Confirmed with Link: Kadri Suspended 3 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Seems like you are picking the dog. I’m speaking about targeting the heads of defenseless players.

My stance doesn’t have an asterisk on it to exclude Leaf players.

You see defenseless player and I see predator. We just don't have the same vision.

Reactions: stickty111

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
:laugh: honestly folks. How much has this sport changed? You are being humiliated in a playoff game. A guys taking runs at your star offensive player who is a kid and very small.
Kadri takes revenge by jumping at that players head with a hit.
If that was Scott Stevens 15 years ago, he's a hero and plays on team Canada, he's the consummate team player. Im actually reading Leafs fans here who want to trade him for being "gutless" with that hit?? Do these fans have a personal agenda against him? Is the sport at that stage now where we are watching interpretive dance or something? How are people offended by this.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You see defenseless player and I see predator. We just don't have the same vision.
Dont mind him. He is just mad Kadri isnt a role player and is actually a core player for the team.
Interesting we lose 7-3 without this useless tire pumping for trade, hunting for heads player.

People cant admit that Kadri is a great player and a better person as well.
A certain poster has really been proven wrong the last 2 seasons by Kadri.

Kadri thread started? Engage passiveness aggressiveness biased against the player agenda. Then the Kadri thread gets closed as a result of that hijacking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keon1963

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I think everyone in the hockey world knows that 3 games was a brutal decision. Whether or not people admit it is another thing.

As I said after the game...

If Doughty gets 1 game for his hit, then Kadri's hit in comparison is:

1) worse/more reckless
2) a non-hockey play
3) against a completely defenseless player
4) with time to adjust/ease up
5) by a player who has a suspension history

Put all those together against the Doughty hit, and i was sure it would be 2-3, so no, not everyone in the hockey world knows.

Im reading a lot of blame being put at Wingels, the refs, and the league.

Im not reading enough people blaming Kadri. Thats a veteran player who lost his nerve and did something incredibly dangerous and stupid. He only has himself to blame

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
:laugh: honestly folks. How much has this sport changed? You are being humiliated in a playoff game. A guys taking runs at your star offensive player who is a kid and very small.
If that was Scott Stevens 15 years ago, he's a hero and plays on team Canada, he's the consummate team player. Im actually reading Leafs fans here who want to trade him for being "gutless" with that hit?? Do these fans have a personal agenda against him? Is the sport at that stage now where we are watching interpretive dance or something? How are people offended by this.

15 years ago is a long time ago. A lot has changed since then. People are much, MUCH more knowledgeable about injuries now than before. Heck even the players from back then are pissed off that hockey was played as dangerous as it was.
Over a 100 players have filed lawsuits against the NHL because they felt the NHL didn't care about player safety. 559 concussions were reported over a 7 year time-period in 2011. That's crazy. It's the fans that love the dangerous hits. You think players actually liked being targeted to the head 15 years ago?? They loved Scott Stevens dangerous hits because those type of hits were common and having someone on your own team that could do that better than the other team was great. There was no-one to stand up for the player rights. The NHL was a money-hungry league that didn't care about the safety of their own players. You think they would take away dirty hits from the fans that loved those hits? No way. That was a selling point of hockey. Everyone loved it, you and me both. Now? That's NOT the norm. You have the NHL players association fighting for the players. Former players from the 'dangerous' NHL eras fighting for the players. Heck even the dirty players from the 'dangerous' NHL eras fighting for the players. The NHL still is a money-hungry league, but now they're actually protecting their players instead of satisfying dirty-hit loving fans.

I love Kadri, I've been a fan of him since his draft year and probably been his strongest defender against haters over the years. But I hate him for this hit because:
1) He lowered our chances in the series big-time. I was hopeful that we could win on home-ice because of matchups but now who do we matchup against the Bergeron line at home? He's arguably the most important player on the team in the playoffs, because he's the guy who's supposed to shutdown the Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak line.
2) His intentions were great BUT that hit didn't change anything. Who's supposed to protect our stars now? Kadri is our tough skilled forward that can scare the opposition. If he WERE in the lineup, the Bruins would be scared waiting for his big hits like in the Washington series. But now who do we have to dish a big hit? A #6D Polak? A 4th liner Martin? You can put Kadri against the Bruin stars without worrying about him being a liability, but Martin/Polak you can't. We NEED Kadri to change the momentum.

I've moved on from the hit, but I feel like I see the 'Hockey is turning into dancing' comment a lot on these boards and felt I needed to address it.

Reactions: Pookie

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017

Fans that want him traded are being ridiculous. He is a huge part of the team. In saying that the game has changed. You can’t make those kind of hits anymore without serious consequences. I don’t have an issue with sending a message and getting rough, but just not like that. He ended up hurting the team in the long run.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
TBH I have mixed feelings on it. I think it deserves a suspension, not 3 games (which is like 6-7 in the regular season).
This is a contact sport, playoffs are war, always have been. If your team is getting pushed around in a huge game, someone has to push back or it sets the tone for the rest of the series. If you've ever played hockey you know that. So I'm somewhat ambivalent about the hit and if it makes sense.

BTW, if someone hits McDavid and the oilers are in the playoffs, I expect revenge and quickly. I could care less "what the kids would think". This isn't ballet. You play a sport to win and for the players in the room, not about protecting hypothetical children.

Yeah I'm not thrilled with what Kadri did and I definitely have mixed feelings as well. This "what would the kids think" narrative is hilarious though. :biglaugh:

I would make the argument that the Kadri hit are exactly the kind of hits the Bruins try to make on a routine basis. If Wingels hadn't slipped and fallen to his knees at the last moment there wasn't particularly anything special about the hit other than Kadri threw his weight at a guy who just plastered a teammate with an elbow while already pinned.

Backes, Nash, anybody would have made that hit. And honestly, if they connected on a Leaf and they got hurt, all the better.

Playoff hits are like the pitch count in baseball. It's an attrition game meant to break down the opponent over time.

This. If Wingels doesn't slip, there's nothing to even discuss. Just an unfortunate incident and bad luck for the Leafs. Good luck for one gleeful poster though I guess.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Fortunately, we don’t have the same vision.

Apparently you see things that aren’t there. And can’t see the “predator” in blue and white.

Since you haven’t replied to the question (in response to your statement) as to which Leaf player was injured, we conclude that no one was.

We do know Wingels was knocked out of the game and missed game 2.

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Mods, can we lock this one up?

No point in discussing this further. The one on the main boards has been locked for awhile now.

All that’s being said now are the usuals trying to pick a fight with nonsense.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Seems odd you want to target me in a thread without checking my post history.

Commented many, many times on the 2 minute elbow that could have been called.

And yes, it’s gutless to target the head of a defenseless player when you could drop the mitts.

End story.

..but he's our gutless player :)

It's interesting that Marner, who was tied up by a man who is double his weight and received an elbow to the head and the offending Boston player didn't even get the stink eye from the ref. There has long been a belief that Jacobs has considerable influence over the NHL and it is theorized that Boston tends to benefit on the ice from that influence.

I think anyone with a shred of intelligence can look at both plays independently (Wingles on Marner, Kadri on Wingles) and see punishments were worthy. I think that Wingles deserved a 5 because Marner was unable to defend himself due to being tied up by Chara. Kadri deserved a match and a game. In both cases IMO the NHL failed to pass out reasonable punishment.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
..but he's our gutless player :)

It's interesting that Marner, who was tied up by a man who is double his weight and received an elbow to the head and the offending Boston player didn't even get the stink eye from the ref. There has long been a belief that Jacobs has considerable influence over the NHL and it is theorized that Boston tends to benefit on the ice from that influence.

I think anyone with a shred of intelligence can look at both plays independently (Wingles on Marner, Kadri on Wingles) and see punishments were worthy. I think that Wingles deserved a 5 because Marner was unable to defend himself due to being tied up by Chara. Kadri deserved a match and a game. In both cases IMO the NHL failed to pass out reasonable punishment.

CNN breaking news: rival fans think the league is biased?

Here’s an interesting discussion. Boston commentary on Marchand getting a suspension that they felt was too harsh for a spear:

Bean: Brad Marchand suspension ‘impossible to explain on behalf of NHL’

The Marner elbow, to me, was a Penalty. But I can’t get behind the idea that it was part of a conspiracy. Earlier, they let Kadri’s knee go. Penalties are missed all the time. There were countless other infractions by the Bruins (and Leafs), we aren’t discussing that were missed.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I've been a fan of Kadri since we drafted him but he's always been a somewhat dirty player even in jr .

also 15 years he never would have had the opportunity to cheap shot Wingels since someone would have filled him in for his knee on Nash , but i guess somehow Nash had that coming as well , lol

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
15 years ago is a long time ago. A lot has changed since then. People are much, MUCH more knowledgeable about injuries now than before. Heck even the players from back then are pissed off that hockey was played as dangerous as it was.
Over a 100 players have filed lawsuits against the NHL because they felt the NHL didn't care about player safety. 559 concussions were reported over a 7 year time-period in 2011. That's crazy. It's the fans that love the dangerous hits. You think players actually liked being targeted to the head 15 years ago?? They loved Scott Stevens dangerous hits because those type of hits were common and having someone on your own team that could do that better than the other team was great. There was no-one to stand up for the player rights. The NHL was a money-hungry league that didn't care about the safety of their own players. You think they would take away dirty hits from the fans that loved those hits? No way. That was a selling point of hockey. Everyone loved it, you and me both. Now? That's NOT the norm. You have the NHL players association fighting for the players. Former players from the 'dangerous' NHL eras fighting for the players. Heck even the dirty players from the 'dangerous' NHL eras fighting for the players. The NHL still is a money-hungry league, but now they're actually protecting their players instead of satisfying dirty-hit loving fans.

I love Kadri, I've been a fan of him since his draft year and probably been his strongest defender against haters over the years. But I hate him for this hit because:
1) He lowered our chances in the series big-time. I was hopeful that we could win on home-ice because of matchups but now who do we matchup against the Bergeron line at home? He's arguably the most important player on the team in the playoffs, because he's the guy who's supposed to shutdown the Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak line.
2) His intentions were great BUT that hit didn't change anything. Who's supposed to protect our stars now? Kadri is our tough skilled forward that can scare the opposition. If he WERE in the lineup, the Bruins would be scared waiting for his big hits like in the Washington series. But now who do we have to dish a big hit? A #6D Polak? A 4th liner Martin? You can put Kadri against the Bruin stars without worrying about him being a liability, but Martin/Polak you can't. We NEED Kadri to change the momentum.

I've moved on from the hit, but I feel like I see the 'Hockey is turning into dancing' comment a lot on these boards and felt I needed to address it.

I respect the fact that you've researched this issue, but as a fan, I feel like player safety is not my concern. The NHL can deal with that issue. I love players on my team to play with their heart and soul, protect their team mates and never turn the other cheek. Heck, most of the reason that I watch hockey is for the war that happens on the ice in the first round of the playoffs.
I am not the least bit concerned about the impact this leaves on children. In fact I'd suggest that the NHL I grew up watching (line brawls Scott Stevens-esque hits) was far more entertaining than what we watch today and likely shouldn't have been watched by children.

With respect to Kadri and the two points you make. I agree on both, him being suspended is a huge liability for the Leafs, decreases their chances of winning and was a poor decision. That said, I think every team can use a player who plays with that passion. I was mainly taking exception to the fan who was using it as a "we need to trade Kadri for a Dman" line of conversation.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I've been a fan of Kadri since we drafted him but he's always been a somewhat dirty player even in jr .

also 15 years he never would have had the opportunity to cheap shot Wingels since someone would have filled him in for his knee on Nash , but i guess somehow Nash had that coming as well , lol
The knee on Nash was accidental. Kadri had Nash in his sights and turned his shoulder but as Nash was in transition with the puck he rolled his shoulder inwards to evade Kadri but he wasn't able to move his back leg out of the way in time which left him in an awkward position.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
CNN breaking news: rival fans think the league is biased?

Here’s an interesting discussion. Boston commentary on Marchand getting a suspension that they felt was too harsh for a spear:

Bean: Brad Marchand suspension ‘impossible to explain on behalf of NHL’

The Marner elbow, to me, was a Penalty. But I can’t get behind the idea that it was part of a conspiracy. Earlier, they let Kadri’s knee go. Penalties are missed all the time. There were countless other infractions by the Bruins (and Leafs), we aren’t discussing that were missed.

The Boston biased thing was called the Baaaston Garden advantage back in the 70's, its not a new thing, players knew it, coaches knew it, its was just something you accepted as a competing team. Thing is I don't see this sort of lopsided reffing in any other rink in the league.. ask any Hab fan they'll tell ya. Philly use to get some sweetheart calls when Schnider was alive but not so much anymore.

The influence of Jeremy Jacobs in the NHL is real. Its been often said that Jacobs is the voice and puppeteer behind Gary Bettman.

Reactions: bearcountry17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad