Kaleta hit on Richards: Suspension or not? UPDATE: Suspended 5 Games

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Kaleta will likely get 4 or 5 games. In this video, Kaleta clearly and intentionally directs Richards head first into the boards. A swift and firm sanction from the NHL disciplinary committee should be--if you pardon the expression--a no-brainer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmXOjTMjN_4

That said, the infraction wasn't substantially different than this recent hit by Mike Brown on Josh Gorges:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-G1RjEQop8

Like Kaleta, Brown is no angel. Nonetheless he did not receive any sanction beyond the original 5 minute boarding major.

The NHL has always followed the strange policy that punishment should mirror the injury incurred rather than the act that caused it. Here's a play where Colton Orr tried--but failed--to annihilate Tomas Plekanec:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.a0zrNS08lxE

When he sees Plekanec is going to avoid contact, Colton Orr extends his knee --one of the most dangerous plays in hockey. Thanks in no small part to Plekanec's athleticism, there was no knee-on-knee collision...and no sanction. In the crazy world of NHL hockey, attemped murder is not a crime. To be punished, you have to finish the job.

Both Gorges and Richards were lucky to avoid serious injury. However, Richards is a high-profile player--and so vocal in his post-game comments that Shanahan will acquiesce and impose a suspension on Kaleta.

Undoubtedly he deserves it...but so did Orr and Brown.

Last edited:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
It was a stupid, reckless play, and he deserves to be punished. That said, he hit him so far away from the boards I honestly don't know that there was any intent to injure.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I wonder how many games he would get if Richards were paralyzed?

I get that, as in real life, the damage produced should affect severity of punishment.

But that "hit" has absolutely 0 business in the game. The NHL should make an example of a repeat offender but they won't.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
It was more of a stupid, reckless cross-check than a malicious one. I think he'll get a couple games for being a dumbass.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
\
That said, the infraction wasn't substantially different than this recent hit by Mike Brown on Josh Gorges:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-G1RjEQop8

You can't possibly be serious. Either you didn't see the Kaleta hit or you didn't watch the Brown hit.

The Brown hit was right on the boards. It was a bad hit, but Gorges was not hit and driven neck first into the boards.

The Richards hit was four or five feet off the boards. That is what makes that hit exponentially more dangerous than the Brown hit.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I guess I can post this here. Mckenzie was great last night. If anyone didn't see his tweets he was calling for a high number of games for Keleta and saying the hit on Ennis should'nt even be compared.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I think you are all setting yourself up for failure. I would be surprised if he gets anything outside of the game misconduct.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Its funny how it really is just a small shove and yet its one of the more dangerous things you can see. It's prob more dangerous than swinging away at the head. Those boards have zero give...your neck does unfortunately. But it really is just nothing more than a small push in the absolute wrong area and wrong time.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Should be the max of 5.

Also, the ref that was closest to the play didn't call it, the other guy did! Ridiculous. Both zebra's hands should have flown up instantly.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Hopefully Bickel jumps him during pre-game warm-ups and just beats the living crap out of him.

He would turtle instantly at the site of Bickel and just cause us more frustration.

I would love for him to have to answer the call on the ice, but realistically, I don't think our team would do a darn thing when they play against the Sabres next. Just like how I don't think they'll do a darn thing against Pachioretty when we play Mtl next.

Those two need to pay.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Hopefully Bickel jumps him during pre-game warm-ups and just beats the living crap out of him.

Agreed! I want him back for that game, he needs to be held accountable on the ice! It will be very discouraging and a telling sign if someone does not attempt to make him pay the price.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He would turtle instantly at the site of Bickel and just cause us more frustration.

I would love for him to have to answer the call on the ice, but realistically, I don't think our team would do a darn thing when they play against the Sabres next. Just like how I don't think they'll do a darn thing against Pachioretty when we play Mtl next.

Those two need to pay.

That's why I want him to just jump him pre-game. Catch him by surprise.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Even if it was a normal hockey play that ended up wrong you never want to see anyone get into a position where they could be potentially crippled. For Kaleta to acknowledge that he put his team down with a bad penalty, but not say anything to Richards in apology is downright disgusting to me and should warrant an extra game from Shanny.

Part of the issue in this league is lack of respect. The head shots and plays like this. If players complain about the heat of the moment and how quick something can happen on the ice and are able to use that as an excuse, fine, but players need to be accountable for their actions several hours after the game and understand it was a dangerous play, feel remorse, and extend some kind of simple public apology at the minimum. To not do that, shows utter disrespect and to me - that's classless and its the exact type of attitude that leads to more concussions and cheap plays like this one.

I hope Shanny comes down hard on him (even if its for being a gigantic dick), and I hope that he takes into account that it happened on a PP when players are less prepared to be hit above the circles. Its a fact of the game. There are areas and times on the ice when you are suspecting to get hit, like when McDonagh got hit in Montreal. This was totally uncalled for. Crosschecking a guy in the lower back 5 feet from the half boards isn't your job on the PK, let alone anytime.

What will he get? 2 games probably. What he deserves? 10+ IMO. If you really want to do something about the safety of the players...

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
It was more of a stupid, reckless cross-check than a malicious one. I think he'll get a couple games for being a dumbass.

This is Kaleta we're talking about. The only bigger ******* in the NHL is Matt Cooke. He's more than a dumbass. He not only concussed Paul Mara with an elbow to the head, he taunted him about it afterward. Bobby Mac is right...this clown deserves a bigger punishment.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
This is Kaleta we're talking about. The only bigger ******* in the NHL is Matt Cooke. He's than a dumbass. He not only concussed Paul Mara with an elbow to the head, he taunted him about it afterward. Bobby Mac is right...this clown deserves a bigger punishment.

As I said -- I hope he is taken out of the league for good. Hope we can make up a new saying -- where we can turn his getting Marchment'd into his getting Kaleta'd. The scum **** needs to be removed from this game no matter what it takes.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If the NHL is serious about getting these types of dumb plays out of the game they need to start making statements. These are the guys you make statements with.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
The idiots and the Kaleta's, Matt Cooke's and Torres's have to be taken out of the game for good. They do nothing but go looking for injury out there.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast

Those two need to pay.

The Kaletta hit was infinitely worse than the MaxPac hit.
Kaletta may well turtle, I'd expect nothing less. Regardless the message needs to be sent!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad