Injury Report: JVR Out 6-8 Weeks

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
The foot is a huge part of skating ability. Uhhhh Forsberg? My foot is why you guys aren't talking about me on this board. Seriously, a foot is a serious injury for hockey and skating.

Hope he recovers. I know all too well, that the foot with its myriad of tendon connections, small bones etc... is a nightmare if something becomes chronic. Its a fast downward spiral to palookaville.

I just hope its pure bone. Nothing to do with tendons.

That all being said, JVR is our best player, NOW Babcock is really on the guillotine to see if he is as good a coach as guys like me have been touting.

I think these guys will still play hard and have some results. Top three pick still not guaranteed, but looking better.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Why are we looking to trade him? Because he's on a great contract?

I don't understand, he's a key piece and something we don't have in our system. People want to trade him for a prospect who MAY turn out to be JVR if we're lucky? JVR is still young and can be a piece going forward when the kids are ready.

You listen to offers on JVR and everyone. If an offer blows your mind, you take it. I don't recall anyone here saying we are looking to trade JVR for scraps.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
The foot is a huge part of skating ability. Uhhhh Forsberg? My foot is why you guys aren't talking about me on this board. Seriously, a foot is a serious injury for hockey and skating.

Hope he recovers. I know all too well, that the foot with its myriad of tendon connections, small bones etc... is a nightmare if something becomes chronic. Its a fast downward spiral to palookaville.

I just hope its pure bone. Nothing to do with tendons.

That all being said, JVR is our best player, NOW Babcock is really on the guillotine to see if he is as good a coach as guys like me have been touting.

I think these guys will still play hard and have some results. Top three pick still not guaranteed, but looking better.

Let's not blow this injury out of proportion now. He broke his foot blocking at shot, it's not career ending.. Forsberg had multiple foot injuries, we are not exactly at that stage of the game.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Well, with JVR out, our chances of making the playoffs are the same as me winning the Powerball lottery, so the tank is back on course.

Still sucks to see JVR have a strong statement season get derailed like this.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sucks for JVR but is probably the best for the leafs. They really do need a top end draft (D) and that's even if we get Stamkos.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
There must be some intersection between those who are treating the JVR injury as a death knell for the season and those who have been considering him expendable for the Leafs' future.

By the way, 8 weeks from now is March 7th. The Leafs will have 18 games remaining by that time. JVR could still end up playing as many 60 games this season.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
That's a big blow. He was on track to matching some of his career highs in goals and points (30goals, 60points). Would've loved to see him do that

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Let's not blow this injury out of proportion now. He broke his foot blocking at shot, it's not career ending.. Forsberg had multiple foot injuries, we are not exactly at that stage of the game.

I'm pretty sure that players have played in the playoffs with non-displaced cracked bones in a foot. JVR finished a game with a cracked bone in his foot.

Forsberg also had some foot abnormalities if I recall that were independent of broken bones.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Great news imo.

It's not muscle related or concussion issue. It's a fracture, something that will heal up good as new, and really helps out the rank cause JVR was really coming up big for the team. The tank really needs something like this we are comfortably outside of the bottom 3 right now, not good.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Great news imo.

It's not muscle related or concussion issue. It's a fracture, something that will heal up good as new, and really helps out the rank cause JVR was really coming up big for the team. The tank really needs something like this we are comfortably outside of the bottom 3 right now, not good.

:help:

There is no situation ever where one should be happy when their top scorer has an injury that causes them to miss 6-8 weeks

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007

There is no situation ever where one should be happy when their top scorer has an injury that causes them to miss 6-8 weeks

Yes there is.

52358-1.jpg

2015-12-26T192643Z_1199320807_GF10000276593_RTRMADP_3_FINLAND-SPORTS.JPG

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006

Here's the thing. And I don't mean to sound cold and heartless. I don't really care about JVR.

I care about the Leafs. I cheer for the team and the crest, not the names on the back. If missing JVR helps our draft position, and he comes back healthy, I'm all for it. Feel free to disagree.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Who said anything about being happy that he got injured. It's not like we were wishing he would get injured, we are recognizing the probable positive outcome of his injury.

It's kind of like... The train jumped the tracks and dumped its cargo but if it happened a few clicks down the way it would have made a mess of that small town.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
He's not old. He can be part of this rebuild, he'd be 29 when we're ready (approximately).

Dude wants to be a Leaf for life, is a positive influence on our younger guys.

Unless a team blows me away with an offer, I wouldn't trade him. Sometimes not trading every player we have is a good option too.

Yeah I agree with you, I would want to hang on to him unless we get something very, very good back (Top 15 pick + stud D prospect at least; maybe even that's not enough). Otherwise I'd be more than happy to keep him, with good line mates and a little more coaxing from Babcock this guy can be an absolute beast. He has a very unique skill set and has the potential to be a dominant player. And lately he's been starting to show that he can put it all together. If he can produce at a 30G-60P pace playing in a defensive system with no star line mates, imagine what he can do with players more on his level.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Because, realistically I don't think he's seen as a key piece moving forward. (ie: 4.2 for two more years looks amazing, but then he'll want to be paid, and paid good, and I don't know at... however old he is (i just drew a blank) - and honestly I'd all be for team "Keep him" if he didn't have that stupid annoying full NTC that kicks in.

For your 2nd argument, I am oft intrigued when people go "we want to do ____ for someone who MAY turn out.." for me that shouldn't deter you from trying. it. MAY not. or it MAY - but that's where you trust scouting do you not? and even if it doesn't. you could have two people doing what 1 JVR can do for less. which sounds just as good to me, right?

also. (reading on) does he really? when/where did he say that? that's the first i heard he wants to be a Leaf for Life.

To me, it's bird in hand, and denying the whole fear of missing out. Yeah, you MAY hit with someone else, but there's a lot of variables. You see JVR doing well consistently and I see him being a piece. He'll be, what 28 or 29 when the kids are up and contributing? That's pretty young. Or you try with whatever you get for him and hope for the best. I'd rather take the sure thing.

Two roster spots to fill one first liner's production is not a good trade-off. You still need a first line winger, and you have one already. Any sort of gamble you make on a prospect is not necessarily going to make your team better.

However, this is all just opinion right now. If the Leafs get blown away with a package that makes the team better, then go for it. I just don't think we should be trading him simply because he has an upcoming NTC, like he's an old vet.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I would like to see JVR play with two really big line mates. I know that JVR doesn't play a very physical game... but I could see a line with guys who are like 6'4 being really tough to deal with.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
The JVR injury should be the continuation of our season heading into the toilet. Time to sell off our vets for picks and prospects and look to build on the team for next season.

Spaling, Polak, Matthias, Parenteau, Grabner should all be moved without question.

Bozak, Lupul, Phaneuf, Komarov should be moved if we can find a good deal. Lupul i doubt anyone wants. Phaneuf has picked up his play but i'm not sure its enough to get good value back without eating contract. Bozak should get us something pretty good. We should be looking to take advantage of the value Komarov has built with his play this season. Before the year we'd be lucky to move him for value and now we are looking at getting something really good for him.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
The JVR injury should be the continuation of our season heading into the toilet. Time to sell off our vets for picks and prospects and look to build on the team for next season.

Spaling, Polak, Matthias, Parenteau, Grabner should all be moved without question.

Bozak, Lupul, Phaneuf, Komarov should be moved if we can find a good deal. Lupul i doubt anyone wants. Phaneuf has picked up his play but i'm not sure its enough to get good value back without eating contract. Bozak should get us something pretty good. We should be looking to take advantage of the value Komarov has built with his play this season. Before the year we'd be lucky to move him for value and now we are looking at getting something really good for him.

You can't win by selling off everyone who isn't a pick or prospect. That's what the Oilers tried and it didn't work. I'd keep Komarov, JVR, Phaneuf like you said is almost immovable.

I don't want a rebuild where it's all kids running the show. You need influences like Komarov to help steer the ship.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
The problem with the Oilers is that they haven't focused on the development of integral parts of success(defense and goaltending) and their drafting beyond the top 5 has been completely inept.

I believe in Shanahan, Lamourello, Hunter and Dubas to find and acquire the talent necessary to compete. Just because Phaneuf and Komarov have "leadership" qualities that shouldn't preclude us from moving them. Young players can win. Good defense and goaltending will go a long way to making this team a contender. Can Phaneuf be a part of that defense? Sure he can. But if we can move him and improve the team long term you definitely need to do it.

The overpayment of "leadership" is the pitfall of any franchise. I'm not a Phaneuf hater and in fact think he is a legit top 4 defenseman. At 7 million with his age i think if we can move him i think we should.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
jvr....what a team player.

never like to see a player injured but it makes us considerably worse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad