Just Missed - Your teams big miss just shortly after their pick?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
:stars

2009 - Scott Glennie (8th overall) - 4 picks before Ryan Ellis
2010 - Jack Campbell (11th overall) - 1 pick before Cam Fowler, 3 before Jaden Schwartz
2011 - Jamie Oleksiak (14th overall) - 1 pick before J.T. Miller
2012 - Radek Faksa (13th overall) - fine with this one, although Hertl was taken 4 picks later
2013 - Val Nichushkin (10th overall) - 2 picks before Max Domi
2014 - Julius Honka (14th overall) - 1 pick before Dylan Larkin
2015 - Denis Gurianov (12th overall) - 4 picks before Matt Barzal
2016 - Riley Tufte (25th ovearll) - fine with this one.....for now. No big hits immediately afterwards, at least not in the 1st round. Hawks were fortunate, not having a 1st rounder, for their first pick that draft to be DeBrincat. Everyone else passed on him once. :laugh:
2017 - Miro Heiskanen - (3rd overall) - no issues with this one, basically gift-wrapped and Nill made no mistake.
2018 - Ty Dellandrea - (13th overall) - early to say, but considered a reach at the time.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
In 2007 the Kings took Thomas Hickey when they easily could have just traded back for a few picks and selected PK Subban and Jamie Benn

This seems like quite a stretch.

They could've simply picked him at 124.

I don't really like using late round picks, though, as multiple teams passed on these players multiple times. A lot of it is just luck and taking a chance on a player.

The spirit of the thread seems to be more along the lines of Dallas and Boston (x3) passing on Barzal when he was somewhat clearly the consensus pick and is clearly panning out that way so far.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
:stars

2009 - Scott Glennie (8th overall) - 4 picks before Ryan Ellis
2010 - Jack Campbell (11th overall) - 1 pick before Cam Fowler, 3 before Jaden Schwartz
2011 - Jamie Oleksiak (14th overall) - 1 pick before J.T. Miller
2012 - Radek Faksa (13th overall) - fine with this one, although Hertl was taken 4 picks later
2013 - Val Nichushkin (10th overall) - 2 picks before Max Domi
2014 - Julius Honka (14th overall) - 1 pick before Dylan Larkin
2015 - Denis Gurianov (12th overall) - 4 picks before Matt Barzal
2016 - Riley Tufte (25th ovearll) - fine with this one.....for now. No big hits immediately afterwards, at least not in the 1st round. Hawks were fortunate, not having a 1st rounder, for their first pick that draft to be DeBrincat. Everyone else passed on him once. :laugh:
2017 - Miro Heiskanen - (3rd overall) - no issues with this one, basically gift-wrapped and Nill made no mistake.
2018 - Ty Dellandrea - (13th overall) - early to say, but considered a reach at the time.

Wow, Dallas has been so bad at drafting lately. They are still competitive today because of good trades and UFAs, but imagine if they could just have 2 impact players coming out of the 2009-2015 sequence when they picked before 15 every draft!!!

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Wow, Dallas has been so bad at drafting lately. They are still competitive today because of good trades and UFAs, but imagine if they could just have 2 impact players coming out of the 2009-2015 sequence when they picked before 15 every draft!!!

It's been rough, for sure. Would be nice if the team had a larger influx of actual homegrown talent.

These players were drafted by the team:

Jamie Benn
Jason Dickinson
Radek Faksa
Miro Heiskanen
Roope Hintz
Julius Honka
John Klingberg
Esa Lindell
Val Nichushkin
Brett Ritchie
Devin Shore
Gemel Smith

These players weren't:

Ben Bishop
Connor Carrick
Blake Comeau
Matthias Janmark
Anton Khudobin
Marc Methot
Tyler Pitlick
Roman Polak
Alex Radulov
Tyler Seguin
Jason Spezza

Nearly half the current roster, and I'm actually surprised it's not higher. :laugh:

But that's both goalies, half the blueline and 2/3rds of their top line that were obtained via UFA or trade.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
It's been rough, for sure. Would be nice if the team had a larger influx of actual homegrown talent.

These players were drafted by the team:

Jamie Benn
Jason Dickinson
Radek Faksa
Miro Heiskanen
Roope Hintz
Julius Honka
John Klingberg
Esa Lindell
Val Nichushkin
Brett Ritchie
Devin Shore
Gemel Smith

These players weren't:

Ben Bishop
Connor Carrick
Blake Comeau
Matthias Janmark
Anton Khudobin
Marc Methot
Tyler Pitlick
Roman Polak
Alex Radulov
Tyler Seguin
Jason Spezza

Nearly half the current roster, and I'm actually surprised it's not higher. :laugh:

But that's both goalies, half the blueline and 2/3rds of their top line that were obtained via UFA or trade.

Benn was drafter more than 10 years ago. It's very bad to have only Faksa, Nichuchkin and Honka out of 6 top 15 picks. None of those guys are or project to be impact players. Your team did very very good in trades and UFA getting 2-3 games breakers in Seguin, Radulov and Spezza, good depth in Methot, Janmark, Comeau, Carrick and an average starter in Bishop. It's just too bad you never hit big with those 6 picks because you guys would be contenders!!

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
NYR

2003: Hugh Jessiman taken 12th. Tons of great players taken soon after

2006: Bobby Sanguinetti taken 21st, one spot before Claude Giroux

2010: Dylan McIlrath 10th overall, right before Fowler and Tarasenko

2017: Lias Andersson taken one spot before Mittelstadt :sarcasm:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
2008 : Tom McCollum (30th), Josi was picked 38th
2009 : Gleason Fournier (90th), Savard and Ekholm were picked closely after
2010 : Riley Sheahan (21st), Kuznetsov and Faulk were drafted closely after
2011 : Xavier Ouellet (48th) and Ryan Sproul (55th), Kucherov went 58th, Trochek 64th.
2012 : Martin Frk (49th), Gostibeshere was at 78th
2013 : Zach Nastasiuk (48th) , Pesce was 66th

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Like in 2015 Arizona picking Dylan Strome (18 NHL games) 3rd and two picks later is Noah Hanifin (230 NHL games).
or in the same draft
Tampa Bay picks 33rd and chooses Mitchell Stephens 33rd and at 35 Carolina picks Sebastian Aho.

Yes there are plenty of these but some could have changed the direction of the entire franchise!

Hanifin's a weird one to point to as the guy you missed out on given superior players like Marner, Provorov, Werenski, Rantanen were also taken top 10.

We took Dermott with the pick before Aho, but I'm sure most Leafs fans still feel pretty good about that pick

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
We picked Tyler Witherspoon one pick before kucherov. Even worse was that we had kucherov on a separate list of high ceiling prospects, so thanks feaster (lol). Least we got Gaudreau.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
And Heiskanen :laugh:

Definitely too soon to say anything definitive about that draft, though.

I wouldn't swap Patrick for either of them right now. Maybe he doesn't pan out as a Ryan Johansen type of center, but that's exactly what we need in the top 6 with Couturier to succeed in the East now that Giroux has been moved to LW.

For those who don't remember, Johansen scored 33 points in 107 games in his 19 and 20 year old seasons.

Ryan Johansen at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: LatvianTwist

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm only looking at round 1 because I don't agree with nitpicking late 2nds and beyond given that it gets more and more like a crapshoot the deeper you go. I'm also setting an arbitrary cutoff of no more than 5 picks later so we're not reaching too much. But looking at sharks history for the biggest ones:

1991: After being screwed out of a shot at the #1 pick for vague, never explained reasons (except the general expectation that Eric Lindros didn't want to play for an expansion team in California and the league didn't want a potential cornerstone in such a market), the Sharks picked Pat Falloon 2nd, missing out on Scott Niedermayer (3rd) and Peter Forsberg (6th)

1995: The Sharks went way off the board to pick Teemu Riihijarvi at 12. He was the only 1st rounder to not suit up for even a single NHL game. Instead they could've had J-S Giguere (13th)

2005: As noted before, the big one. Sharks traded up to take Devin Setoguchi at 8. I was literally screaming at my TV when the trade went down for them to pick Kopitar (11). They also probably would've been better off with Marc Staal (12) as well.

The Sharks have many times been "lucky" that when they picked a disappointing player other teams have mostly taken iffy players right after them or the whole draft has been largely a tire fire.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The 2003 entry draft has an awful story for the Oilers. Pick number 17, our pick, rolls up, and players still on the board include a variety of guys who went on to become stars. Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, and stretching down further, Corey Perry, and 2nd round gems Patrice Bergeron and Shea Weber. Which of these studs would the Oilers select at 17? None, we didn't want any of them. We traded down to pick #22. Okay, that's not that big of deal, there are still a few of those guys on the board, and Mark Stuart was selected so we don't need to worry about that anymore. So who did we pick?

Marc. Antoine. Pouliot.

20009 holds a different type of tale, one that brought us high potential winger Magnus Pajaarvi-Svensson. Selecting him probably doesn't hurt as bad as going off the board to take Scott Glennie does for Dallas fans, but we left Ryan Ellis on the board and today, Ellis would be the solution to all of our problems on the blueline, where Pajaarvi didn't do anything and we traded him for a guy we lost anyway.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Flyers are generally very good in the first round, so my immediate thought was the 1990 draft. There are a few others, though.

#4 - Mike Ricci, PHI
#5 - Jaromir Jagr, PIT

1992:

#7 - Ryan Sittler, PHI
#12 - Sergei Krivokrasov, CHI

(Just out of the 5 pick range: Sergei Gonchar went #14.)

#15 - Jason Bowen, PHI
#19 - Martin Straka, PIT

#31 - Denis Metlyuk, PHI
#32 - Jim Carey, WAS
#33 - Valeri Bure, MTL

1999:

#22 - Maxime Ouellet, PHI
#26 - Martin Havlat, OTT

2005:

#29 - Steve Downie, PHI
#33 - James Neal, DAL

2007:

#41 - Kevin Marshall, PHI
#43 - PK Subban, MTL

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The Ducks took Logan McMillan ahead of Max Pacioretty. Awful at the time, worse now

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The 2003 entry draft has an awful story for the Oilers. Pick number 17, our pick, rolls up, and players still on the board include a variety of guys who went on to become stars. Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, and stretching down further, Corey Perry, and 2nd round gems Patrice Bergeron and Shea Weber. Which of these studs would the Oilers select at 17? None, we didn't want any of them. We traded down to pick #22. Okay, that's not that big of deal, there are still a few of those guys on the board, and Mark Stuart was selected so we don't need to worry about that anymore. So who did we pick?

Marc. Antoine. Pouliot.

2009 holds a different type of tale, one that brought us high potential winger Magnus Pajaarvi-Svensson. Selecting him probably doesn't hurt as bad as going off the board to take Scott Glennie does for Dallas fans, but we left Ryan Ellis on the board and today, Ellis would be the solution to all of our problems on the blueline, where Pajaarvi didn't do anything and we traded him for a guy we lost anyway.

I remember being over the moon when Dallas's turn came up and MPS was still on the board. Thought he was going to be a stud, and Dallas had a steal. Then Joe Nieuwendyk uttered the name Scott Glennie and Stars fans across the continent were slapping their respective foreheads. Little did we know we both missed the boat on that one.

As for 2003, as lucrative as it was, Dallas traded out of the first round to pick Loui Eriksson at 33.

Anaheim used Dallas's pick to take Corey Perry.

Dallas's two other picks in the 2nd round of that very deep draft? Vojtech Polak and BJ Crombeen.

Looking at the draft now, I'm pretty sure the only player Dallas took that's still active in the NHL, is Eriksson. :laugh:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
1979 - Canucks pick Ken Ellacott. Mark Messier taken with the next pick.
1984 - Canucks pick Jeff Korchinski. Brett Hull taken two picks later.
1985 - Canucks pick Troy Gamble. Joe Nieuwendyk taken two picks later.
1986 - Canucks pick Dan Woodley. Brian Leetch taken two picks later.
1990 - Canucks pick Petr Nedved. Jaromir Jagr taken three picks later.
1990 - Canucks pick Shawn Antoski. Keith Tkachuk, Martin Brodeur taken with the next two picks.
1993 - Canucks pick Mike Wilson. Saku Koivu taken with the next pick.
1997 - Canucks pick Brad Ference. Marian Hossa taken two picks later.
2005 - Canucks pick Luc Bourdon. Anze Kopitar taken with the next pick.
2011 - Canucks pick Joe Labate. Johnny Gaudreau taken three picks later.
2014 - Canucks pick Jared McCann. David Pastrnak taken with the next pick.
2014 - Canucks pick Jake Virtanen. William Nylander and Nikolaj Ehlers taken 2 and 3 picks later.
2016 - Canucks pick Olli Juolevi. Matthew Tkachuk and Clayton Keller taken with the next two picks.

giphy.gif
I mean you guys did end up eventually getting Messier...

Best captain in Canucks history!

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
In 2007 the Kings took Thomas Hickey when they easily could have just traded back for a few picks and selected PK Subban and Jamie Benn

I know. Why don't more teams do this!!!

The only one I know of from the Oilers is Oshie/Cogliano. Oilers wanted Oshie. Recently they were high on Roope Hintz too and missed out so they traded their pick away.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
1979 - Canucks pick Ken Ellacott. Mark Messier taken with the next pick.
1984 - Canucks pick Jeff Korchinski. Brett Hull taken two picks later.
1985 - Canucks pick Troy Gamble. Joe Nieuwendyk taken two picks later.
1986 - Canucks pick Dan Woodley. Brian Leetch taken two picks later.
1990 - Canucks pick Petr Nedved. Jaromir Jagr taken three picks later.
1990 - Canucks pick Shawn Antoski. Keith Tkachuk, Martin Brodeur taken with the next two picks.
1993 - Canucks pick Mike Wilson. Saku Koivu taken with the next pick.
1997 - Canucks pick Brad Ference. Marian Hossa taken two picks later.
2005 - Canucks pick Luc Bourdon. Anze Kopitar taken with the next pick.
2011 - Canucks pick Joe Labate. Johnny Gaudreau taken three picks later.
2014 - Canucks pick Jared McCann. David Pastrnak taken with the next pick.
2014 - Canucks pick Jake Virtanen. William Nylander and Nikolaj Ehlers taken 2 and 3 picks later.
2016 - Canucks pick Olli Juolevi. Matthew Tkachuk and Clayton Keller taken with the next two picks.

giphy.gif

The Canucks usually often lose to the Cup Finalist/Champion in the playoffs that I often would always predict who beat the Cancuks would play in the finals. But I guess this is like how I predict how Bergevin makes a trade, he says he won't trade them and does later on. Now I guess for the Canucks I just got to see who gets picked after them and predict they likely succeed.

It always seems to be the Canucks.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I remember doing something similar to this for the Edmonton Oilers a while back.

An extremely good friend of mine(who is a die hard Oiler fan)and myself put together what the team would look like if they instead selected the player that was drafted RIGHT AFTER the player the Oilers chose. It is unbelievable(obviously not taking cap into consideration).

Ill do it since the '03 draft....

Dubnyk/Radulov - Hall/Seguin - Gagner/Voracek
RNH/Landeskog - McDavid/Eichel - Marincin/Toffoli
Riley Nash/Pacioretty - Marc-Antoine Pouliot (actually Parise because Oilers traded down)/Kesler - Nagelvoort/Arvidsson
Draisaitl/Bennett - Ewanyk/Coleman - Slepyshev/Bjorkstrand
Olsson/Stempniak

Rajala/Ekholm - Nurse/Ristolainen
Yakupov/Murray - MPS/Ellis
Abney/Connauton - Klefbom/Murphy

Schremp/Schneider
Colin McDonald/Crawford

*there are a few others too like William Carrier, Chris Wagner, Jonas Enroth and Calvin Pickard just to name a few

It's not that bad when you have the player picked next to them Draisaitl/Bennett, There were definite WTF when we drafted them like Ewanyk and Abney. And Oilers liked size when they drafted Marincin, Curtis Hamilton, Ryan Martindale around the same time Toffoli. Rajala and Schremp were good high-risk high-rewards gambles since Oilers had Dubynk and didn't need Schneider.

The bad picks were 4th rounders or in 2003/2004 when the Oilers drafted like donkey butt. The first round picks in the last 10 years are a wash... Teams wished they could draft players like Arvidsson or Gaudreau in the 4th round.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The Canucks usually often lose to the Cup Finalist/Champion in the playoffs that I often would always predict who beat the Cancuks would play in the finals. But I guess this is like how I predict how Bergevin makes a trade, he says he won't trade them and does later on. Now I guess for the Canucks I just got to see who gets picked after them and predict they likely succeed.

It always seems to be the Canucks.

Canucks hit their draft home runs in 1999-2004 that built their cup contending teams.

Reactions: lawrence

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad