Confirmed with Link: June 2016: Flyers Sign Radko Gudas To Multi-Year Extension

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
Gudas was not a FA

Good point... that definitely does change things. You probably can't use that as a good baseline then. Having said that, I don't think you can use what is widely considered one of the worst contracts in the league (Macdonald) as a baseline either.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
In 14-15 he produced offensively and struggled defensively. This season he was solid defensively with little offensive production. Let's see what guy we get this year.

He took on a harder role once Ghost was brought up.

At some point Ghost is going to get harder competition and zone starts and we'll have 'wtf is wrong with Ghost?' threads after he's already making $5M when Provorov and Sanheim need the easier minutes.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
MDZ being resigned or not will be entirely contingent on how many of our young d-men are stepping up knocking on the door.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

At some point Ghost is going to get harder competition and zone starts and we'll have 'wtf is wrong with Ghost?' threads after he's already making $5M when Provorov and Sanheim need the easier minutes.
Maybe, but will Gostisbehere's scoring rate be below Nick Schultz's? MDZ was one of the worst ES point producers in the entire league. His production on the PP was way down as well, so we can't blame the competition there. I get it, he played tougher minutes but he's too talented for that to happen. That's why I'm saying let's see what guy shows up this year.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Yeah, I'm expecting a sophomore decline in points but the key for his production will be to reinvigorate the PP so it isn't so woefully telegraphed. As you alluded to, though, this is probably a good problem to have since teams that focus on shutting down Gostisbehere will leave easier competition for Provorov, Sanheim, etc. as they join the team.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't think there will ever be a time when Ghost is getting hard minutes to protect Provorov... I think you have that backwards.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Maybe, but will Gostisbehere's scoring rate be below Nick Schultz's? MDZ was one of the worst ES point producers in the entire league. His production on the PP was way down as well, so we can't blame the competition there. I get it, he played tougher minutes but he's too talented for that to happen. That's why I'm saying let's see what guy shows up this year.

I thought he was dealing with a wrist issue all season and it finally got to the point after a hit that he had to get the surgery. He didn't have that blast coming down the wall like he did the season before.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What I'm curious about is if the Gudas offensive resurgence was a fluke, or just a guy developing confidence in his shot from the point. He showed a knack at getting the puck on net through traffic.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What I'm curious about is if the Gudas offensive resurgence was a fluke, or just a guy developing confidence in his shot from the point. He showed a knack at getting the puck on net through traffic.

He did have 22 points one year with Tampa.

I think it all depends who his partner is.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Hold on, I have to check and see what his stats were when he was 17, that's the only reliable predictor of future production. :popcorn:

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
I don't think there will ever be a time when Ghost is getting hard minutes to protect Provorov... I think you have that backwards.

You don't think that Gostisbehere would be getting higher-pairing minutes than Provorov when the latter first joins the team?? I'd think it would be a near sure thing, given the cautioun Hextall has preached with the prospects. I don't care about Provorov's sky-high potential; the first couple of games he steps onto NHL ice should be as a third-pairing defenseman.

And I'm not framing this as Gost being used to protect Provorov; Gost has demonstrated that he can play in the NHL and he deserves more overall ice time until Provorov shows what he can do against NHL competition.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You don't think that Gostisbehere would be getting higher-pairing minutes than Provorov when the latter first joins the team?? I'd think it would be a near sure thing, given the cautioun Hextall has preached with the prospects. I don't care about Provorov's sky-high potential; the first couple of games he steps onto NHL ice should be as a third-pairing defenseman.

I think Provorovs defense is already better than Ghost's, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him get harder minutes, even if he gets less total minutes. Ghost's offense is what we need, no use in using him defensively when we have better defensive players who can match up against the opponent best.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
I think Provorovs defense is already better than Ghost's, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him get harder minutes, even if he gets less total minutes. Ghost's offense is what we need, no use in using him defensively when we have better defensive players who can match up against the opponent best.

Yeah, I am not at all talking about specifically using Gostisbehere for tougher defensive assignments. I agree with you that Provorov's defense projects to be much better than Gostisbehere's. However, I fully believe that there is a "prove it" period when any player in his first couple of games needs to be on a lower pairing / line just to be able to adapt to the speed and style of NHL play. Since Gostisbehere has a season under his belt, he will be on a higher pairing, which will almost certainly mean playing against tougher opponents. Come November, we will probably see – I hope! – tougher defensive assignments for Provorov. Assuming he makes the Flyers this coming season, of course.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Yeah, I am not at all talking about specifically using Gostisbehere for tougher defensive assignments. I agree with you that Provorov's defense projects to be much better than Gostisbehere's. However, I fully believe that there is a "prove it" period when any player in his first couple of games needs to be on a lower pairing / line just to be able to adapt to the speed and style of NHL play. Since Gostisbehere has a season under his belt, he will be on a higher pairing, which will almost certainly mean playing against tougher opponents. Come November, we will probably see – I hope! – tougher defensive assignments for Provorov. Assuming he makes the Flyers this coming season, of course.

If there is a prove point of time. I think Provorov will do it quickly. The kid is already built for the NHL. I don't think he'll be muscled off very easily like younger kids do. Plus he's ridiculously smart and thinks the game way ahead and if anything, he'll just go through you or around you.

edit: For next year, the "shut down" will most likely be a Schultz/MDZ/Gudas combo if its late in the game.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I see what you mean. Yep, that makes sense.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Even before last night he was living up to the contract, but that little offensive explosion means he's now averaging 20 points per 82 games as a Flyer, with almost no PP time.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...r=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists

In 14-15 he produced offensively and struggled defensively. This season he was solid defensively with little offensive production. Let's see what guy we get this year.

Your MDZ skepticism looks very prescient.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
SORRY IF THE BUMP GIVES ANYONE A HEART ATTACK!

There was a new short interview with Gudas at sport.cz, in just a few answers he claimed he is sad hockey is not as hard as it used to be :) Rough translation below

Q: On Saturady you have made an important step towards the play offs when defeating the Bruins. Do you feel like being in already? V sobotu jste udělali hodně důležitý krok k postupu výhrou nad Bostonem. Cítíte, že už to máte v kapse?
A: Officialy we are not celebrating anything yet - but we have known that if we defeat the Bruins, advancing to the play offs is very likely. It's not 100% certainty yet but Florida would need to win all of their five games and we would have lose everything we could. I think boys subconciously know the win meant play offs for us. Maybe there will be a little bit of time to celebrate but now we have to focus on the Islanders with whom we play on Tuesday. Oficiálně ještě neslavíme, ale věděli jsme, že když porazíme Bruins, tak už to play off snad máme. Není to stoprocentní, ale Florida by musela vyhrát pět zápasů a my všechno prohrát. Myslím si, že naši kluci podvědomě vědí, že ta výhra pro nás znamená play off. Na nějakou oslavu snad vyjde chvilka, teď ale ne, v úterý hrajeme s Islanders.

Q: Did you pay a lot of attenion to Florida who is the only team to watch out for right now? Sledovali jste hodně, jak si vede Florida, která vás jako jediná ještě může ohrozit?
A: More than anything we have focused on ourselves. Only relying on others could be dangerous because we might not get into shape then - and we would get kicked out of the play offs real fast. That's why the coach kept telling us to focus on our own performace. Honestly, guys did watch the Jersey trip on the West coast anyway. The end of the regular season is very difficult for Florida, 2 more games with Boston coming up, which must be hard on them. On the other hand, we have known our schedule is favorable. Spíš jsme se soustředili na sebe. Kdybychom to nechávali na ostatních, tak by se nám to nemuselo vyplatit, protože bychom se nemuseli dostat do stoprocentní formy na play off a pak bychom asi rychle vyletěli. Takže nám trenér vtloukal do hlavy, abychom si dávali pozor na vlastní výkon. Všichni ale stejně koukali, jak se bude dařit New Jersey na západním pobřeží. Florida má hrozně těžký konec sezóny, hraje ještě dvakrát s Bostonem, takže pro ně je to docela záhul. My naopak věděli, že máme docela dobré rozlosování.

Q: You have encoutnered a lot of barriers during the regular season: 10 games losing streak, ong term injuries to both starting goalies. However you are sill in play offs position. Would you say these issues made the team stronger? Během základní části vás potkávaly jobovky: série 10 porážek, pak dlouhodobá zranění obou gólmanů. Přesto jste na pozicích pro play off. Cítíte, že tyto problémy tým posílily?
A: Definitely. There are a few guys who are unfortunately in the press box right now but whenever they played, we have all seen they are NHL level players. Anyone could see how strong the team got immediately after the losing streak - we pushed harder, after Christmas our results were among the best in the league and in February we almost did not lose. It was great to see how the team started to pull for each other even more afterwards. We have got a lot of young guys here and that helped us. The youngsters saw the right direction we should go and we have benefited from that. That has definitely made us stronger. Stoprocentně. Máme tu pár kluků, co teď bohužel nehrají, ale když zaskakovali, tak viděli, že na NHL mají. Síla týmu po těch deseti porážkách byla vidět hned, kdy jsme se do toho pustili a po Vánocích jsme měli jednu z nejlepších bilancí, třeba v únoru jsme skoro neprohrávali. Bylo pěkné vidět, jak jsme se dali dohromady. Tím, že máme hodně mladých hráčů, tak nám to i prospělo. Ti mladší viděli, jakým směrem je potřeba jít. Udělalo nás to silnější.

Q: Are you all a bit more responsible now that you have got a new goalie in Petr Mrazek? Jste i kvůli Petrovi Mrázkovi, který přišel jako nový gólman do týmu, zodpovědnější?
A: The GM doesn't consult who to trade for with us. A player can only hope the GM trades for someone you know better, someone you know is a good guy. This is exactly Petr's case. We were lucky he was on his way out of Detroit. It's great when we can all just sit down, me, Neuvy (Neuvirth) and Voras (Voracek) after the game and see what we could do differently. Manažer se s námi neradí, koho vzít. Člověk může jen doufat, že je to třeba někdo, koho zná, a je to dobrej kluk. Což v Petrově případě vyšlo skvěle. Měli jsme štěstí, že byl na odchodu z Detroitu. Je to super, když si můžeme sednout všichni Češi i s Neuvym (Michalem Neuvirthem) a Vorasem (Jakubem Voráčkem) po zápase a probrat to.

Q: The Flyers have quite a few very young defensemen. Do you feel as a mentor to them? Ve Flyers máte hodně mladé beky, cítíte, že pro ně fungujete jako mentor?
A: I am feeling old, you are right (laughter). We talked a bit with the head coach about how it well be necessary to help the young guys. It won't be easy for some of them, first NHL season and play offs already, a lot will be asked from them there. But they will be alright. They have to get used to the fact they are playing in the best league in the world. I am already the second oldest defenseman on the roster. But I simply like the way this team was put together. Cítím se starej, je to tak. (směje se) Bavili jsme se s trenérem, že bude potřeba těm mladým pomoct. Pro některé to nebude jednoduché. První sezóna v NHL a rovnou do play off, kde se od nich bude chtít hodně. Ale oni to zvládají. Musí si zvyknout, že je to nejlepší liga světa. Už to tak vychází, že jsem tu druhý nejstarší obránce. Mně se ale líbí, jak je ten tým poskládaný.

Q: In the past few months you have noticeably taken the foot of the gas, you used to play a harder hitting game that brought you a lot of respect from the opponents - but also brought you a few suspensions. Have you been asked to do that by the coach? V posledních měsících jste dost ubral ze svého nekompromisního stylu, kterým jste si zjednal respekt, ale také vysloužil několik suspendací. Je to požadavek kouče?
A: Hockey is changing and I need to gchange too if I want to stay in the NHL. I am quite sorry that hockey is not as hard as it used to be, but the young guys coming to the league never know who hits them next moment. And that is difficult for me. For example Hartnell recenty hit Antipin from Buffalo behind the net - and Antipin had to be taken away on the stretcher. Five or ten years ago there is no way a young boy would just turn like that. Hartnell shouldn't have hit him fromm behind but the Dman could do more to protect himself. There are two ways to look at it. Now that I am on the first PK line I need to pay a lot more attention because getting penalized there wouldn't help the team at all. It was easier when I entered the league, guys around were 6'5 but they knew how to protect themselves. Hokej se mění a já se musím změnit s ním, jestli chci v NHL zůstat. Mrzí mě, že už hokej není tak tvrdý, ale ti mladí hráči, co do ligy přicházejí, někdy nečekají, že je někdo atakuje. A pro mě je to pak těžké. Nedávno třeba Hartnell trefil za brankou Antipina z Buffala, který skončil na nosítkách. To by se před pěti deseti lety nestalo, aby se ten kluk takhle otočil. Hartnell ho neměl trefit zezadu, ale ten obránce se mohl mnohem víc chránit. Na to existuje dvojí pohled. Tím, že jsem se dostal do první obrany na oslabení, tak musím dávat bacha, protože na trestné lavici týmu nepomůžu. Pro mě bylo určitě jednodušší, když jsem přišel do ligy a ti kluci byli dvoumetroví, ale všichni se uměli chránit.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
He's turning into our worst defenseman. Brutal turnovers and passes right onto other teams sticks. Almost liking Manning more these days. Yeah, I wrote it.

Nothing wrong at all with saying that. Come on over from the Dark Side, my friend.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Gudas is one of the biggest dissapointments of the season without a doubt.

From guys like Lehterä, MacDonald or Manning I don't expect much but what Gudas sometimes did is beyond ridiculous. He should be, by now, the steady veteran right-handes influence on Sanheims side but instead he is a living turnover machine on the 3rd pairing.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Radko's been a good soldier for the team. He's having a down year, but it's not that terrible. Playing with Brandon Manning hasn't done him any favors.

Everyone has off-years; most of the team was off last season and they all rebounded. He's overqualified to be a bottom pair guy, every team in the league has someone worse.

That said, it's possible the Flyers got the best years of his career already, and got them on a pretty decent price. If moving him would clear a spot for Morin to play next year, I'd go for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad