Value of: Kaapo Kakko

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
KK is definitely worth at least 5 - 1sts.

AVs can offer:

Jost
Newhook
Kaut
Barron
2021 - 1st

NYR cheaply, deepens and fills needs across the team. Jost and Newhook fills a need at C. Kaut replaces KK in the sniper role and provides excellent defence. Barron RHD is big, smooth skating having an All Star Junior season and could replace Trouba in a few years. 1st round pick could add another excellent prospect.

AVs are taking a huge risk offering a substantial return of 5 - 1sts for a player that continues to struggle. They decimate their prospects in the hopes of developing KK.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It actually works better visually when you swap out the C in Crappo for another K. Keep at it, you’ll get there.
I thought about that but I thought too many wouldn’t really notice what I did and would skim past it. I feel the C really accentuates the “Crap” to get the most out of it from a readers point of view.

Aesthetically, I agree with your idea. But for catching readers attention, I think my way is more impactful.

Reactions: Patagonia

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I thought about that but I thought too many wouldn’t really notice what I did and would skim past it. I feel the C really accentuates the “Crap” to get the most out of it from a readers point of view.

Aesthetically, I agree with your idea. But for catching readers attention, I think my way is more impactful.
Glad you put thought into this original concept. I didn’t mean to interrupt the struggle for mediocrity, carry on.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

AVs can offer:

Jost
Newhook
Kaut
Barron
2021 - 1st

NYR cheaply, deepens and fills needs across the team. Jost and Newhook fills a need at C. Kaut replaces KK in the sniper role and provides excellent defence. Barron RHD is big, smooth skating having an All Star Junior season and could replace Trouba in a few years. 1st round pick could add another excellent prospect.

AVs are taking a huge risk offering a substantial return of 5 - 1sts for a player that continues to struggle. They decimate their prospects in the hopes of developing KK.
NYR prob do this overpay. If you’re an Avs fan, you will be eaten by your own

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

AVs can offer:

Jost
Newhook
Kaut
Barron
2021 - 1st

I would lean towards no, b/c I'm not high on Kaut or Jost personally, and I think Kakko's just been unlucky (2nd worst on ice shooting% on the team, but 7th highest 5v5 S/60, 6th if you ignore Brodzinski's 4 games). But the thought there is actually intriguing. Would probably ask for 2022 1st instead of the 2021, looking like that'll be a better draft.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I wouldn’t give you Byram for Kakko straight up. I would have on draft night without hesitation. I’d have the exact opposite reaction today.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
What do the Rangers need? Oilers would be interested for sure

Broberg/Bear/Bouchard/ 1st all available for Kakko

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

AVs can offer:

Jost
Newhook
Kaut
Barron
2021 - 1st

no he isnt lmao

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
What do the Rangers need? Oilers would be interested for sure

Broberg/Bear/Bouchard/ 1st all available for Kakko

we need more physical/grit/complete forward players/prospects and draft picks.

I think Holloway + 1st rounder + 2nd rounder would be acceptable.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

AVs can offer:

Jost
Newhook
Kaut
Barron
2021 - 1st

Garbage offer for a stud like kakko. Throw in #29.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Points will start coming for Kakko.
He looks like a bonafide future perennial selke winner right now though. I am impressed with his progression this year.

No interest in trading him. Even if he maxes out as a 50 point winger (which I think he's going to be a 30 goal winger) , he's going to be a great PKer and defensive asset.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I am not buying the hype that Kakko is great defensively. If he would be he would be killing penalties which he does not. Also last season he wasn't very physical and this season he is even less physical.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

AVs can offer:

Jost
Newhook
Kaut
Barron
2021 - 1st

That’s too much and you’re trading away positions that are of greater need.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
That’s too much and you’re trading away positions that are of greater need.

AVs have a deep and young team. He would fit nicely. They can ease into their lineup and progress.

KK is highly touted and under 20. Overpay is necessary to get their immediate attention.

Remove 1-2 choices after each year if he continues to struggle.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
AVs have a deep and young team. He would fit nicely. They can ease into their lineup and progress.

KK is highly touted and under 20. Overpay is necessary to get their immediate attention.

Remove 1-2 choices after each year if he continues to struggle.

Even if you're right about the value, there's no way I do that. I liked Kakko as a prospect and I think he can turn things around but I also like Newhook a lot and at this point, it seems just as likely Newhook will be a good player. And Newhook can play center.

The only way the Avs should be trading Newhook is part of a package for an already established top 6 C.

Its nothing against Kakko or anything. But this trade doesn't make sense for the Avs.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I mean just looking at recent top2 forwards it really doesn't look good for Kakko. Almost any forward that was worth their selection atleast put up 50+ either during their rookie or sophomore season. He is nowhere near that.

If you start in 2010 list of forwards picked in the top3 that had a 50+ point season or atleast were on pace over their first two seasons:
Hall/ Seguin
RNH/Landeskog/Huberdeau (had 31 in 48 in his rookie D+2 season)
Yakupov
MacKinnon
Draisaitl
McDavid/Eichel
Matthews/Laine/Dubois (his D+2 season was only 48 points but his actual sophomore season in the NHL was 50+)
Hischier
Svechnikov

Players picked in the top3 that didn't have a season were they had 50 points or atleast were on pace:

Galchenyuk
Barkov (second year was only 41 point pace after injury riddled rookie season. Almost PPG in year 3)/Drouin
Reinhart
Strome
Patrick
Kotkaniemi

So yeah.

I see a pretty clear pattern here (aside from maybe Barkov who struggled with injuries early on).

Jack Hughes is very close right now to that 50+ point pace.
Kakko isn't even in the ballpark.

COVID-19 might be a decent excuse because otherwise its rather looking bleak for his chances to turn into a legit star player.
Top tier forwards usually show you why you picked them that high pretty quickly.
If they don't, historically it is a pretty bad sign. Especially considering that he was widely regarded as very NHL ready while Hughes was always going to take time due to his physical limitations and huge jump in competition...

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He’s not going anywhere. He’s 20 just let him get better

he passes the eye test he just needs to start finishing.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Top tier forwards usually show you why you picked them that high pretty quickly.

Strange to use Draisaitl as an example then considering that he had 9 points in 37 NHL games in his teens and many were adamant that the Oilers should have picked Bennett or Dal Colle instead.

Reactions: AirGut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad