Kaleta hit on Richards: Suspension or not? UPDATE: Suspended 5 Games

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Deserved anyhow. A bit is caused by his rep, but that was the same with Avery and Cooke and anyone else like that. Stuff like these dirty hits/possible injury causers need to be dealt with strongly, more so than before.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Deserved anyhow. A bit is caused by his rep, but that was the same with Avery and Cooke and anyone else like that. Stuff like these dirty hits/possible injury causers need to be dealt with strongly, more so than before.

Avery only ran his mouth. That doesn't mean he didn't have a rep but some fans would lump him with Kaleta and Cooke and that's just wrong, or at least was wrong.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Avery only ran his mouth. That doesn't mean he didn't have a rep but some fans would lump him with Kaleta and Cooke and that's just wrong, or at least was wrong.

Meant a general lumping of reps, sorry for not being clear. It is sad to say that the players develop a rep to be a dirty guy though.

SupersonicMonkey*

5 games is not enough.

The league wants to put an end to these reckless, dangerous plays?

Stop slapping the wrist, make a real statement. Suspend this guy for the season, take the remainder of his season's pay.

Plain and simple.

See the numbers on the back? DO NOT HIT.
See player's head down? DO NOT HIT.

Keep your stick down.

Keep your feet on the ice if you can.

Wear the available protection.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Does it rub anyone else the wrong way how unapologetic Shanahan is for using injury as criteria? He's a former player too. I don't understand why a less dangerous play may get more games because the player happened to hurt himself. Stupid. No reasoning behind it.

*Bob Richards*

Does it rub anyone else the wrong way how unapologetic Shanahan is for using injury as criteria? He's a former player too. I don't understand why a less dangerous play may get more games because the player happened to hurt himself. Stupid. No reasoning behind it.

The whole system needs an overhaul. I remember many of us ripping it apart for the "injury criteria" during the series against the Senators.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
The whole system needs an overhaul. I remember many of us ripping it apart for the "injury criteria" during the series against the Senators.

I honestly think they mark stairs with suspension amounts, fines, etc. And roll a slinky down the stairs and wherever it stops is the one given out.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
5 games is not enough.

The league wants to put an end to these reckless, dangerous plays?

Stop slapping the wrist, make a real statement. Suspend this guy for the season, take the remainder of his season's pay.

Plain and simple.

See the numbers on the back? DO NOT HIT.
See player's head down? DO NOT HIT.

Keep your stick down.

Keep your feet on the ice if you can.

Wear the available protection.

I agree with everything you say here, except the bolded part. I hope its just worded poorly... otherwise wtf? This is hockey, it is a contact sport. I want to get rid of headshots just as much as anyone; but telling players they can't hit other players who have their head down is beyond dumb. You put your head down, expect to get leveled.

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007
Yes, he definitely deserved to be suspended because even though it was the slightest little push tiniest of a push, Richards was in the exact position and leaning the exact way that i little tiny pushed would forced his momentum into the boards.

That said, ten games he should have gotten for stupidity, but this is a pretty clear case of carelessness, and not a case of "intent to injure" unless kaleta is a physicist, he did not realize how devistating that little push could have been. He should have realized however, that 4-5 feet away from the board is a danger area to hit any unsuspecting player from behind.

weird though, in the slo-mo, it almost looked like he was on his way to really crush him, but actually let up a little bit, and instead just decided to give him a shove to let him know that he was there, and that shove ended up being worse then if he would have drilled him.

Strange play, nothing that even is close to this should be allowed in the NHL, and if Shanahan really wants it out of the game, he would have done something (even just a fine) about the other hit in the game too. Both were hits from behind.

BOTH hits should have been punished, and any fan should see this. Glad that Richards and Ennis are both OK, both are exciting players to watch.

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007
And once again, we see the NHL has no bias against the Rangers, despite the claims of some.

Really? If I controlled the NHL and I had a bias against the rangers, then why would I put a former ranger as the head of disciplinary rulings. There was no alterior motives in favor or against this ruling, 5 games was fair for Kaleta's stupidity.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Really? If I controlled the NHL and I had a bias against the rangers, then why would I put a former ranger as the head of disciplinary rulings. There was no alterior motives in favor or against this ruling, 5 games was fair for Kaleta's stupidity.

Surss? He played for NJ and Detroit too. Not saying there's a bias but just saying.

*Bob Richards*

I think you need to re-read his post.

Anyway, I think the whole "everyone against us" conspiracy spreads to every team but Pittsburgh.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

That's exactly what they want you to think. :sarcasm:

Jan 8, 2012
NY
HAHAHA. Girardi's hit wasn't even on the same planet as Kaleta's. Ennis the Midget turned at the last second. And did I mention him being a midget? A two minute boarding call was well deserved, nothing more. Are we gonna punish Sekera's hit on Girardi in the 1st period too? How about Bickel's "late" hit in the first? Kaleta's play could have ended VERY badly for Richards.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
HAHAHA. Girardi's hit wasn't even on the same planet as Kaleta's. Ennis the Midget turned at the last second. And did I mention him being a midget? A two minute boarding call was well deserved, nothing more. Are we gonna punish Sekera's hit on Girardi in the 1st period too? How about Bickel's "late" hit in the first? Kaleta's play could have ended VERY badly for Richards.

No one seems to understand physics either, that the way he fell onto the boards could've broken his neck.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

That's why the biased head disciplinarian suspended Hagelin in the playoffs, didn't suspend Carkner (I believe it was Carkner) for jumping Boyle, and didn't suspend Pacioretty after boarding McDonagh. Biased for sure. :shakehead

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Still people on the main section on this site claims that Brad sold it "too good"....

There's no cure for stupid...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad