Injury Report: JVR Out 6-8 Weeks

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Great news for the tank - should finally kill of any (false) hope that this team is heading towards the playoffs this season.

Also likely places an increase pressure on trading guys like Bozak as the team's offense is going to take a dive.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Well looks like i'm officially switching sides to the tank. Really happy for Leivo, but honestly sucks for JVR.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Glad for the tank
Glad that there is virtually zero chance of JVR getting traded before the deadline now

But I'm a little bummed about not being able to watch JVR for the next 2 months:cry:

Teams know what they would be getting with JVR. I don't think this hurts his trade value at all.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Why are we looking to trade him? Because he's on a great contract?

I don't understand, he's a key piece and something we don't have in our system. People want to trade him for a prospect who MAY turn out to be JVR if we're lucky? JVR is still young and can be a piece going forward when the kids are ready.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
You trade him because he's 26, he's NTC kicks in this summer, and you'd get a great return for a rebuilding team (sell high for once).
But you only trade him for a great deal.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
You trade him because he's 26, he's NTC kicks in this summer, and you'd get a great return for a rebuilding team (sell high for once).
But you only trade him for a great deal.

He's not old. He can be part of this rebuild, he'd be 29 when we're ready (approximately).

Dude wants to be a Leaf for life, is a positive influence on our younger guys.

Unless a team blows me away with an offer, I wouldn't trade him. Sometimes not trading every player we have is a good option too.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I don't understand, he's a key piece and something we don't have in our system. People want to trade him for a prospect who MAY turn out to be JVR if we're lucky? JVR is still young and can be a piece going forward when the kids are ready.

He's on a great contract now - but that may be u by the time the Leafs are ready to be competitive- meaning the team would need to resign him and he'd likely be looking T the 6.5/7ish range given his consistent production- he also has an NTC for his final year.

Meaning that the Leafs will need to decide sooner rather than later if they'd like to resign him.

Pros and cons to both positions.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Not sure if he should be traded or not. But if he is traded, I highly doubt this affects his trade value at all. People know what JVR brings to the table and this isn't the type of injury that will stick with him for the rest of his career or anything like that. Evander Kane was traded while injured, his value wasn't hurt, JVR's wouldn't/shouldn't be either.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
He's on a great contract now - but that may be u by the time the Leafs are ready to be competitive- meaning the team would need to resign him and he'd likely be looking T the 6.5/7ish range given his consistent production- he also has an NTC for his final year.

Meaning that the Leafs will need to decide sooner rather than later if they'd like to resign him.

Pros and cons to both positions.

True, and I'm not saying it's cut and dry. Especially if a great offer presented itself. However, I think "paying for consistency" as you mentioned is a strong market move, not a weak one. When JVR's extension comes up, paying for the fact that he's consistently put up production is a good thing.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I really hope they give Leivo a legit chance to produce. Worst thing they could do is stick him with Froese and Boyes. I really liked Leivo when he was up with the Leafs. Seems like he's improved since then so excited to see what he can do.

Edit: Ughh, just read post above. Matthias is just useless; hands of stone. I guess they're trying to get the most out of their 1 year trade deadline investment.

Matthias was with PAP & Bozak before JVR joined them in December. Matthias was part of their production in November & when previously interviewed he stated that he was given the roll of working the boards & corners to get Bozak & PAP the puck. He did a pretty good job of it.

In addition, he gets virtually no PP time & his stats 5v5 are ahead of some of our young "stars".

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Matthias is better than many give him credit for here. He doesn't have a lot of finish but he protects the puck well, plays a two way game and goes to the net. Keep in mind he played top minutes in Florida a few years ago. I think it's a bit like Grabner where he will come on if given a bit more opportunity.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
He's not old. He can be part of this rebuild, he'd be 29 when we're ready (approximately).

Unless a team blows me away with an offer
, I wouldn't trade him. Sometimes not trading every player we have is a good option too.

With his cap hit there's going to be a few offers that will "blow you away."

There are a lot of teams that are in win-now mode who will pay a huge price for JVR.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Unless a team blows me away with an offer, I wouldn't trade him. Sometimes not trading every player we have is a good option too.

Based on what? Quote?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Because, realistically I don't think he's seen as a key piece moving forward. (ie: 4.2 for two more years looks amazing, but then he'll want to be paid, and paid good, and I don't know at... however old he is (i just drew a blank) - and honestly I'd all be for team "Keep him" if he didn't have that stupid annoying full NTC that kicks in.

For your 2nd argument, I am oft intrigued when people go "we want to do ____ for someone who MAY turn out.." for me that shouldn't deter you from trying. it. MAY not. or it MAY - but that's where you trust scouting do you not? and even if it doesn't. you could have two people doing what 1 JVR can do for less. which sounds just as good to me, right?

also. (reading on) does he really? when/where did he say that? that's the first i heard he wants to be a Leaf for Life.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
If Nylander wasn't hurt would have got the call instead of Leivo?

I'd still rather give Leivo the opportunity. He's having a great year; we need a winger; Leivo is only waiver exempt for a few more months. I'd like to see him get acclimatized to the NHL before next season's camp. He could be a big piece for our future, but his comfort in the NHL has been sporadic so far.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Maybe with a health JVR. Not with a JVR on return from a 2 month injury which has prevented him from skating. It takes him off the table for the trade deadline.

Not necessarily. Every circumstance is different. Buffalo did acquire Kane and not only was he injured, but he didn't play the rest of the season with the Sabres.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00