Kakko has worst +/- of all NHL rookies

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
I am able to focus on more than just one player, thanks though. There is no need to be personal, screams inferiority complex to me.

Kakko is playing horrible, his skating is terribad and his shooting is underwhelming. He is the one dragging his own teammates down, not the other way around. And the stats back that up. Same as Gusev for the Devils but worse.

Kakko is one guy who would benefit a lot if he played in the AHL. Get used to NA ice but actually being able to compete. Same as Rantanen.
Thanks for the concern. Much appreciated! Anyways, our concern as Ranger fans was he wasn’t NHL ready. Well the last 3-4 games he’s looked great so I’m not quite sure exactly what you’re going on about. Thanks for the advice though what the Rangers should do with their team!

illpucks

May 26, 2011

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Oh please you guys have used +/- when it is convinient to **** on Ovechkin. When it's not convinient like when Mario Lemieux gets the exact same bad +/- you say it's meaningless.

Using +/- as a judgemental factor on a EU rookie adjusting to the league is kinda ridicilous and low, yes. You should know the last 4-5 games his defensive play has improved ALOT, his offence is picking up nicely too.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Oh please you guys have used +/- when it is convinient to **** on Ovechkin. When it's not convinient like when Mario Lemieux gets the exact same bad +/- you say it's meaningless.

I guarantee I’ve never bought up +\- while referencing Ovechkin before.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
5-1 Rangers win, and he wasn't a plus player

Did you watch the game? Clearly not. What the frick is your point with this comment? I love how so many here love giving him shit for his struggles in the beginning but those same posters don't mention jack shit on what he has done good. He's been great the last 4 games. Give it a rest already lol.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Did you watch the game? Clearly not. What the frick is your point with this comment? I love how so many here love giving him **** for his struggles in the beginning but those same posters don't mention jack **** on what he has done good. He's been great the last 4 games. Give it a rest already lol.

I mean I wanted Kakko to get 100 points this season. So he is disappointing me so far.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
One day people will stop looking at plus/minus, one day...
It’s a perfectly fine stat when used properly. It’s meaningless as a raw number and has to be looked at in appropriate context.

The OP is not using it correctly btw.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012

3 of the 5 goals the Rangers scored were Special Teams...

Kakko's deployment has been pretty unfavorable: 33% ZSR, nobody from his draft class is below 50%. That definitely plays into it...that and he was flat out abused by the Bergeron line a couple of weeks ago.

+/- is stupid anyway

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’ve done a superficial look & he is struggling to be fair.

The Rangers goal diff is -1, they a 10gf/10ga on the pp and have 3 SHGF, 1 SHGA. He’s -11 and next two players are -6 and -4. I’ve not bothered finding out who he normally plays with but there’s going to be a significant differential either way. Strome seems involved on most of his points and he’s +5. Even without looking at zone starts (I see someone has) the +/- is starting to tell us something more meaningful.

However, he’s a rookie and only a short way into his career. He will figure it out. I’m not on the kid, it more about how to use +/- properly.

bondra

Jan 18, 2019
I am able to focus on more than just one player, thanks though. There is no need to be personal, screams inferiority complex to me.

Kakko is playing horrible, his skating is terribad and his shooting is underwhelming. He is the one dragging his own teammates down, not the other way around. And the stats back that up. Same as Gusev for the Devils but worse.

Kakko is one guy who would benefit a lot if he played in the AHL. Get used to NA ice but actually being able to compete. Same as Rantanen.

Yes Kakko isnt fastest skater, he needs to improve that but his strenght on puck replaces it quite well. He has made amazing offensive zone entries this season and its because his honestly already one of the NHL best players staying on the puck and protecting it. Sometimes maybe too much.

Kakko has never been good shooter, pretty average. Maybe your exceptations about him was little bit too high?

Everybody has their weaknesses except JaCk HugHes.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The kid will be fine.

We really have to learn not to judge young players. Especially kids still under the drinking age.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
"you guys" is a really broad brush to use for all 116,605 other HFBoards users.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Well 2 of the ranger goals were on the power play and one of them was a shorthanded goal (and Kakko obviously wasn't a part of). The last goal was an empty netter so I am not really sure what point you are trying to make here...

illpucks

May 26, 2011
"you guys" is a really broad brush to use for all 116,605 other HFBoards users.
If you can show me proof about how my choice of words don't fit the demographic, I will gladly change it but as far as I know this site has 97-98% men on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad