Confirmed with Link: June 2016: Flyers Sign Radko Gudas To Multi-Year Extension

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
If Hextall gets rid of MacDonald next year and Streit this year, nobody even gives a crap about the extra year or extra half mil.

But we have to wait and see on that.

Independent of this deal, I think this is a very dangerous attitude and one of the biggest problems in the Holmgren era. I hope Hextall wouldn't agree with this sentiment. Giving every player an extra million or an extra year or an NTC or an NMC just to get a deal done is exactly how you get stuck with a lot of dead cap space.

Again, I think this case, the deal for Gudas was pretty much market value/length for a player in his situation. No Hextall miracle work, no Holmgren "doh" moments. My point is that every single deal needs to be made on its own merits, not just some attitude that says "This will look a lot better if we get rid of this other mistake deal or have an ELC up." That kind of attitude is kind of how you can end up with those mistake deals.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why are people saying a year too long? These are Gudas' absolute prime years on this contract.

Yeah I find that odd too. He will be 29 in his last year of the contract. Plus, if Myers is ready earlier, Gudas can be easily traded....I am assuming Ghost and Sanheim will have passed him on the depth chart so he will be the 3rd pairing D by then.

What Gudas also does is allow those others to get less physical minutes/players. Glad he is signed.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Yeah I find that odd too. He will be 29 in his last year of the contract. Plus, if Myers is ready earlier, Gudas can be easily traded....I am assuming Ghost and Sanheim will have passed him on the depth chart so he will be the 3rd pairing D by then.

What Gudas also does is allow those others to get less physical minutes/players. Glad he is signed.

Yep. And it also allows more of our youngsters to play their natural LD position as well

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
a) I think it's a really good deal as per the length & $$$
b) Also if the young guys really all develop well I think we'd be able to move Gudas [IF NECESSARY] and get a good return if we need to make room in a few years...

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Gudas imo is tradeable throughout his entire contract. He is a ideal playoff d.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011

I think the more interesting question will be how this impacts what happens with Del Zotto in terms of the type of offer/length Hextall is willing to go.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Independent of this deal, I think this is a very dangerous attitude and one of the biggest problems in the Holmgren era. I hope Hextall wouldn't agree with this sentiment. Giving every player an extra million or an extra year or an NTC or an NMC just to get a deal done is exactly how you get stuck with a lot of dead cap space.

Again, I think this case, the deal for Gudas was pretty much market value/length for a player in his situation. No Hextall miracle work, no Holmgren "doh" moments. My point is that every single deal needs to be made on its own merits, not just some attitude that says "This will look a lot better if we get rid of this other mistake deal or have an ELC up." That kind of attitude is kind of how you can end up with those mistake deals.

I think this deal is perfectly fine. But the masses seem to think its an overpayment slightly.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think the more interesting question will be how this impacts what happens with Del Zotto in terms of the type of offer/length Hextall is willing to go.

I don't think MDZ gets a long term deal here, but I think a lot of that will be decided by how the kids play this year.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

I think Del Zotto may be gone, unless MacDonald is off the books.

No way Hextall does 5MM for MacDonald, 3.35 for Gudas and probably what will be 6MM for DelZotto.

There may be a possibility that DelZotto is a casualty because of MacDonald.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

No way Hextall does 5MM for MacDonald, 3.35 for Gudas and probably what will be 6MM for DelZotto.

Ugh. That would be such a bummer. I really like MDZ.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Gudas is our only RHD. Him signing should have no impact on MDZ. The Flyers playing well WITHOUT MDZ will have a much bigger impact....as well as all the LHD prospects on the cusp of joining us.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
gudas is the ****ing man. more than happy to have this guy on our blueline for years to come.

i'll be buying his jersey now.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
All for it. solid. Maybe a year too long but I won't complain. I see the word fair a lot. I agree. Fair deal.

Gudas just turned 26 earlier this month. He will be 29 in the last year of his contract. The deal definitely isn't 1 year too long.

explosive skating

Jul 5, 2015

Giving MDZ 6M a year would be insane. There is no way he is worth that. Yandle has just got 6.35M. Ok he developed his two-way game last season but I wouldn't call it outstanding. He was a minus player too.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I don't think that's right, mate. Over on the main board the overwhelming majority of neutrals (even smug Penguins fans) are saying this is a good deal.

We are probably just seeing different people.lol

Twitter people seem to be unhappy a bit. Masses was probably the wrong word, my mistake.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Giving MDZ 6M a year would be insane. There is no way he is worth that. Yandle has just got 6.35M. Ok he developed his two-way game last season but I wouldn't call it outstanding. He was a minus player too.

You think MDZ is going to take 5 or 5.5 when he watches that make believe NHL player MacDonald suit?

The D-market is insane, there is a chance he will be overpaid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad