Confirmed with Link: Kadri Suspended 3 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Nothing says "true Leafs fan" like rubbing your hands together with glee when one of their players gets suspended. Among the true haters, love watching the tightrope walk between "he cost us the series with his selfishness" and "doesn't make a difference, he doesn't do anything anyway."
There's Leafs fans and then there's opinion homers. A few of them on this board, and they're not hard to pick out.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I might be the only one to hold this opinion but I honestly don't mind what Kadri did. He stood up for Marner and tried to clean out the player that got an elbow shot in on him. He got unlucky because the Bruins player fell otherwise we probably would've saw a clean hit and a fight afterwards.

I appreciate what he tried to do here and I'm alright with the 3 games suspension. The series isn't over by any means and Naz will come back with a massive chip on his shoulder trying to prove himself and makeup for his mistake. Playoff hockey is always played on the line and things get out of line sometimes. If this exact same play was to happen even 5-6 years ago, you know what? It's probably a non-issue. I've seen hits way worse in my time as a Leafs fan and as a hockey fan. Playoff hockey is all about playing on the edge and at times going over it.

Before Naz took things into his own hands, he was hit from behind twice in the game and he was the only one to be penalised for a hit from behind play where it was a "soft" call. I can understand his frustration and wanting to police the game himself because the refs were clearly not remotely consistent up until that point.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I might be the only one to hold this opinion but I honestly don't mind what Kadri did. He stood up for Marner and tried to clean out the player that got an elbow shot in on him. He got unlucky because the Bruins player fell otherwise we probably would've saw a clean hit and a fight afterwards.

I appreciate what he tried to do here and I'm alright with the 3 games suspension. The series isn't over by any means and Naz will come back with a massive chip on his shoulder trying to prove himself and makeup for his mistake. Playoff hockey is always played on the line and things get out of line sometimes. If this exact same play was to happen even 5-6 years ago, you know what? It's probably a non-issue. I've seen hits way worse in my time as a Leafs fan and as a hockey fan. Playoff hockey is all about playing on the edge and at times going over it.

Before Naz took things into his own hands, he was hit from behind twice in the game and he was the only one to be penalised for a hit from behind play where it was a "soft" call. I can understand his frustration and wanting to police the game himself because the refs were clearly not remotely consistent up until that point.
Here here... if Wingels stays on his feet it’s not even an issue. Why was it on Kadri to let up? He committed to a play and the guy turtled. Sometimes shit happens in a contact sport that’s not necessarily anyone’s “fault”

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Here here... if Wingels stays on his feet it’s not even an issue. Why was it on Kadri to let up? He committed to a play and the guy turtled. Sometimes **** happens in a contact sport that’s not necessarily anyone’s “fault”
Yep. The league has gone really soft. If they are trying to save players from injuries and trauma, they really need to crack down on all aspects of the game and ref fairly and consistently. Otherwise, put away the damn whistle and let the boys play.

So far having watched every series at least one game this year, Leafs/ Bruins and Pens/ Flyers have been dominated by the refs. Every series out west seems to be a blood bath. The refs in the eastern games need to relax and let the players decide the games. Fans don't pay to come to an NHL playoff game just so they can watch the zebras run the show.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

As an isolated incident, what Kadri did was reckless and hot-headed.

This happens to be one of the very few hits like that where context makes a difference though. The officiating was an absolute joke, that game got way out of hand and the Bruins were cheap-shotting the Leafs at every turn with no intervention whatsoever from the officials. With Wingels coming in with a leading elbow on Marner, Kadri probably had enough of the garbage and decided to fight fire with fire. But yeah, suddenly the refs needed to intervene despite ignoring everything prior to it.

@Pookie, not once have I seen you bring up any of this context. You just continue being dishonest with your little tirade against Kadri. You're not here to have any reasonable discussion.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017

This happens to be one of the very few hits like that where context makes a difference though. The officiating was an absolute joke, that game got way out of hand and the Bruins were cheap-shotting the Leafs at every turn with no intervention whatsoever from the officials. With Wingels coming in with a leading elbow on Marner, Kadri probably had enough of the garbage and decided to fight fire with fire. But yeah, suddenly the refs needed to intervene despite ignoring everything prior to it.

@Pookie, not once have I seen you bring up any of this context. You just continue being dishonest with your little tirade against Kadri. You're not here to have any reasonable discussion.
The Bruins had 0 intentions of playing the puck everytime the Leafs had it in their O-zone. There were a ton of plays that could've been called for interference on the Bruins but it's "playoff" hockey. Yet a one handed tap from 8 feet away by JVR gets called for slashing... Okay.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Kadri cost us the series. We wouldn't have been blown out by 4 goals each game if he'd been here. Maybe we would have even won a game with the goaltending, defense, and PK acting like sieves.

Fact is that his being out of the line up hurts us but the real issue is that we're giving up far too many goals. That comes down to our defense and our goaltending.

I'd say a lot of it has to do with playing scared. JVR, even if he's not been too impactful this series, is still playing physical. On the other hand, guys like Nylander and Matthews are learning each game how to make more space for themselves. Then there's Kapanen, a player whose game seems to have stayed the course.

If Kadri had gotten a solid check on Wingels, a legal check that hurts, he would've shifted a lot of our players' mindsets away from playing scared. Incidentally, many of the Bruins forwards are smaller guys but as the series had shown us, they're not playing scared.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daisy Jane

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It’s as if naz “pookied” that posters gf/wife/sister or something. It’s really weird watching a supposed “fan” have such a hate on for such a quality player of the team he follows

It's not weird for me any more because it's been years now so I'm used to it. Now it's just sad. I just find it so strange as I support every single player on our team and I always have. He on the other hand loves to say how it's the crest on the front that matters, not the name on the back but his posts prove that for him, the opposite is true - when it comes to this one player, he's obsessed with putting him down.

Funny thing is that when it comes to Kadri, he's been pretty much been wrong about everything. Like literally every single thing he's said has been wrong. :laugh:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's not weird for me any more because it's been years now so I'm used to it. Now it's just sad. I just find it so strange as I support every single player on our team and I always have. He on the other hand loves to say how it's the crest on the front that matters, not the name on the back but his posts prove that for him, the opposite is true - when it comes to this one player, he's obsessed with putting him down.

Funny thing is that when it comes to Kadri, he's been pretty much been wrong about everything. Like literally every single thing he's said has been wrong. :laugh:
I have my theories about it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Dude, I’ve discussed the context of the hit over and over.

Your justification for a head shot is pure garbage. You lose any credibility to speak out against anything Marchand may do in the future.

Not surprising you can’t see it through unbiased eyes. And the fan club is here again. Doing their thing.

Fun times.

Got a Claude Lemieux jersey?

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Dude, I’ve discussed the context of the hit over and over.

Your justification for a head shot is pure garbage. You lose any credibility to speak out against anything Marchand may do for the rest of the series.

In the end, whether it was the missed knee on knee or the head shot, the player bears all the responsibility for his gutless action.

The fact he’s a Leaf doesn’t matter to me. It didn’t matter when Domi did it.

I don’t defend the Marchands, Kadris or Claude Lemieuxs of the world.

Sad that you do.

You just love calling Kadri gutless don't you? Sad.

The guy is constantly targeted by other teams and has sacrificed his body for the good of the team. Except for a couple of isolated incidents when he has lost his head he has embodied what it means to have heart and if more of our players had half the guts that Kadri has, we wouldn't have been blown our the first two games the way we were.

I'm behind all the players who wear the Maple Leaf on the front of their sweater. Go Leafs Go!

Maple Leafs forever!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You just love calling Kadri gutless don't you? Sad.

The guy is constantly targeted by other teams and has sacrificed his body for the good of the team. Except for a couple of isolated incidents when he has lost his head he has embodied what it means to have heart and if more of our players had half the guts that Kadri has, we wouldn't have been blown our the first two games the way we were.

I'm behind all the players who wear the Maple Leaf on the front of their sweater. Go Leafs Go!

Maple Leafs forever!

A couple of isolated incidents? You mean 4 suspensions all for targeting of the head?

All for it, eh Gary?

Classy.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
A couple of isolated incidents? You mean 4 suspensions all for targeting of the head?

All for it, eh Gary?

Classy.

He's done a few dumb things, that doesn't make him gutless. Your posts on the subject have been anything but classy.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Thought you said bye bye?

We can talk about trading for a defenseman. Start the thread. I will follow YOU in.... it will be a nice change.
LOL LOL
That's the strangest set of opinions I've ever heard on a player.
Grrr, Grrr I'm so angry he was dam selfish and threw a dirty hit and was suspended (in a game the Leafs had already lost). Gutless, selfish player!!
Now the Leafs can't win the rest of the series because Kadri is suspended. Let's trade him!!!

Every one of his 60+ goals in the last 2 years must have been a little stab in the heart for you, no??

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
LOL LOL
That's the strangest set of opinions I've ever heard on a player.
Grrr, Grrr I'm so angry he was dam selfish and threw a dirty hit and was suspended (in a game the Leafs had already lost). Gutless, selfish player!!
Now the Leafs can't win the rest of the series because Kadri is suspended. Let's trade him!!!

Every one of his 60+ goals in the last 2 years must have been a little stab in the heart for you, no??

It would be strange if that’s what I actually said. Where did I say he cost us the series?

His performance over the last 2 years has been really good. I thought he cleaned up his act. Off the ice especially. Deserves all the accolades in the world for that.

But this incident? This is the 4th cheapshot aimed at the head that he was suspended for. This is what you want kids to look up to?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
He's done a few dumb things, that doesn't make him gutless. Your posts on the subject have been anything but classy.

Hitting a defenseless player? Ok Gary. Whatever you say.

Brad Marchand thanks you in advance for your support

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Instead of the talk about trading Kadri - because he's "gutless" (whatever that means), I'd imagine him missing would highlight how useful a player he is.
BTW perhaps I'm old school - I grew up watching hockey in the 80's, but I would think a player who throws an odd dirty hit when his team is getting the crap kicked out of it and his star player just got hit with a cheap shot isn't necessarily all that bad.
I recall Mark Messier once sucker punching Jamie Macoun and just about decapitating him. Don't recall all the "gutless" talk on that one.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Instead of the talk about trading Kadri - because he's "gutless" (whatever that means), I'd imagine him missing would highlight how useful a player he is.
BTW perhaps I'm old school - I grew up watching hockey in the 80's, but I would think a player who throws an odd dirty hit when his team is getting the crap kicked out of it and his star player just got hit with a cheap shot isn't necessarily all that bad.
I recall Mark Messier once sucker punching Jamie Macoun and just about decapitating him. Don't recall all the "gutless" talk on that one.

Were Kadri’s mitts glued on?

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
It would be strange if that’s what I actually said. Where did I say he cost us the series?

His performance over the last 2 years has been really good. I thought he cleaned up his act. Off the ice especially. Deserves all the accolades in the world for that.

But this incident? This is the 4th cheapshot aimed at the head that he was suspended for. This is what you want kids to look up to?
Are you interested in the dynamics of a hockey team ie comaraderie in the room or setting examples for kids? I'd suspect for Kadri it's the former.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Hitting a defenseless player? Ok Gary. Whatever you say.

Brad Marchand thanks you in advance for your support
BTW, seems odd you have zero recognition of the fact that the Bruins we're running around dominating physically and targeting Marner. Is it "gutless" to push back in that scenario?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Are you interested in the dynamics of a hockey team ie comaraderie in the room or setting examples for kids? I'd suspect for Kadri it's the former.

Why pivot to say it’s either or? Fans in Pittsburgh... some of them... liked Ulf Samuelson for the same logic Gary demonstrates.

I wouldn’t ever tell my kids to play like him. Would you?

What’s your deal anyways? You think the hit was clean? Didn’t deserve a suspension?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
BTW, seems odd you have zero recognition of the fact that the Bruins we're running around dominating physically and targeting Marner. Is it "gutless" to push back in that scenario?

Seems odd you want to target me in a thread without checking my post history.

Commented many, many times on the 2 minute elbow that could have been called.

And yes, it’s gutless to target the head of a defenseless player when you could drop the mitts.

End story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad