Player Discussion Joshua Roy

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
As most of us did....it's an idiotic statement to claim that a 21 years old just entering the league has reached his ceiling lol - like go take a hike.
Yep and btw..Roy is 20 years old only.

This Summer is very important for him...I hope that he will train hard but he seems to like partying....so if he thinks that he made it....

He is strong, very good shot , awesome IQ....but my fear is that I am not sure yet that he wants to do all the details on and outside the ice to improve his play everyday.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site

This Summer is very important for him...I hope that he will train hard but he seems to like partying....so if he thinks that he made it....

He is strong, very good shot , awesome IQ....but my fear is that I am not sure yet that he wants to do all the details on and outside the ice to improve his play everyday.
What do you base this on? If anything, his trajectory over the past 3 years shows he's willing to put the work in.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
What do you base this on? If anything, his trajectory over the past 3 years shows he's willing to put the work in.
I know from inside sources..in Laval that the organization met him (Hughes, Gordon etc..) in November about his partying.

..it was not like a beer or 2 on a Friday night..

Anyhow, maybe now he decided to make some personal changes I don't know but I hope so cause I like this young player a lot

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

God damn next time at least let me have my coffee before ruining my day with statement like these

He literally went from a surefire bust that had a plethora of flaws to a defensively sound NHL player in roughly two years.

Reactions: crosbyshow

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
God damn next time at least let me have my coffee before ruining my day with statement like these

He literally went from a surefire bust that had a plethora of flaws to a defensively sound NHL player in roughly two years.
Lol, as I mentioned the organization met him in November and i hope that it had an effect on him cause the kid has talent. A very average skater but he has all the tools

Reactions: Laurentide

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Everybody likes partying at 20. I'm not sure why he would think he made it. This team, with Dach and another acquisition (I'm getting mentally prepared for the Dach/Newhook transaction of the year, here Kent Johnson) plus our top 10 selection, will add a whole high-quality line of forwards, suddenly they don't use him on the PP at all. It's going to be an uphill battle for any of our prospects and players to make the team soon enough. He also has Beck and Mesar coming his way. Ylonen/RHP is slightly more experienced, etc.

I.e., if he doesn't know he's in a highly competitive situation, he's sleeping at the wheel. His behaviour on the ice tells me he knows, and he's trying to take advantage of the small window of time he has over Beck and Mesar. The Perreault trade ain't reassuring either.

Projecting 2025-2026

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook/Celebrini - Dach/Celebrini - Johnson/Dach/Demidov
Roy - Beck/Celebrini - Mesar
Ylonen - Evans/Beck - Gallagher

Celebrini/Demidov/Lindstrom/Catton/Helenius

It's going to get tough to keep a place in this lineup; he better make it to the second line next year to have a shot at the third line long term.

Reactions: crosbyshow

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
but my fear is that I am not sure yet that he wants to do all the details on and outside the ice to improve his play everyday.

• Drafted in 5th round hit hard on his pride, had a hell of a summer to come to 1st camp, impress and be cut off very late
  • took his todo list and went to win his league scoring title next year
  • got a new todo list about two way play, again went and became a trusted two way player with his team and with team canada
  • was told AHL is a giant physical step up, again didn't disappoint,
  • NHL a monstruous step up? again he not out of place and producing

he improved every aspect in his game even his skating and speed, it is still his weakness but a lot better than it was and compensated by his numerous other skills

If anything, the will to work on his play is maybe his strongest asset

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I don’t mind the org stepping in and poking at his life habits whether or not it’s affecting him on the ice now or even a problem at all. Used to be players weren’t supported that way at all, not for the better.

My own life habits I developed younger sure caught hp to me in adulthood when responsibility and stress became daily things with my job. Went from invincible to needing tools and change. The prospect of making millions and retiring in my mid 30’s would have been plenty motivation, especially if supported and encouraged through it.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
On one hand.. he's producing very well, especially in the recent games.. and doing it with a rejuvenated Armia but still an Armia, and an out of position Newhook.

On the other hand, a friend of a friend of a HF poster said he isn't any good.
My dead grandma called me yesterday to tell me to not fol myself Wawa is not very good and his ceiling is bottom 6 on a good day.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Was your last line about the older brother of your friend as a scout or Roy as an NHLer?

Based on the evidence we've seen so far, it seems to be the former, and not the latter.
The brother of my friend is a scout for an NHL team not named Habs and is a former pro player (cup of coffee in the NHL, solid AHL career - lots of goals - and some minor league coaching experience as well) And he gave this assessment of Roy within the last couple of weeks.

There are people who think that Mailloux is going to be a top 4 defenseman and there are others who aren't sure he's even going to be a full-time NHLer and a marginal one if that. Roy mave prove his doubters wrong or he may plateau as another RHP or Hudon.

On one hand.. he's producing very well, especially in the recent games.. and doing it with a rejuvenated Armia but still an Armia, and an out of position Newhook.

On the other hand, a friend of a friend of a HF poster said he isn't any good.
He didn't say he's no good, just that he won't be a top 6 forward on a good team.

Reactions: 26Mats

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Send him down. Laval needs to make the playoffs. We've got too many guys who missed development time because of COVID that we can't be giving up significant ice time to finish 4 points higher in the NHL standings. Do a wink wink nudge nudge and leave a spot for Roy next year since it's obvious he's NHL caliber.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
The more I watch him the more fired up I get at his 2nd line potential.
Same. I've had him projected as solid middle sixer since early last year, but I'm starting to see more indications he'll be towards the upper end of that projection. I'm trying to keep my keep my expectations tame though - I've been wrong way too many times lol.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He looks like a potential upgrade on Toffoli, once he hits his peak. He's faster than Toff and had better vision. The hockey sense is off the charts like Toffoli.

Reactions: Matthew McConaughay

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
Same. I've had him projected as solid middle sixer since early last year, but I'm starting to see more indications he'll be towards the upper end of that projection. I'm trying to keep my keep my expectations tame though - I've been wrong way too many times lol.
I think, he could be another Suzuki type player.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Roy's birthday is in August, which means he's going to be a late bloomer and a bit of an outlier. Most elite level players, due to the fact that amateur hockey registration uses January 1st as the cut-off point, are born between January and April. Players born in the summer and fall are at a statistical disadvantage because they wind up playing against kids who are 6-12 months older than they are and who are more physically developed.

Unfortunately, the more developed kids get the most and best coaching which makes the separation between them and the smaller, later born kids even wider. It ends up becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. So if you have a kid who's born in the latter half of the year, hold them back a year before putting them into organized hockey. That way, your kid will have a head start in his physical development over the other kids.

Many NHL players are getting public kudos for their improved skating. Doing a bit of googling, Lafrenière is seeing more first line activity because of this improvement Ranking the NHL's top 10 most improved players of 2023-24 . There is also this thread Players that really developed their skating after being drafted , which mentions Draisaitl, Tavares, and Point.

If these elite players can do it, and skating ability is Roy's Achilles heel, HuGo need to press him on this development.
Yep, the days of slow-poke players who can score are over. You have to have a good blow of shoe to play in the pros. Everything in today's NHL happens faster and if you're slow you won't score. You just won't get opportunities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad