Kakko has worst +/- of all NHL rookies

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
If you can show me proof about how my choice of words don't fit the demographic, I will gladly change it but as far as I know this site has 97-98% men on it.
What the hell...are you telling me I’m not gonna get laid for my likes to post ratio?!

I’m done guys, I’m done trying to make you guys smile.

Reactions: NinjaKick

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Kakko is still struggling and has been slower to pick up the pace in comparison to Hughes but I expect him to be able to mount a decent race for the rookie title, however he only has roughly 5 more games for this bullshit level he's been at so far. We'll see how he adapts

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Talk about a fail thread by the OP :laugh:

A fail thread for me, means Kakko is doing well, which is a win. If you look at my post history you will see I asked if Kakko would top 100 points like Sid and Ovi so I obviously want him to do that.

I'm not some Hughes fan that wants to discredit Kakko.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
If you can show me proof about how my choice of words don't fit the demographic, I will gladly change it but as far as I know this site has 97-98% men on it.
Not at all the point I was making; nothing to do with gender or demographics. It was more how you implicated other posters part of the anti-Ovechkin +/- illuminati because they think +/- is a bad stat.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
+/- is a meaningless stat

now you try to imply it means something for a ROOKIE on a SUBPAR TEAM.

pathetic thread

It means that his team is getting bent over when he's on the ice, assuming it's not largely because of ENG's and shorties (they do need to fix the stat to not include those types of goals.)
It's kind of a 'starting point' stat. Hey look, team is getting awful results when this guy plays, lets look deeper to find out why.

Governor

Nov 8, 2019
Kakko has moments when he looks good, and moments when he looks underwhelming. There are usually two things I notice every game I watch: 1) He is really slow, and needs to work on his foot speed. 2) He is quite strong for a young kid.

I think given time, he can turn out to be a good player; but he absolutely needs to work on his overall speed on the ice.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Another thread where plus/minus is right in the title, when if you use plus/minus in any other argument on this board you rightfully get torn up.

Makes it seem like an agenda thread before you even start.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
It's not like +/-, especially in comparison to teammates, doesn't mean anything. Sure it depends on player's usage as well as his ability but it's not like the stat can't tell us something.
Yes but most people would think it shows bad defense when it just shows bad es production.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
These graphs from HockeyViz do a pretty good job of illustrating where a player is struggling or excelling.

NYR 1920 Kakko Replacements

As you can see by that big blue cluster near the bottom, the biggest area he seems to be having problems is defensively/with the speed of the game right now. (Whoever he is on the ice with gives up drastically more shot attempts against than when playing without him) He's obviously struggling right now, but that's not exactly out of the ordinary for an 18 year old rookie. (Especially ones still getting the hang of a new language)

If the numbers are still like that come the new year, then it might be time to take the lid off the panic button, but not this early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad