Post-Game Talk: JUMP TO THE PUMP: Jets have gas in 5-2 win over Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Ok guys let's nip this in the bud. STOP perpetuating the "frauds" knickname !

Do you really what this to be a "thing" ? It's like getting an undesirable knickname like "stinky" "Jerks" has at least some edge to it Frauds does not
Au contraire. Need to figure out who deepthroat is. Make it a big thing so mainstream media starts looking into it.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
That's all well and good but points drive value and he's on pace to have his worst per game season in a number of years.

And yet it's leading him to have his worst season statistically in years right before he's eligible to sign his retirement deal. I mean that is certainly great for his earning potential.

At the end of the day it's a career for these guys and they want maximize the money they make. The Jets have historically and yes even this year haven't put him in a position to maximize his earnings which is in direct contrast to some other members of the team like KC and Mark.
I think the org sees him as most valuable playing on a dominant 2nd line vs soft matchups... Lowry and Schief will always draw the other team's top lines, which leaves Ehlers free to feast on 3rd and 4th lines

I'm also not sold on Ehlers' durability playing top line minutes vs other teams top D pairs every game

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Both Buchnevich and Smith have term.

Yeah and both are older inferior players with bad contracts.

It cost us a pair of 2nds for Niederreiter. Smith is a worse player with a worse contract then Nino.

In no universe do you have to part with an asset like Cole for him.

We could have him for a third but we won't want him because we can't fit a $5 million middle 6 player on this team next year.

If you are dealing Cole it's in a package to try to land Brady Tkachuk. A true first line power forward with term

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It's not about pettiness but about maximizing earnings. I'm sure his agent and he are well aware that due to usage, points have been left on the table and that will impact his next deal. To a large extent he's been sandbagged by the team with second line and second pp usage when he's clearly a top line player.

I stand by my opinion that the Jets won't pay a premium to keep him and imo that is the only way he stays.
To be fair he is a 2nd line pp on this team healthy. He deserves to be on 1st line.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
It's not about pettiness but about maximizing earnings. I'm sure his agent and he are well aware that due to usage, points have been left on the table and that will impact his next deal. To a large extent he's been sandbagged by the team with second line and second pp usage when he's clearly a top line player.

I stand by my opinion that the Jets won't pay a premium to keep him and imo that is the only way he stays.
I agree completely with your first pp. Ehlers seems like the least petty player on the team--that is partly his sanguine nature, but I also believe he gets excellent life advice from his father. But business is business and over two weeks ago I posted this opinion.

Re the last part, the ball is still in the Jets court. I don't think we have to pay him a premium to keep him. We just have to play him according to his ability and then pay him what he shows he's worth. But time is running out.

PS-For the life of me, I don't see how that assessment is being negative.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
This is just depressing. It's like the coach is watching a different game from the rest of us.

Right. First place in Western Conference. Clearly we have a coaching problem. Wait, what?!?

Weren't you on Maurice's case all year in 17-18 when we were dominating? ;) Maybe that shows that the coach can be leaving something on the table with the roster he's been handed.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
if it's the bug I've been battling all weekend they have my respect. It was all I could do to play a video game for a while. lol...
It's gotta be easy for these guys to get run down at this time of year

Lots of travel, tons of exertion, etc. I think I read somewhere that it's not uncommon for NHL players to lose 15 - 20lbs over the course of a season, and they're not coming into camp fat and out of shape like the old days. A lot of that will be lean mass

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
That's all well and good but points drive value and he's on pace to have his worst per game season in a number of years.

And yet it's leading him to have his worst season statistically in years right before he's eligible to sign his retirement deal. I mean that is certainly great for his earning potential.

At the end of the day it's a career for these guys and they want maximize the money they make. The Jets have historically and yes even this year haven't put him in a position to maximize his earnings which is in direct contrast to some other members of the team like KC and Mark.
If he feels he was shafted he'll sign somewhere else for more or even less money.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
There are always problems. Coaching was a problem for many years on this team. It isn't right now. But yeah, believe that if you like.
Yeah I don't really disagree with you. We can all pinpoint things that the coach does that we don't agree with. It's just weird that we've had combinations that have worked that we abandoned without revisiting, and we've had combinations that haven't worked that we seem focused on making work.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
This is just depressing. It's like the coach is watching a different game from the rest of us.

Weren't you on Maurice's case all year in 17-18 when we were dominating? ;) Maybe that shows that the coach can be leaving something on the table with the roster he's been handed.

@JetsFan815 doesn't give a shit if the coach makes a move and the team wins, it's still the wrong move if he doesn't like it or has a number or a chart to back up his position. Anyone disagreeing with him is a dinosaur

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Devils fan here. Just watched the entirety of your game against buffalo. Thought I would pop in and say I really like the group you have and how it’s built. Fingers crossed Vilardi can get and stay healthy. Will be pulling for you in the west. Definitely have as good a chance as anyone. Cheers. Now I will head back to the somberness of the debacle that NJ season has been hahaha.
If the devil consider moving Toffoli, I think he’d fit nicely on the Jets!!!

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree completely with your first pp. Ehlers seems like the least petty player on the team--that is partly his sanguine nature, but I also believe he gets excellent life advice from his father. But business is business and over two weeks ago I posted this opinion.

Re the last part, the ball is still in the Jets court. I don't think we have to pay him a premium to keep him. We just have to play him according to his ability and then pay him what he shows he's worth. But time is running out.

PS-For the life of me, I don't see how that assessment is being negative.

The premium was based on his usage staying the same. He'd want to be compensated more then his market value for what he's done with his current usage.

But according to the coach he was infact demoted for too much risky play as per usual so that Bones could get his safe vet out there in Namestnikov.

I really feel he may drive a lot of talent away if he stays here long term.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yeah I don't really disagree with you. We can all pinpoint things that the coach does that we don't agree with. It's just weird that we've had combinations that have worked that we abandoned without revisiting, and we've had combinations that haven't worked that we seem focused on making work.
Maybe the coaching staff and the rest of us have a different definition of "work"...

Anyway, the move today led to Names contributing on the game tying goal on the first line. Seems like the right call in retrospect

Conversely, bumping Ehlers up last game worked too

Maybe it's the making of a move that's more important than the move that was made

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

In order to balance a lineup, you'll likely always have players on a line that could play higher up the lineup -
If we forget about balance and let the best players play top line minutes so that they can pad their paycheck, you can throw the whole philosophy of a balanced lines up out the window.

I think this org is very much aware of what Ehlers is worth and will do all they can to sign him to a contract that makes everyone happy -
You can believe what you want but I don't think for a minute, that this org is sandbagging his career - they see his value.

That might not translate to top line minutes - but it might be the best way to use him. Fans, the media, and anyone who has ever held a hockey stick, will chime in with their 2 cents on how to best use this player - that will never go away and Bones couldn't care less. He has a team to coach and is doing a bang up job based on where this team sits right now and including a couple of recent, exceptional come back games.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah and both are older inferior players with bad contracts.

It cost us a pair of 2nds for Niederreiter. Smith is a worse player with a worse contract then Nino.

In no universe do you have to part with an asset like Cole for him.

We could have him for a third but we won't want him because we can't fit a $5 million middle 6 player on this team next year.

If you are dealing Cole it's in a package to try to land Brady Tkachuk. A true first line power forward with term
Buchnevich has 48pts and 191 pts in 194 gp the last three seasons. Yeah super inferior and bad contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad