Player Discussion Jujhar Khaira

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Uh, what? Are you kidding? He's not as fast as either (which isn't saying much), has a worse shot than both and worse hands than Maroon. He's been impressive for us but he'd absolutely be drowning on McDavid's wing. There's no way he'd do as well as Maroon especially did.

Khaira's role isn't likely to ever be the same as Maroon or Lucic (I think he's more valuable at center and that he probably doesn't quite have the offensive talent of either man), but he's clearly a better skater than both Maroon and Lucic. Clearly better defensively, as well.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Khaira's role isn't likely to ever be the same as Maroon or Lucic (I think he's more valuable at center and that he probably doesn't quite have the offensive talent of either man), but he's clearly a better skater than both Maroon and Lucic. Clearly better defensively, as well.

Okay, I'm going to have to watch Khaira more closely, because you're not the first person I've heard praise Khaira's skating. From what I've seen I'd say he has less top speed than Lucic and is weaker on his skates, but better edge work and slightly better acceleration. And I'd say he has worse acceleration, is weaker on his skates, has similar edgework, and poorer top speed than Maroon. At best, he's similar to them as a skater, and IMO he's still poorer than both overall, albeit slightly.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Even if he's got a slightly elevated shooting %, if he can chip in 10 goals and 20-25pts, while being physical and consistent in his effort, that's the makings of a good bottom-6 NHLer for a long time.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They offered him a 1 year deal, but if you're Pitlick and the Stars offer you a 3 year deal, you absolutely have to sign that contract.
The case with pitlick was unfortunate. He was only a UFA by nature of being injured for so much of last year (and his career). If he had played in 22 more games as an Oiler we would have still held his RFA rights. But because he hadnt hit 80 nhl games in his career he became a UFA and we lost him to the highest bidder.

Sucked the dude got hurt so much.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Okay, I'm going to have to watch Khaira more closely, because you're not the first person I've heard praise Khaira's skating. From what I've seen I'd say he has less top speed than Lucic and is weaker on his skates, but better edge work and slightly better acceleration. And I'd say he has worse acceleration, is weaker on his skates, has similar edgework, and poorer top speed than Maroon. At best, he's similar to them as a skater, and IMO he's still poorer than both overall, albeit slightly.
Does that constitute praise? Skating is clearly a weakness for both Maroon and Lucic, you could be a below average skater and still be a better skater then either of those two.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The case with pitlick was unfortunate. He was only a UFA by nature of being injured for so much of last year (and his career). If he had played in 22 more games as an Oiler we would have still held his RFA rights. But because he hadnt hit 80 nhl games in his career he became a UFA and we lost him to the highest bidder.

Indeed, especially in the year he finally "made it" in the NHL. I would love to still have him as an Oiler, but I give him props for getting that 3 year deal from Dallas.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Uh, what? Are you kidding? He's not as fast as either (which isn't saying much), has a worse shot than both and worse hands than Maroon. He's been impressive for us but he'd absolutely be drowning on McDavid's wing. There's no way he'd do as well as Maroon especially did.

I agree that JJ is a bottom 6 player but his shot is better than Maroon's IMO.....and although Lucic has a decent clapper I actually prefer JJ's shot over both Maroon and Lucic. That said he should not be anywhere near the top 6.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Guy gets some nice goals. There's something more here than a 4th liner.

To me he's similar to Kassian in that regard: he shows these bouts of tenacity and skill that suggest he's capable of being more than a 4th liner. But at the end of the day, that lack of consistency will keep him lower in the lineup.
But who knows? Maybe he's our next Horcoff (a guy who came in as an AHLer / depth forward and over time worked his way up the depth chart)? Then again, maybe he's another Lander. It's still too early to tell.
At worst, I see him as a Letestu replacement - a "swiss-army knife" player who can carve out a niche on special teams. Those are still valuable players to have.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Does that constitute praise? Skating is clearly a weakness for both Maroon and Lucic, you could be a below average skater and still be a better skater then either of those two.

I'd call it praise personally since I think both players have demonstrated an ability to keep up with NHL level speed just fine last year. This year Lucic has been bad, but I'd still say that his main issue actually hasn't been speed but rather puck skills and decision making. More speed would give him more time to make decisions and handle the puck but still.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Khaira has more offensive talent than Lucic. Lucic might have the worst hands in the league.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Khaira has more offensive talent than Lucic. Lucic might have the worst hands in the league.
Despite the absolute garbage that Milan has shown us the last couple months, I'd be willing to bet that he nearly doubles Khaira's points totals next season (and the one after that too).

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Despite the absolute garbage that Milan has shown us the last couple months, I'd be willing to bet that he nearly doubles Khaira's points totals next season (and the one after that too).

Is Lucic going to be stapled to McDavid on the top line and top PP unit?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Even if he's got a slightly elevated shooting %, if he can chip in 10 goals and 20-25pts, while being physical and consistent in his effort, that's the makings of a good bottom-6 NHLer for a long time.

The difficulty with the analysis thus far is that Khaira isn't just a bottomsix player this year. He's got healthy doses of Draisaitl for extended periods this season. if he was putting up these kind of numbers JUST on bottomsix that would be something, but it isn't the case. Unless one figures a line with an elite Center like Draisaitl is a bottomsix configuration. Because the reality is he's not going to be seeing many centers like that in bottomsix typical play. This team is just really weak roster and hurting for wingers so he got a lot of elevated looks. Good for him btw. I do feel for the most part he tried to work hard with the chances he was given. He appears to have a good work ethic and might get better. I think Drai is a good workaholic mentor for him but really a guy like Maroon probably was as well. I miss that guy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Hand eye skills really seem to have declined with Lucic. I mean he's always been clumsy and all but he seemed to have better puck control and handling years ago.

The interesting thing is if he's on the wing with the puck and given room he can get a decent shot off which is exactly how he scored. But right now his ability to even receive a pass is choppy. He got this one from Drai and managed to handle the pass but even that is like 1/3times. But if Lucic has to one time something or try for a rebound around the net forget it. His reaction time is right out to lunch. Not to speculate but its possible he's had his bell rung a few too many times and its impacted him.

Khaira is choppy too. Weird skating stride, movements and pretty typical I think of a player that got deep into hockey a bit later than typical. Those players always end up trying to catch up with finesse and don't get there. But he's willing to play a rugged game and is never going to be skating smoothly out there.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Highest bidder at 1m/yr. Something we gave old farts and has beens Jokinen and then traded for equally old fart/has been Cammillieri.

Not signing Pitlick after we all saw what he could do last year was yet another Chia mistake.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Highest bidder at 1m/yr. Something we gave old farts and has beens Jokinen and then traded for equally old fart/has been Cammillieri.

Not signing Pitlick after we all saw what he could do last year was yet another Chia mistake.
Chia has made plenty of mistakes, not giving pitlick a 3 year deal isnt one of them.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Chia has made plenty of mistakes, not giving pitlick a 3 year deal isnt one of them.

It is in my eye. He's a more effective bottom 6er than Cammy, Jokinen, Caggiulla, Slepyshev, Pakarinen and Chia was in a position to know the exact nature of Pitlick's injury and probable recovery.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

It wasn't the dollar amount but the years as many have stated. We also saw how he could get injured for 6 straight years.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I like JJ, but in no way did he make maroon expendable. Wtf.

Cheaper, better skater, just as tough, every bit as talented and with a better shot, cheaper and younger.

He's shooting 18% this year, let's all just mnaybe chill out a bit.

He has been a beast along the boards and down low. He is far more than a high shooting %.

Yeah... if we start next year with him higher than 4th line on the depth chart our gm ****ed up.

There would be nothing wrong with him on our 3rd line.

Maroon was a ****ing snail and Looch's acceleration is absolute crap. Looch might be faster at the top end but Khaira is a better skater than both. His hands IMO are comparable to Maroon's and better than Lucic's. He hasn't been give the chance to prove you right or wrong because he isn't making $6 million and he can play center and has stepped into Letestu's old spot.

That could very well be the case if we have proper coaching and Puljujarvi as well as Yamamoto step in.

Poorer top speed than Maroon? You really need to key in on him for a game and then give us your take.

I agree that JJ is a bottom 6 player but his shot is better than Maroon's IMO.....and although Lucic has a decent clapper I actually prefer JJ's shot over both Maroon and Lucic. That said he should not be anywhere near the top 6.

His shot has surprised me this season.

Well to be fair Jujhar doesn't make $6 million so I would tend to agree.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Cheaper, better skater, just as tough, every bit as talented and with a better shot, cheaper and younger.

He has been a beast along the boards and down low. He is far more than a high shooting %.

There would be nothing wrong with him on our 3rd line.

Maroon was a ****ing snail and Looch's acceleration is absolute crap. Looch might be faster at the top end but Khaira is a better skater than both. His hands IMO are comparable to Maroon's and better than Lucic's. He hasn't been give the chance to prove you right or wrong because he isn't making $6 million and he can play center and has stepped into Letestu's old spot.

That could very well be the case if we have proper coaching and Puljujarvi as well as Yamamoto step in.

Poorer top speed than Maroon? You really need to key in on him for a game and then give us your take.

His shot has surprised me this season.

Well to be fair Jujhar doesn't make $6 million so I would tend to agree.

I'm super impressed with the thoroughness of this post, just saying.

I haven't watched nearly as much this year as the state of the team has been too much for me, so I'll withhold saying more until I watch him closer. I'd be happy to be wrong. Maybe I'm remembering his earlier play too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad