Value of: Kaapo Kakko

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Strange to use Draisaitl as an example then considering that he had 9 points in 37 NHL games in his teens and many were adamant that the Oilers should have picked Bennett or Dal Colle instead.

Why is that strange?
Oilers rushed him in his D+1 season before they realized that was a mistake.
He had 51 points in 72 games in his D+2 season in the NHL...

Just because there were idiots on hfboards being down on him in his D+1 year doesn't invalidate the example.

He is actually a perfect example and I was really surprised looking back that he fulfilled the criteria but he did.

Top tier forward prospects usually show you something offensively and produce in their first two NHL seasons...

Kakko right now is on pace for a 15 point sophomore campaign (over 82 games) after having 23 points in 66 games last year.
Thats just clearly not what you hope for and nowhere near what the usual top2 pick that was a success showed.

Again he might have COVID-19 as an excuse but aside from that its looking rather bleak especially considering that he was considered very NHL ready.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Why is that strange?
Oilers rushed him in his D+1 season before they realized that was a mistake.
He had 51 points in 72 games in his D+2 season in the NHL...

Just because there were idiots on hfboards being down on him in his D+1 year doesn't invalidate the example.

He is actually a perfect example and I was really surprised looking back that he fulfilled the criteria but he did.

Top tier forward prospects usually show you something offensively and produce in their first two NHL seasons...

Kakko right now is on pace for a 15 point sophomore campaign (over 82 games) after having 23 points in 66 games last year.
Thats just clearly not what you hope for and nowhere near what the usual top2 pick that was a success showed.

Again he might have COVID-19 as an excuse but aside from that its looking rather bleak especially considering that he was considered very NHL ready.

Draisaitl was therefore already in his 20s before he started producing in the NHL above what Kakko has been doing, Kakko's birthday was a month ago so surely he can still afford taking his time. And while one can say that he has almost no points production at this point, he does lead the team's forwards in other statistical categories like most takeaways and fewest giveaways. He doesn't look lost out there and is taking steps in the right direction. I don't know what more there should be to it right now.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Draisaitl was therefore already in his 20s before he started producing in the NHL above what Kakko has been doing, Kakko's birthday was a month ago so surely he can still afford taking his time. And while one can say that he has almost no points production at this point, he does lead the team's forwards in other statistical categories like most takeaways and fewest giveaways. He doesn't look lost out there and is taking steps in the right direction. I don't know what more there should be to it right now.

I mean if that makes you feel any better (just don't look at Lafrenieres birthdate. Might depress you a bit..)
The truth is that just judging by what we know about those high end forwards he is trending hard towards a disappointment and aside from Barkov (who really struggled with injuries IIRC) not many top tier prospects that were picked as highly as Kakko was have gone on to become a star if they didn't produce in their first two NHL seasons.
Especially considering that Kakko was considered very NHL ready.

And that is even generous because Kakko is producing very little and many of the more disappointing top5 picks over recent years had better numbers by quite a bit than he does in their early years.

He has Covid-19 as a real excuse and is trending towards becoming a really good two-way forward judging by the advanced stats and that is great. But thats not what anyone expected out of him when he got picked #2 overall and was in contention for #1 pick. People expected a star player who would rack up the points.

Nobody should write him off and he has plenty of time to get his shit together (teams usually never trade top5 picks during their ELCs anyways) but there are legit concerns with him right now IMO and I would be pretty concerned about him as a Rangers fan or as a fan that wants to trade for him.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't see how draft position would have any relation to player development, only perceived potential.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If the Canucks are drafting 10-15 (which it looks like) I’d hope Benning would at least ask if that could get Kakko.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Points will start coming for Kakko.
He looks like a bonafide future perennial selke winner right now though. I am impressed with his progression this year.

No interest in trading him. Even if he maxes out as a 50 point winger (which I think he's going to be a 30 goal winger) , he's going to be a great PKer and defensive asset.
I think when he puts it all together he’s going to be like Hossa or in the mold of Hossa. 75-80 pt winger your not afraid to have out there in any situation. He looks night and day compared to last year. Points aside. But there is definite progress there.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
KK is definitely worth at least 5 - 1sts.

AVs can offer:

Jost
Newhook
Kaut
Barron
2021 - 1st

NYR cheaply, deepens and fills needs across the team. Jost and Newhook fills a need at C. Kaut replaces KK in the sniper role and provides excellent defence. Barron RHD is big, smooth skating having an All Star Junior season and could replace Trouba in a few years. 1st round pick could add another excellent prospect.

AVs are taking a huge risk offering a substantial return of 5 - 1sts for a player that continues to struggle. They decimate their prospects in the hopes of developing KK.
As an NYR fan I would take this all day.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think when he puts it all together he’s going to be like Hossa or in the mold of Hossa. 75-80 pt winger your not afraid to have out there in any situation. He looks night and day compared to last year. Points aside. But there is definite progress there.

Marcel Hossa more likely.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Out of all the NYR trolls, you are the least clever - gotta up your game. A good troll either makes the fans of that team laugh or cause severe mental trauma, or both at the same time if they’re really good. You’re kinda stuck in the middle of bleh.
Whats wrong with vaak ? He is one of the best bruins prospects and has potential to be like a Jonas Brodin type.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Surprised to see how much he's struggled this season statistically. What is going on with his development? Has he looked as bad as the stats show?
His advanced statistics are really good. He's amazing at stealing the pucks, real good defensively. He looks 100 times better this season. But he needs to find his offensive game...

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
What do the Rangers need? Oilers would be interested for sure

Broberg/Bear/Bouchard/ 1st all available for Kakko
We don't need D or prospects. We need NHL ready top 6 C.

We'll keep Kakko and potentially use him as a piece in obtaining one farther down the road.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
looking like a fine young defensive winger. Not sure if he can put it all together offensively. No shame in this though. depends what the market will deem for the kid these days. Blueshirts should hold on and hope it clicks one day.....just my dime store thinking

Reactions: Stubu

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

The only thing most people understand is points.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
looking like a fine young defensive winger. Not sure if he can put it all together offensively. No shame in this though. depends what the market will deem for the kid these days. Blueshirts should hold on and hope it clicks one day.....just my dime store thinking
It seems blueshirts ans bluejackets share some of the same problems... Should they try purple or amber?

(Color-wise, it seems Dallas are already doing the high-viz jerseys so there's not much of that end of the palette left. Seattle would want to embrace emerald green. Perhaps many browns are still available?)

Reactions: mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
It seems blueshirts ans bluejackets share some of the same problems... Should they try purple or amber?

(Color-wise, it seems Dallas are already doing the high-viz jerseys so there's not much of that end of the palette left. Seattle would want to embrace emerald green. Perhaps many browns are still available?)
interesting perhaps!

Reactions: Stubu

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino