Just Missed - Your teams big miss just shortly after their pick?

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I'm only going based on the first round because the later rounds are usually a crap-shoot, with the first round being the one that should have better results. The worst lately was probably 2015 where not only was there one great player, but a few others that were shortly after.

2015 - Stars pick Denis Gurianov 12th Overall - Jake DeBrusk goes 14th, Mathew Barzal goes 16th, Kyle Connor goes 17th, and Brock Boeser goes 23rd

And though I think Honka has promise, he's never going to have a chance in Dallas and he certainly is not as good as these guys who went right after him.

2014 - Stars pick Julius Honka 14th Overall - Dylan Larkin goes 15th and David Pastrnak goes 25th.

I didn't feel like going further back, but given how terrible Dallas has been at drafting, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some others.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks have a couple of whoppers....in '05 they drafted the late Luc Bourdon at 10th...and the next guy selected was Anze Kopitar at 11th....and in 2014, Jared McCann at 24th and the next guy selected, David Pastrnak....ouch!

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
1979 - Canucks pick Ken Ellacott. Mark Messier taken with the next pick.
1984 - Canucks pick Jeff Korchinski. Brett Hull taken two picks later.
1985 - Canucks pick Troy Gamble. Joe Nieuwendyk taken two picks later.
1986 - Canucks pick Dan Woodley. Brian Leetch taken two picks later.
1990 - Canucks pick Petr Nedved. Jaromir Jagr taken three picks later.
1990 - Canucks pick Shawn Antoski. Keith Tkachuk, Martin Brodeur taken with the next two picks.
1993 - Canucks pick Mike Wilson. Saku Koivu taken with the next pick.
1997 - Canucks pick Brad Ference. Marian Hossa taken two picks later.
2005 - Canucks pick Luc Bourdon. Anze Kopitar taken with the next pick.
2011 - Canucks pick Joe Labate. Johnny Gaudreau taken three picks later.
2014 - Canucks pick Jared McCann. David Pastrnak taken with the next pick.
2014 - Canucks pick Jake Virtanen. William Nylander and Nikolaj Ehlers taken 2 and 3 picks later.
2016 - Canucks pick Olli Juolevi. Matthew Tkachuk and Clayton Keller taken with the next two picks.

giphy.gif

Ouch!! Wow I had no idea that the Canucks fans have had to watch this take place.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
In 2011 Toronto had two 1st round picks at #25 and #30. They traded up from #30 to #22 to draft Tyler Biggs and at #25 they selected Stuart Percy. With the benefit of hindsight they could have selected Boone Jenner who went #37 and Brandon Saad who went #43.

Reactions: Yamazaki

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'm only going based on the first round because the later rounds are usually a crap-shoot, with the first round being the one that should have better results. The worst lately was probably 2015 where not only was there one great player, but a few others that were shortly after.

2015 - Stars pick Denis Gurianov 12th Overall - Jake DeBrusk goes 14th, Mathew Barzal goes 16th, Kyle Connor goes 17th, and Brock Boeser goes 23rd

And though I think Honka has promise, he's never going to have a chance in Dallas and he certainly is not as good as these guys who went right after him.

2014 - Stars pick Julius Honka 14th Overall - Dylan Larkin goes 15th and David Pastrnak goes 25th.

I didn't feel like going further back, but given how terrible Dallas has been at drafting, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some others.

Don't forget Tufte over DeBrincat and (although it's unknown if this will be bad yet) I'm not a fan of Oettinger over Tolvanen and never was when it happened. I thought the whole point we traded up was to grab Tolvanen

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA

If you were a fan of Boston you'd know there are far worse busts in Bruins history.

2009- Jordan Caron (Palmari, O'Reilly, Silfverberg all quality players)

2007- Zach Hamill (Couture, McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Pacioretty were first round picks along with Subban in the second round)

2005- Matt Lashoff (Oshie, Vlasic, Cogliano, Niskanen)

Hamill was by far the worst, and the biggest Bruins bust of the last decade-ish

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This one sticks out in my mind for the Flyers.

2007 Flyers trade a 2nd and a 3rd for a 2nd to grab the Dman they want. They draft Kevin Marshall. PK Subban is the next Dman picked just 2 picks later.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
If you were a fan of Boston you'd know there are far worse busts in Bruins history.

2009- Jordan Caron (Palmari, O'Reilly, Silfverberg all quality players)

2007- Zach Hamill (Couture, McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Pacioretty were first round picks along with Subban in the second round)

2005- Matt Lashoff (Oshie, Vlasic, Cogliano, Niskanen)

Hamill was by far the worst, and the biggest Bruins bust of the last decade-ish

Obviously, but when you add them all up it looks pretty bad, which makes it a peculiar one, thats the point, otherwise I could have only said Senyshyn/Barzal.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Obviously, but when you add them all up it looks pretty bad, which makes it a peculiar one, thats the point, otherwise I could have only said Senyshyn/Barzal.

And my point is those picks can still develop and prove their worth.

DeBrusk is having a strong rookie year, while Zboril and Senyshyn are first year pros in the AHL (just like DeBrusk was last year) so them developing into actual NHLers is not out of the question.

Zach Hamill had a career total 4 points in the NHL, when the Bruins could have had a 1st line forward of a 1st pairing defenceman.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Drafted Scheifele(7th Overall) and missed out on Couturier(8th Overall) and Hamilton(9th Overall) within the next two following picks right after.
Just Kidding

Last edited:
Reactions: kanetoews1988

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Drafted Scheifele(7th Overall) and missed out on Couturier(8th Overall) and Hamilton(9th Overall) within the next two following picks right after.

:huh: I don't think you understand this thread.

Calgary picked Trevor Kidd at 11 and missed out on Brodeur at 20 (next goalie picked) in the 1990 entry draft. Calgary also moved up in the draft to pick Kidd swapping picks with New Jersey and added a couple 2nds.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Most recent? Brett Murray at 99 OA, Victor Mete at 100 OA. There are plenty of others but that one chafes plenty.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Don't forget Tufte over DeBrincat and (although it's unknown if this will be bad yet) I'm not a fan of Oettinger over Tolvanen and never was when it happened. I thought the whole point we traded up was to grab Tolvanen

I didn't include Tufte and DeBrincat because they were farther apart than a slot or two. I only included so many on Gurianov's to illustrate just how many we missed out on that were so close to his pick.

As far as Oettinger goes, I was going to be fine picking him if we stayed at 29, but then we moved up and I was confused because I figured that they must have had someone else they wanted. I wasn't terribly disappointed though because that was before Point started coming into his own this season at Colgate, so ANY goaltending prospect with promise made me hopeful....I also just didn't care about anything other than Heiskanen, lol.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
2003 Kings picked Brian Boyle and Jeff Tambellini back-to-back. Next pick? Corey Perry.

Kings also drafted Pushkarev 44th overall. Patrice Bergeron went 45th.

2008 Kings drafted Colten Teubert 2 picks before Erik Karlsson.

2010 Kings picked Derek Forbort right before Tarasenko.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Flyers , Ricci over Jagr.

Jagr, forsberg, and potentially lindros with a trade revolving around brindamour and recchi. That would have been crazy.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I remember doing something similar to this for the Edmonton Oilers a while back.

An extremely good friend of mine(who is a die hard Oiler fan)and myself put together what the team would look like if they instead selected the player that was drafted RIGHT AFTER the player the Oilers chose. It is unbelievable(obviously not taking cap into consideration).

Ill do it since the '03 draft....

Radulov - Seguin - Voracek
Landeskog - Eichel - Toffoli
Pacioretty - Kesler - Arvidsson
Bennett - Coleman - Bjorkstrand
Stempniak

Ekholm - Ristolainen
Murray - Ellis
Connauton - Murphy

Schneider
Crawford

*there are a few others too like William Carrier, Chris Wagner, Jonas Enroth and Calvin Pickard just to name a few

Reactions: Elf

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
1979 - Canucks pick Ken Ellacott. Mark Messier taken with the next pick.
1984 - Canucks pick Jeff Korchinski. Brett Hull taken two picks later.
1985 - Canucks pick Troy Gamble. Joe Nieuwendyk taken two picks later.
1986 - Canucks pick Dan Woodley. Brian Leetch taken two picks later.
1990 - Canucks pick Petr Nedved. Jaromir Jagr taken three picks later.
1990 - Canucks pick Shawn Antoski. Keith Tkachuk, Martin Brodeur taken with the next two picks.
1993 - Canucks pick Mike Wilson. Saku Koivu taken with the next pick.
1997 - Canucks pick Brad Ference. Marian Hossa taken two picks later.
2005 - Canucks pick Luc Bourdon. Anze Kopitar taken with the next pick.
2011 - Canucks pick Joe Labate. Johnny Gaudreau taken three picks later.
2014 - Canucks pick Jared McCann. David Pastrnak taken with the next pick.
2014 - Canucks pick Jake Virtanen. William Nylander and Nikolaj Ehlers taken 2 and 3 picks later.
2016 - Canucks pick Olli Juolevi. Matthew Tkachuk and Clayton Keller taken with the next two picks.

giphy.gif
2005 isn’t fair. Don’t know what he could’ve become.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
I remember doing something similar to this for the Edmonton Oilers a while back.

An extremely good friend of mine(who is a die hard Oiler fan)and myself put together what the team would look like if they instead selected the player that was drafted RIGHT AFTER the player the Oilers chose. It is unbelievable(obviously not taking cap into consideration).

Ill do it since the '03 draft....

Radulov - Seguin - Voracek
Landeskog - Eichel - Toffoli
Pacioretty - Kesler - Arvidsson
Bennett - Coleman - Bjorkstrand
Stempniak

Ekholm - Ristolainen
Murray - Ellis
Connauton - Murphy

Schneider
Crawford

*there are a few others too like William Carrier, Chris Wagner, Jonas Enroth and Calvin Pickard just to name a few

That is amazing! What a team! The only difference I'd make is keep McDavid and through out Eichel. Incredible misses! What could every team show for their missed draft choices!?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad