Player Discussion Joshua Roy

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The brother of my friend is a scout for an NHL team not named Habs and is a former pro player (cup of coffee in the NHL, solid AHL career - lots of goals - and some minor league coaching experience as well) And he gave this assessment of Roy within the last couple of weeks.

There are people who think that Mailloux is going to be a top 4 defenseman and there are others who aren't sure he's even going to be a full-time NHLer and a marginal one if that. Roy mave prove his doubters wrong or he may plateau as another RHP or Hudon.

He didn't say he's no good, just that he won't be a top 6 forward on a good team.
Worth mentioning a scout for an NHL team also posted on twitter that they though Dylan Strome would end up better then McDavid.

Being an NHL scout doesn't actually mean you are better at evaluating prospects then the average poster here as it's a job that is very much who you know. Doesn't mean he's wrong either but the appeal to authority doesn't make a lot of sense in a league filled with nepotism hires.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The brother of my friend is a scout for an NHL team not named Habs and is a former pro player (cup of coffee in the NHL, solid AHL career - lots of goals - and some minor league coaching experience as well) And he gave this assessment of Roy within the last couple of weeks.

There are people who think that Mailloux is going to be a top 4 defenseman and there are others who aren't sure he's even going to be a full-time NHLer and a marginal one if that. Roy mave prove his doubters wrong or he may plateau as another RHP or Hudon.

All true.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Roy is about to lose rookie status at game 25.

Last Habs to win the Calder;

Dryden G 72
Laperriere D 64
Rousseau RW 62
Backstrom C 57
Geoffrion RW 52
Guilty C 41

89Joshua RoyR234590

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

Scorching hot take alert. Anything is possible, we'll know in a few years. Great insight from the scouting community. "Wait and see" has been the flavor of the month for three years around here, does anyone actually have opinions anymore?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Scorching hot take alert. Anything is possible, we'll know in a few years. Great insight from the scouting community. "Wait and see" has been the flavor of the month for three years around here, does anyone actually have opinions anymore?
It's kind of ironic you're calling out "hot takes" in one part of your post, but criticizing people for taking the approach of "wait and see" in favor of...hot takes?

Opinions? Everyone has them, that's not lacking in our society today...having informed opinions?

Now that's a whole other debate and unfortunately, when it comes to prospects, often requires the "wait and see" approach.

Maybe we just shouldn't be in such a rush to reach conclusions?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
It's kind of ironic you're calling out "hot takes" in one part of your post, but criticizing people for taking the approach of "wait and see" in favor of...hot takes?

Opinions? Everyone has them, that's not lacking in our society today...having informed opinions?

Now that's a whole other debate and unfortunately, when it comes to prospects, often requires the "wait and see" approach.

Maybe we just shouldn't be in such a rush to reach conclusions?
I'm joking because that was obviously the most lukewarm take of all time.

"He might be good or he might not" serves almost zero value to anyone. Tell my why he might be good or why he might not be, otherwise we shouldn't even employ a scouting department and we should just pick names out of a hat.

Got a text from my friend's grandmother, she said Caufield might score 50 next year but provided the caveat that he also might not. Thought I would share. Thoughts?

Reactions: 417

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
On one hand.. he's producing very well, especially in the recent games.. and doing it with a rejuvenated Armia but still an Armia, and an out of position Newhook.

On the other hand, a friend of a friend of a HF poster said he isn't any good.
Last evening I mentioned how Roy is better at execution than the majority of our players.
His IQ was immediately brought up but that wasn't really what I was referring to at all.
I see plenty of players who interpret the play correctly but simply can't execute it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

"He might be good or he might not" serves almost zero value to anyone. Tell my why he might be good or why he might not be, otherwise we shouldn't even employ a scouting department and we should just pick names out of a hat.

Got a text from my friend's grandmother, she said Caufield might score 50 next year but provided the caveat that he also might not. Thought I would share. Thoughts?
Fair...I missed the context of why you were saying that, my bad.

I do agree that it can't just all be "wait and see", you gotta be willing to put your take out there too.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Last evening I mentioned how Roy is better at execution than the majority of our players.
His IQ was immediately brought up but that wasn't really what I was referring to at all.
I see plenty of players who interpret the play correctly but simply can't execute it.

Young Roy looks a lot like young Suzuki, not fleet of foot but always in a good position and high iq/execution like you said.

I think he’s poised to have a pretty solid year next year.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
There were a couple plays last night where you just wish he was faster. He's so smart at finding open space but unfortunately the defensemen caught up to him or closed the gap so fast he couldn't make a play.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
MTL luck, everytimes our young players get hurts.....I'm guessing Slafkovski is next.

Reactions: Wats

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
It is probably Roy's hand after this block not his foot like Priyanta said in her tweet

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
On one hand.. he's producing very well, especially in the recent games.. and doing it with a rejuvenated Armia but still an Armia, and an out of position Newhook.

On the other hand, a friend of a friend of a HF poster said he isn't any good.
That had me chuckle quite a bit 😂😂

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl

Here's my counter assessment: He will not score 50, but with the caveat that he also might

Let me know where you want to meet to fistfight over it

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I mean, that's true for 98% of drafted players. Plenty of #3OA picks that became nothing, plenty of 5th or 7th round picks that became Datsyuk and Markov.

Yep, the days of slow-poke players who can score are over. You have to have a good blow of shoe to play in the pros. Everything in today's NHL happens faster and if you're slow you won't score. You just won't get opportunities.

Ok. Challenge accepted.

toffoli.jpg

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
In every era there are truly prolific goal scorers who are not fleet of foot actually too many to name.

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013

He didn't say he's no good, just that he won't be a top 6 forward on a good team.

I hope he is far away from Montreal scouting staff, awful statement on Roy; I hope he was a really good player and make his money because he don't seem to be a good scout at all. If I see him this summer I would tell him that quote, he will arrive in Montreal with the knife between his teeths. Compare Roy with RHP or Hudon, I just don't understand, Roy has more hockey sense in a toe than the others 2 combine in their full body.

In the last 5 years, he have 3 magistral year, a covid year and the only year he have some issue was his first in the LHJMQ because of a couple things, him first and some issues I would not talk here but he was not the only problem ... Outside of his rookie year in the LHJMQ and his debut with St-Johns, he have put 1st round number everywhere he has played since the age of 15.

2018-19 : 88pts in 42 games in Midget AAA with a streak record of 41 wins
2019-20 : 44pts in 66 games with St-Johns/LHJMQ
2020-21 : 35pts in 35 games between St-Johns & Sherbrooke/LHJMQ
2021-22 : 119 pts in 66 games with Sherbrooke/LHJMQ
2022-23 : 99pts in 55 games with Sherbrooke/LHJMQ

I don't know because of his job, if he have watch him too much in the year he got available to be draft and he got bad vibe but this is my only explanation on how he can see Roy. At least Bedard, have notice he was a hockey player and got some praise from him at the WJC.

I think he can became a very good top 6 with the support, something like Drouin in Colorado at the moment, or an elite offensive top 9 in a very deep team in the incoming years.

You have make my day with this scout statement, I have bad opinion about scout since forever and it will be a real pleasure to see him establish himself knowing someone paid to draft hockey players think he was not a good one and don't forget to keep drafting these giant pylon without an once of hockey sense.

Mark my words, this scout quote will look AWFUL in a couple years.

Reactions: HankyZetts

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Both ex Habs players are doing great with the Winnipeg. Sadly for us, is going to be a very late first round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad