Kakko has worst +/- of all NHL rookies

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Dead last among rookies at -11. What to make of this? Rangers have Ryan Strome who is +4 so it's not like whole team is this way.

He struggled out of the gate. He looked slow and his line kept getting hemmed into their zone. He has adjusted the last few games and now looks like one of the better players on the ice. The kid has a steep learning curve. I imagine the +/- situation to be rectified as the season progresses.

Reactions: The Pale King

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
Rookies at least have an excuse for poor +/-. Players getting paid $10 million like Brent Burns and Erik Karlsson are currently on the same number as Kakko, so I don't think there's too much to make out of that number.

Reactions: Koijari

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Remember a week ago when people were ****ting on Hughes cause he didnt have a goal in his first week and now he has 7. lol

Hughes has 3 G, 4 A = 7 points, and all three of his goals are PP goals.

Kakko has 3 G, 2 A = 5 points, with 1 PP goal.

I'd be careful gloating right now. Hughes is showing obvious skill but he's very much a WIP still.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
The Rangers as a whole are pretty much bottom of the league in that stat. For comparison, Kreider is at 33%, Zibanejad is at 37%. I wouldn't read into it too much.
Kakko's isolated xg impact is the worst in the league by rapm. This takes in account teammates, competition, deployment and more.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Is this the stat that has 3 Rangers in the bottom 4 or a different one?
Bottom four in xG+/60 is:
Kaapo Kakko -0.443
Nikita Gusev -0.377
Libor Hajek -0.36
Chris Kreider -0.356

So yes 3/4 of the bottom 4 is made up of Rangers. He certainly have struggled this season. Kakko shown flashes of being a very skill player but he just haven't found his groove yet. Kakko is also currently last for GAR.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Crosby was -4 over his first 12 games.
Sakic was -5 over his first 12.
Heatley was -6 over his first 12.
Rick Nash and Vinny Lecavalier were -7 over their first 12.
Ziggy Palffy was -8 over his first 12.
Joe Thornton was -8 in his first 21 games, recording 0 points.

Can you imagine HFBoards today if a number 1 pick took 21 games to record their first point? For an O6 franchise, no less?

I think Kakko is going to be just fine.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
One day people will stop looking at plus/minus, one day...
It's not like +/-, especially in comparison to teammates, doesn't mean anything. Sure it depends on player's usage as well as his ability but it's not like the stat can't tell us something.

Reactions: byrath

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad