Injury Report: Juhjar Khaira

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
I know we've been saying it for 10+ years now but some consistency would be nice.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This hit is difficult to judge as Trouba did nothing “wrong” but the ppoc was the head which makes is bad. Very grey to me.

It shouldn't be grey. These are the type of hits that end careers and ruin people's lives. They have to go, and it's only a matter of time before they do. It's already started with USA Hockey at the youth level.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It shouldn't be grey. These are the type of hits that end careers and ruin people's lives. They have to go, and it's only a matter of time before they do. It's already started with USA Hockey at the youth level.

I don’t disagree but it grey right now.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don't know. Not sure what else Trouba is supposed to do there. You are taught to separate the guy from the puck, and Khaira never looked up.

Just like your post in the main board thread responding to me, this is f***ing nonsense. Just like every post in this thread that you've made.

Khaira 100% looked up. The contact from Trouba's shoulder was initially made with the chin, which is what knocked Khaira out while he was still on his f***ing feet. You may need new eyes. The hit may not have been "illegal" by the specific rules of the NHL, but it was a bad f***ing hit, and exactly the type of shit the NHL "says" they're trying to eliminate from the game. This the type of hit that ends careers, and alters people's lives. It was completely unnecessary. He easily could have pulled up and laid off knowing Khaira was in a vulnerable position, but instead he drives his shoulder through his chin, and the only thought he had in his mind was to absolutely level him. He easily could have made a pokecheck there, also, knowing Khaira has no idea where the puck was as it bounced around in his feet.

And this is coming from someone who absolutely loves a big hit, and used to unleash some of the biggest hits you'd ever see in hockey.

I'm assuming you're in your 50s-60s, and you think all of Scott Stevens hits were good, clean hits too?

It seems like that's the generation that gives no f***s about these players, and the impact to their lives from some of these hits. The "Gotta keep your head up, bud!" crowd.

Last edited:

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
I think the head was hit first. That’s the type of hit that needs to go.

Broke rule number one, keep your head up. Especially on your own end of the red line. The hit is clean, no follow through on Trouba’s end. Hit center line and in the chest area, seems textbook to me. As someone who has referee experience, albeit at much lower levels of hockey my hand wouldn’t be up.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Broke rule number one, keep your head up. Especially on your own end of the red line. The hit is clean, no follow through on Trouba’s end. Hit center line and in the chest area, seems textbook to me. As someone who has referee experience, albeit at much lower levels of hockey my hand wouldn’t be up.

Then you're a terrible referee. These hits are illegal in pretty much every league outside the NHL/AHL/ECHL.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Just like your post in the main board thread responding to me, this is f***ing nonsense. Just like every post in this thread that you've made.

Khaira 100% looked up. The contact from Trouba's shoulder was initially made with the chin, which is what knocked Khaira out while he was still on his f***ing feet. You may need new eyes. The hit may not have been "illegal" by the specific rules of the NHL, but it was a bad f***ing hit, and exactly the type of shit the NHL "says" they're trying to eliminate from the game. This the type of hit that ends careers, and alters people's lives. It was completely unnecessary. He easily could have pulled up and laid off knowing Khaira was in a vulnerable position, but instead he drives his shoulder through his chin, and the only thought he had in his mind was to absolutely level him. He easily could have made a pokecheck there, also, knowing Khaira has no idea where the puck was as it bounced around in his feet.

And this is coming from someone who absolutely loves a big hit, and used to unleash some of the biggest hits you'd ever see in hockey.

I'm assuming you're in your 50s-60s, and you think all of Scott Stevens hits were good, clean hits too?

It seems like that's the generation that gives no f***s about these players, and the impact to their lives from some of these hits. The "Gotta keep your head up, bud!" crowd.
Sorry I touched a nerve. Not sure why you are so worked up about this. I mean, it sucks to see our guy get KO'd. No argument there.

That aside, I used to "unleash" hits too. And had plenty unleashed on me. And if I ever dawdled out of the zone like Khaira did, I would 100% expect a good chance of getting lit up, and deservedly so. If you played at a high level, I'm sure you agree with that.

The notion that Trouba should go for a poke check is absurd, and you know it. If he did, and missed, Gallant would be all over him about it. That's not Trouba's game.

Finally, no, I am not in my 50s-60s. Not all of Stevens' hits were clean. But I do miss more physical hockey.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sorry I touched a nerve. Not sure why you are so worked up about this. I mean, it sucks to see our guy get KO'd. No argument there.

That aside, I used to "unleash" hits too. And had plenty unleashed on me. And if I ever dawdled out of the zone like Khaira did, I would 100% expect a good chance of getting lit up, and deservedly so. If you played at a high level, I'm sure you agree with that.

The notion that Trouba should go for a poke check is absurd, and you know it. If he did, and missed, Gallant would be all over him about it. That's not Trouba's game.

Finally, no, I am not in my 50s-60s. Not all of Stevens' hits were clean. But I do miss more physical hockey.

The hit was pretty much pointless, as Khaira really didn't even have possession of the puck. It would have been more advantageous to just take the puck in that situation. The only purpose of that hit was to inflict punishment.

Like I said above, enjoy it while it lasts. Hockey(and football) have to reduce the number of concussions if the sports are going to survive. The rule changes being made at the USA Hockey level are eliminating open ice hits like this. At any level outside the North American pro level, this is a match penalty, and rightfully so.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

It touches a nerve because of CTE. I have family members that play and a son that may play(although I don't mind the idea of steering him towards baseball over hockey). The family members have had concussions without even playing in full contact hockey, yet. These types of hits absolutely need to be out of the game. He wasn't dawdling out of the zone. He was looking for a puck in his feet during a breakout. He didn't even have possession of it by the NHL standards. Look no further than Kane's offsides last week when Kaner kicked the puck to his stick as he crossed the blueline, and the goal was disallowed because it was ruled that's not "having possession".

And the poke check isn't absurd. You see it all the time when a guy loses the puck in his feet. Pay attention when players have the puck in their feet next game, and tell me how many are poked out with a stick, or they're maybe given a little shove, rather than absolutely lighting someone the f*** up.

Physical hockey is fine. Playoff hockey is generally very physical. But with what we know about brain injuries, you shouldn't expect that type of 80's or 90's brutal physical play to ever come back. Get used to guys not being lit the f*** up at full speed. It's the direction the sport is headed.

Last edited:

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
It touches a nerve because of CTE. I have a family that play and a son that will likely play. The family members have had concussions without even playing in full contact hockey, yet. These types of hits absolutely need to be out of the game. He wasn't dawdling out of the zone. He was looking for a puck in his feet during a breakout. He didn't even have possession of it by the NHL standards. Look no further than Kane's offsides last week when Kaner kicked the puck to his stick as he crossed the blueline, and the goal was disallowed because it was ruled that's not "having possession".

And the poke check isn't absurd. You see it all the time when a guy loses the puck in his feet. Pay attention when players have the puck in their feet next game, and tell me how many are poked out with a stick, or they're maybe given a little shove, rather than absolutely lighting someone the f*** up.

Physical hockey is fine. Playoff hockey is generally very physical. But with what we know about brain injuries, you shouldn't expect that type of 80's or 90's brutal physical play to ever come back. Get used to guys not being able to be absolutely lit the f*** up at full speed. It's the direction the sport is headed.
I hear you, and brain injuries are obviously always serious. But i don't see how you eliminate them from the game without fundamentally changing the rules of engagement. If they change the rules accordingly, fine. In today's game, however, I still believe the hit was clean and (at least today) the league agrees.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It's also a hit that shows ZERO respect for your opponent. Regardless of it being legal or illegal, it's a dirty f***ing hit. The purpose of this hit wasn't to separate a guy from the puck(he barely had it as it was). It was to hurt someone.

Reactions: Giovi

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I hear you, and brain injuries are obviously always serious. But i don't see how you eliminate them from the game without fundamentally changing the rules of engagement. If they change the rules accordingly, fine. In today's game, however, I still believe the hit was clean and (at least today) the league agrees.

And I'm sorry, but anyone with a brain should be worked up about this hit. It's exactly the type of hit that ruins careers and impacts lives after hockey... leading to things like depression, suicide, alcohol/drug abuse, family problems, spousal abuse, etc.

The hit may have been "clean" by the rulebooks, but it was an absolute horseshit play by Trouba with only one intended effect. To punish Khaira as much as he could.

Last edited:

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
It's a hit that ends up in the grey area. If you suspend him, it pretty much eliminates body contact moving forward. It's impossible for Trouba to not hit his chin while throwing a clean hit to separate him from the puck, because the players head is down, which you are taught not to do as a Pee-Wee player (12 yo?).

On the other hand, Trouba has zero intention of playing a puck, and knows he is about to absolutely destroy someone and possibly end their career. Guys I respect, let up in those situations, even just a little bit. But can't say it's really an illegal check. An immoral check?
I agree, players are taught to keep their head up and to separate a player from the puck however you are not taught to separate a player’s head from his body. A lot of players will take liberties when they see a guy in a vulnerable position and Trouba had no intention to play the puck and wanted to light him up

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
If its legal they may need to look at changing the rule. The poor guy looked almost dead. I love physical hockey but a line needs to be drawn on that type of contact. If a Hawk would have given that hit I would be saying the same thing.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
We do not need Rags fans chiming in here. There is a main boards thread you can interact in.

And I say this as someone who has already stated it's not an out right dirty hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00