Just Missed - Your teams big miss just shortly after their pick?

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
I just spent some time looking back at previous drafts looking at who we missed. Meaning your team picks a player in the draft and shortly thereafter another team drafts a franchise player. What was your teams just miss?!

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Milan Lucic. We picked Ben Maxwell 49th.
Johnny Gaudreau. We picked Josiah Didier 97th from the same league.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
1979 - Canucks pick Ken Ellacott. Mark Messier taken with the next pick.
1984 - Canucks pick Jeff Korchinski. Brett Hull taken two picks later.
1985 - Canucks pick Troy Gamble. Joe Nieuwendyk taken two picks later.
1986 - Canucks pick Dan Woodley. Brian Leetch taken two picks later.
1990 - Canucks pick Petr Nedved. Jaromir Jagr taken three picks later.
1990 - Canucks pick Shawn Antoski. Keith Tkachuk, Martin Brodeur taken with the next two picks.
1993 - Canucks pick Mike Wilson. Saku Koivu taken with the next pick.
1997 - Canucks pick Brad Ference. Marian Hossa taken two picks later.
2005 - Canucks pick Luc Bourdon. Anze Kopitar taken with the next pick.
2011 - Canucks pick Joe Labate. Johnny Gaudreau taken three picks later.
2014 - Canucks pick Jared McCann. David Pastrnak taken with the next pick.
2014 - Canucks pick Jake Virtanen. William Nylander and Nikolaj Ehlers taken 2 and 3 picks later.
2016 - Canucks pick Olli Juolevi. Matthew Tkachuk and Clayton Keller taken with the next two picks.

giphy.gif

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I think this is only interesting if that particular missed player was also a logical/possible choice.

Things like Hickey before Voracek, Brian Lee instead of Kopitar or this past example of Pearson instead of all those others.

I mean, I can name a ton of misses as well but honestly cant blame any GM/scouts for it.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015

Magnus Hellberg at #38. John Gibson went #39.
Josh Shalla at #94. JG Pageau went #96.

Mikko Vainonen #118. Jaccob Slavin #120.

Jonathan Diaby #64. Brett Pesce #66.

To think that last season we could've had a defense of

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Subban
Slavin-Pesce

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Like in 2015 Arizona picking Dylan Strome (18 NHL games) 3rd and two picks later is Noah Hanifin (230 NHL games).
or in the same draft
Tampa Bay picks 33rd and chooses Mitchell Stephens 33rd and at 35 Carolina picks Sebastian Aho.

Yes there are plenty of these but some could have changed the direction of the entire franchise!

How can you say those teams regret those picks already when those players are in their first year as pro's? Strome can still become a low end 1C or top 2C and Arizona could be very happy with that. Stephens was an AHL all star this year and still has middle 6 upside, lots of potential left. I highly doubt Aho would've gotten top 6 minutes in Tampa either right away, he would've spent time in the AHL at first and had to earn a spot, not all situations are the same.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Like in 2015 Arizona picking Dylan Strome (18 NHL games) 3rd and two picks later is Noah Hanifin (230 NHL games).
or in the same draft
Tampa Bay picks 33rd and chooses Mitchell Stephens 33rd and at 35 Carolina picks Sebastian Aho.

Yes there are plenty of these but some could have changed the direction of the entire franchise!
The number and talent of players Arizona passed on to take Strome is ridiculous.
That top 10 in '15 could be crazy and Strome would stand out like a sore thumb.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I think this is only interesting if that particular missed player was also a logical/possible choice.

Things like Hickey before Voracek, Brian Lee instead of Kopitar or this past example of Pearson instead of all those others.

I mean, I can name a ton of misses as well but honestly cant blame any GM/scouts for it.
Sure, this exercise will not look good for any team if you want to audit all of their picks in hind sight.
But, keep in mind that GM's/scouting staffs are supposed to know better and not make these mistakes.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Sure, this exercise will not look good for any team if you want to audit all of their picks in hind sight.
But, keep in mind that GM's/scouting staffs are supposed to know better and not make these mistakes.
The example you gave, absolutely.

Maxwell instead of 19 points Lucic in the second round, no that is not a mistake.

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
Picking 11th at 2015 draft Panthers wanted Mikko Rantanan, even trying to trade up a couple spots to get him. When he was still available with one pick to go, majority of mocks had the Avs takin Lawson Crouse, fans thought for sure they were getting Mikko.

Oh well.

Turned Crouse into low key one of the best trades this franchise has ever made.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
The example you gave, absolutely.

Maxwell instead of 19 points Lucic in the second round, no that is not a mistake.
To expand upon the theme of understanding the pick a team made, I present you with the 2014 draft.
Nick Ritchie is a big, rugged winger that seemed perfect for the Leafs. A team that was trying to get bigger and tougher and he was on the board. A local kid, he seemed like he was destined to be a Leaf.
Somewhat out of the blue, the Leafs opted to take William Nylander. Clearly the better choice.

It was also the moment I knew the Leafs weren't going to be the same old Leafs. It marked a clear change in philosophy.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
1990 - Canucks pick Shawn Antoski. Keith Tkachuk, Martin Brodeur taken with the next two picks.
2014 - Canucks pick Jake Virtanen. William Nylander and Nikolaj Ehlers taken 2 and 3 picks later.
2016 - Canucks pick Olli Juolevi. Matthew Tkachuk and Clayton Keller taken with the next two picks.

giphy.gif

oh man I forgot you had 2 picks in the 2014 draft and 2 pretty big misses imagine Nylander/Ehlers & Pastrnak holy shit, that sucks ended up great for the leafs (likely jets think the same too) though.

Oh well made up for it and then some with pick #5 2017 draft!. I bet in the future this thread will have "pick 4 makar very next pick pettersson" as an example

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England

giphy.gif
2016 is still undecided but the rest :eek:

Love

Feb 29, 2012

giphy.gif

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought "Hey look a Canucks draft history thread"

Also could add:

2011 - Canucks pick Nicklas Jensen. Rickard Rakell taken with the next pick.

Reactions: Nakunako

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
oh man I forgot you had 2 picks in the 2014 draft and 2 pretty big misses imagine Nylander/Ehlers & Pastrnak holy ****, that sucks ended up great for the leafs (likely jets think the same too) though.

Oh well made up for it and then some with pick #5 2017 draft!. I bet in the future this thread will have "pick 4 makar very next pick pettersson" as an example
Makar is pretty damn good...

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Wings might still be a playoff team today had they drafted Ryan O'Reilly instead of Landon Ferraro.

But really, Wings have drafted fairly well.

Interesting how few NHLers are taken the pick after Detroit picks.
Ferraro/OReilly was the only one I could find scanning 12 years of drafts

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
:habs

2010: Trade up from 27 to 22 and take Jarred Tinordi. Evgeny Kuznetsov taken at 26.

2013: Mike McCarron at 25. Shea Theodore taken next at 26.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
These are probably the only blunders in the 21st century for Chicago so far.

2004 (the worst offender) Chicago picks Cam Barker 3rd overall. The next two picks are Andrew Ladd and Blake Wheeler.

2005 Chicago picks Mike Blunden 43rd overall. The next pick, Colorado takes Paul Stastny.

2008 Chicago picks Kyle Beach 11th overall. (a bit of a stretch) 4 picks later, Ottawa takes Erik Karlsson.

2011 Chicago picks Mark McNeill 18th overall. The next pick, Edmonton takes Oscar Klefbom.
Also 2011, Chicago picks Adam Clendening 36th overall. The next pick, Columbus takes Boone Jenner.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Picking 11th at 2015 draft Panthers wanted Mikko Rantanan, even trying to trade up a couple spots to get him. When he was still available with one pick to go, majority of mocks had the Avs takin Lawson Crouse, fans thought for sure they were getting Mikko.

Oh well.

Turned Crouse into low key one of the best trades this franchise has ever made.

Wait what? How is that trade > Mikko Rantanen??

Reactions: Nakunako

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
To expand upon the theme of understanding the pick a team made, I present you with the 2014 draft.
Nick Ritchie is a big, rugged winger that seemed perfect for the Leafs. A team that was trying to get bigger and tougher and he was on the board. A local kid, he seemed like he was destined to be a Leaf.
Somewhat out of the blue, the Leafs opted to take William Nylander. Clearly the better choice.

It was also the moment I knew the Leafs weren't going to be the same old Leafs. It marked a clear change in philosophy.

If you actually watched Ritchie/Nylander in their draft year, it wasn’t even a comparison on who would be the better prospect. I and many other Leaf fans were saying take Nylander or Ehlers at 8 when both were still there, if they had of taken Ritchie, I think Leafs fans would have freaked.

Reactions: Elf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad