Player Discussion Jujhar Khaira

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It would be pretty cool if Maroon was willing to take a Patrick Eaves type contract (3.15x3). I'd be fine giving him 3.5x3, but that would be as high as I'd go. He's a very useful player and gives us another guy who can protect pucks and score. I hope we can bring him back, but if not there could be other cheaper options out there. The biggest reason I want him back is because with Khaira emerging we get a good big puck protection winger on each line.
I would be good with a 3.25-3.5x3. I think that would be fair for both sides.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Im pretty sure Maroon is going to St-Louis[/QUOTE

Makes perfect sense if they're willing to overpay. His kid is there.

Someone is going to regret Maroon's next contract. Hopefully it's not the Oilers. When you've got the big long term contracts that are on the books there's no more room for questionable ones.

Love the player but there's no room for the overpayment that he's going to get.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Makes perfect sense if they're willing to overpay. His kid is there.

Someone is going to regret Maroon's next contract. Hopefully it's not the Oilers. When you've got the big long term contracts that are on the books there's no more room for questionable ones.

Love the player but there's no room for the overpayment that he's going to get.

Completely agreed.

Maroon is ok, but not great. $4m+ is far too much of a risk.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
For the cap, it has always looked like we needed to choose between RNH and Maroon. At the start of the season it seemed like RNH was gone. Now it seems like the only option is to keep RNH, and then just rely on our maturing wingers like Khaira, JP and Strome, and maybe banking on Yamamoto being ready next season. Or some FA winger.

Reactions: redgrant

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
For the cap, it has always looked like we needed to choose between RNH and Maroon. At the start of the season it seemed like RNH was gone. Now it seems like the only option is to keep RNH, and then just rely on our maturing wingers like Khaira, JP and Strome, and maybe banking on Yamamoto being ready next season. Or some FA winger.

Nuge cant go. Imagine McDavid broke his foot blocking that and our centre depth without nuge.

Maroon might have to go. As we've seen wingers thrive with McDavid regardless of who they are. Might very well be kharia up there in a few years if he keeps trending the right direction.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Nuge cant go. Imagine McDavid broke his foot blocking that and our centre depth without nuge.

Maroon might have to go. As we've seen wingers thrive with McDavid regardless of who they are. Might very well be kharia up there in a few years if he keeps trending the right direction.
as it is now, Maroon isn't up on that top line anymore. Personally, I like that since it's not like we have any option to move out Lucic since he's signed long term already with a full NMC. Let Lucic play with McDavid, build and maintain chemistry, and make the cap sacrifices on the other lines.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Patty's a good soldier with surprisingly good vision/hands for a man his size, but he's probably going to St. Louis in the summer and we should pass on matching.

Patty needs to make hay on his next deal and get a 4-5 year deal if he can. Can't blame him for that as this next deal is likely his last shot at a good sized deal, if he can get good money from St. Louis, he should take it.

Even 3.5 mill/year will come in handy for us when it comes to resigning Puljujarvi and Talbot.

Lucic McDavid Puljujarvi
blank Draisaitl Yamamoto
Caggiula RNH Strome
Slepyshev Khaira Kassian

Perhaps next year, and even Strome can go if he's asking for too much term.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Lucic McDavid Puljujarvi
blank Draisaitl Yamamoto
Caggiula RNH Strome
Slepyshev Khaira Kassian

Perhaps next year, and even Strome can go if he's asking for too much term.

I'd prefer to see Letestu come back for $2M. Much more comfortable with Khaira in the 3LW role than either Caggiula or Slepyshev.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well, this is the eating crow post.

Its two periods tonight and I'm not waiting. Khaira has played incredibly well in this game. Two beauty zone exits, good transitional play. looking good offensively and the filthy snipe. Really I didn't know he had that kind of shot in him. Hope to see more of this. Additionally he's made around 4 impressive offensive zone reads in this one including the play on the shortside post.

tbh I didn't like his first shift of the game where he lost two puck battles but did the kid ever turn it around in this one.

So I apologize to the board for being hard on this kid. My angst was more about Chia and shouldn't, any of it, have been directed at Khaira.

mybad

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Well, this is the eating crow post.

Its two periods tonight and I'm not waiting. Khaira has played incredibly well in this game. Two beauty zone exits, good transitional play. looking good offensively and the filthy snipe. Really I didn't know he had that kind of shot in him. Hope to see more of this. Additionally he's made around 4 impressive offensive zone reads in this one including the play on the shortside post.

I like Khaira's game, probably more than you do.

He had a good game last night but 'incredibly well' was a bit much. If anything I'd say it was one of his weaker games the last 10.

Maybe you were just momentarily blinded from finally seeing the light? :sarcasm:

Reactions: nabob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Amazing how a guy that was considered nothing more than a "fill player" with "no love", and is barely above an AHL player status, a "clumsy player flubbing perfect feeds", basically a scrub that's wasting Draisaitl's precious time and enormous talents, a non legit NHL player, to a player that plays incredibly well, making amazing zone reads and filthy snipes, all in the space of ONE game.:laugh::laugh::huh:

Can a HOF nomination be in the near future?:D

Reactions: Senor Catface

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Amazing how a guy that was considered nothing more than a "fill player" with "no love", and is barely above an AHL player status, a "clumsy player flubbing perfect feeds", basically a scrub that's wasting Draisaitl's precious time and enormous talents, a non legit NHL player, to a player that plays incredibly well, making amazing zone reads and filthy snipes, all in the space of ONE game.:laugh::laugh::huh:

Can a HOF nomination be in the near future?:D
In all honesty though that was a filthy snipe last game. Didn’t know he had that kind of shot.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
In all honesty though that was a filthy snipe last game. Didn’t know he had that kind of shot.
In fairness to me I didn't either. But Khaira, on Drai's line is getting increasingly good and seems an adept learner. I don't follow the AHL club here like some people do and so I haven't seen enough of Khaira. I was going more on his career statline. Earlier in the year I was deferring to people that had seen him play more but I started getting impatient when Khaira and Strome were both parked on Drai's line.

To me the two goals Khaira scored in Montreal were what I generally term happenchance. Mostly lucky breaks (sure being in the right place but easy goals)

Just looking through the thread people had disputed my claim that 3 of his goals were empty net goals. I didn't mean goalie pulled goals (1 was) I mean goals he scored where the goalie was not in position and he was staring at an empty cage.

So that the filthy snipe in the last game was a deal maker for me along with the other half a dozen solid plays he made. tbh on two shifts he moved the puck up ice like Draisaitl would. I had to give my head a shake and replay the plays because on two occasions I could have sworn he was Draisaitl moving the puck with authority.

Kid is learning, fast, and it appears that Draisaitl is a good tutor for him.

The thing that has amazed me most is that for the first time Khaira is bringing some consistency in his NHL game.

In anycase I had turned on the kid and so came here and admitted my comments had been unfair.

Reactions: ujju2

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
In fairness to me I didn't either. But Khaira, on Drai's line is getting increasingly good and seems an adept learner. I don't follow the AHL club here like some people do and so I haven't seen enough of Khaira. I was going more on his career statline. Earlier in the year I was deferring to people that had seen him play more but I started getting impatient when Khaira and Strome were both parked on Drai's line.

To me the two goals Khaira scored in Montreal were what I generally term happenchance. Mostly lucky breaks (sure being in the right place but easy goals)

Just looking through the thread people had disputed my claim that 3 of his goals were empty net goals. I didn't mean goalie pulled goals (1 was) I mean goals he scored where the goalie was not in position and he was staring at an empty cage.

So that the filthy snipe in the last game was a deal maker for me along with the other half a dozen solid plays he made. tbh on two shifts he moved the puck up ice like Draisaitl would. I had to give my head a shake and replay the plays because on two occasions I could have sworn he was Draisaitl moving the puck with authority.

Kid is learning, fast, and it appears that Draisaitl is a good tutor for him.

The thing that has amazed me most is that for the first time Khaira is bringing some consistency in his NHL game.

In anycase I had turned on the kid and so came here and admitted my comments had been unfair.

Nice try....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Senor Catface

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Rumored to be scratched tonight.
Him and Kassian were on the hot seat in practice with Auvitu playing wing.

Always was an issue with Khaira. Needs to string together consistency otherwise there is someone else waiting.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Him and Kassian were on the hot seat in practice with Auvitu playing wing.

Always was an issue with Khaira. Needs to string together consistency otherwise there is someone else waiting.
Tends to be an issue with most young players, period.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Tends to be an issue with most young players, period.
Sure, but when you are projected to have a career of a bottom 6 player you better figure it out sooner rather than later. Teams just aren't going to waste time developing someone that could be had on July 1st for around 1mil

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sure, but when you are projected to have a career of a bottom 6 player you better figure it out sooner rather than later. Teams just aren't going to waste time developing someone that could be had on July 1st for around 1mil

How many games has he played at this level so far?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How many games has he played at this level so far?
All year? Quite a few. Guy started out as hot garbage.

The knock on him is he hasn't been able to play 10 games without getting hurt or without a couple of stinkers.

Now that waivers come into play with him, he needs to make an impact or the team could move on like they did with Pitlick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad