Confirmed with Link: June 2016: Flyers Sign Radko Gudas To Multi-Year Extension

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gudas may need time to adjust, he really has an old school mentality (he shouldn't skate with his head down, it's not my fault I deliberately drove him head first into the boards).

People knock Hagg, but he was leading the league in hits and rarely drew a penalty, which does show how well he was coached, he knows what's clean and what will draw the ref's attention.

That's what Gudas has to learn, but I'm not sure he's smart enough, the fact that he confers with Voracek after games, "the blind leading the blind."
Gudas without hitting is a limited player. It was his ability to slobber-knock entries that made people pull up at the blue line.
He's not a great skater or puck handler, he can get the puck on net from the point, but not much else.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I think that gudas still doesn’t fully understand his role and how to get the most out of his game. He should be a dominant complementary stay at home defender who allows offensive guys to do their thing. However it seems that he makes stupid gambles and chases guys and tries to be more offensive when paired with guys like ghost rather then pulling Hagg and referring everything to the other guy.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Not sure it’s that simple. Gudas is the only natural RD they have.

Ideally, I want to somehow move on from AMac, but I can't say I see that coming in the next offseason. The question becomes fit vs. talent. If Hinkie taught us anything, fit < talent

It would all be much simpler if AMac and Gudas were traded, as that opens a spot for Myers and Morin, but I don't see Hextall running with (age as of start of 18-19): Ghost (25), Provorov (21), Sanheim (22), Hagg (23), Morin (22), Myers (21). That'd be the dream, but it will probably remain a dream until 19-20.

Reactions: FlyersMania2

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I said before that Myers would be the eventual replacement for Gudas. And I don't think it happens until next summer. Trading Fudas with 1 year left on his deal will still give us good value for him.

Reactions: FlyTimmo

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Gudas may need time to adjust, he really has an old school mentality (he shouldn't skate with his head down, it's not my fault I deliberately drove him head first into the boards).

People knock Hagg, but he was leading the league in hits and rarely drew a penalty, which does show how well he was coached, he knows what's clean and what will draw the ref's attention.

That's what Gudas has to learn, but I'm not sure he's smart enough, the fact that he confers with Voracek after games, "the blind leading the blind."
Gudas without hitting is a limited player. It was his ability to slobber-knock entries that made people pull up at the blue line.
He's not a great skater or puck handler, he can get the puck on net from the point, but not much else.

Hagg hits because he is incapable of doing anything else. His puck skills are in general subpar and it is more effective for him to engage the opposition physically instead of failing at stick-on-puck defense. Which is fine, in a bottom pair role.

Gudas is similar in that he really doesn't have good puck skills, probably worse than Hagg in fact. If Gudas isn't being physical he is going to get burned in stick-on-puck situations. Unless Gudas can correctly balance the line between physical and reckless than he doesn't have a future with the team.

Maybe you're right and Gudas needs time to adjust, but I wonder how long that process will be. He is only signed for 2 additional year and Myers will almost certainly be ready for a sizable NHL role by that time. Is it worth going through another bad Gudas year if we aren't going to resign him anyway? Hard to say.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Haggs has like 4 or 5 real hits his year, but typically they’re weak little bumps that add up but make no difference at all.

Certainly not enough to keep him in the NHL, since its the only thing he provides.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vikke

Cekmate

Nov 4, 2013
North Philadelphia
Morin really should have played over Hagg from the start IMO. I firmly believe Hak went with Hagg because he has a more two way skillset, while Morin is viewed as strictly a stay at home guy. Coach loves his offensive guys.

Reactions: freakydallas13

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Not sure it’s that simple. Gudas is the only natural RD they have.
It depends on how Hextall views next season. If it’s another step in rebuilding, I don’t think he would care about having no righties. A team can get to the playoffs with no righties even though it would have no chance of winning it all.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Morin really should have played over Hagg from the start IMO. I firmly believe Hak went with Hagg because he has a more two way skillset, while Morin is viewed as strictly a stay at home guy. Coach loves his offensive guys.

Serious question: When was the first time anyone thought Hagg was ahead of Morin? When he made the team?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Friedman and Myers should both be ready for starting spots in 2019-20 as RHDs.
I think Gudas is safe for 2018-19 unless Hextall pulls off a trade for a young RHD.

Hogberg and Bernhardt are both lefties, so there are no other RHD prospects in the system.
Something to keep in mind on draft night.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Friedman and Myers should both be ready for starting spots in 2019-20 as RHDs.
I think Gudas is safe for 2018-19 unless Hextall pulls off a trade for a young RHD.

Hogberg and Bernhardt are both lefties, so there are no other RHD prospects in the system.
Something to keep in mind on draft night.

Friedman being NHL ready at any point is still a huge question mark

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Haggs has like 4 or 5 real hits his year, but typically they’re weak little bumps that add up but make no difference at all.

I really think the hit count is inflated by record keepers. On the 31 thoughts podcast, it was mentioned how Philadelphia was very liberal is awarding shots, but Carolina was notorious for being stingy. And an ancedote was told about how Edmenton wanted to move Dan McGillis back in the day. The operations people talked to the score keepers, and all of a sudden, McGillis was racking up hits, made him look like a bash bro for Luke Richardson. Well, lo and behold, Philly trades for him and quickly finds out he is not as physical as advertised. McGilla Gorllia he was not.

It's all silly stuff.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Robert Svehla once had the most hits (or takeaways?) in the league thanks to the Panthers recordkeepers (in their early years). I haven't understood the whole season why anyone is putting any significant weight to that number.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Ideally, I want to somehow move on from AMac, but I can't say I see that coming in the next offseason. The question becomes fit vs. talent. If Hinkie taught us anything, fit < talent

It would all be much simpler if AMac and Gudas were traded, as that opens a spot for Myers and Morin, but I don't see Hextall running with (age as of start of 18-19): Ghost (25), Provorov (21), Sanheim (22), Hagg (23), Morin (22), Myers (21). That'd be the dream, but it will probably remain a dream until 19-20.
I think most people would like to see the turnover as soon as next year but I don’t think it’s going to happen right away. Assuming Myers doesn’t start in the NHL next year and they move Gudas, that means Hagg is playing RD and that is not a good situation to be in.

It depends on how Hextall views next season. If it’s another step in rebuilding, I don’t think he would care about having no righties. A team can get to the playoffs with no righties even though it would have no chance of winning it all.

With making the playoffs this year, they aren’t going to want to take a step back next year. Now based off of this year they still believe MacDonald is a better player so that’s something, but trading Gudas before MacDonald would be a mistake. I know Gudas has had some individual gaffes lately that have stuck in people’s minds, but he’s still a good player. If you want a reason for the dropoff, look at who he has and hasn’t played with this year. Less than 20% of his 5v5 ice time has come with the top line on the ice. And I would imagine much of that was when they were [trying] to defend a lead. Compare that to MacDonald who has played more than 30% of his ice time with the top line on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad