case) Vanek and Pommenville and let them know...What's gonna happen to you two is because of this P*****. Just my 2 cents.

That said....We'll see you thursday so I hope Richards stays out 1 more game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad